Bloat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a friend with a large breed and having lost a couple of dogs to bloat , she now chooses to tack the stomach as a preventative measure. Is this normal in prone breeds?

I had never heard of this procedure until an Akita Facebook group. It seems it's becoming quite common for Akita owners (and I presume many other breeds where bloat may be more of a risk) to get the dogs stomach tacked while already under anesthetic for desexing. I thought this was really interesting and will look into it next time I get a dog.

Yep she didn't cope with not being near me either - luckily I worked at the vet hospital, but I had to sleep at work with her and couldn't leave or she went balistic in the cage (fully crate trainined no issues normally) unless she knew I was there. I could be working and no worries but if I left all hell broke loose and drips were ripped out and everything shredded.

Due to the fact she had so many abdominal surgeries - 8 in her lifetime - we had to be very careful that she healed properly so she was crated for quite a while

Our bloodhound was bloat prone, first time at 14months old he had his stomach tacked, then yearly for the next 4 years.

Our Stafford girl was 7 months old when she bloated.

Neither dogs were exercised after feeding it's just something that happened. The bloodhound had raised feeding dishes and the Stafford had hers on the ground.

Interesting tho both dogs were allergy freaks.

Ok so I have a deep chested dog and have always known about bloat but basically never really considered it to happen, you know the old tale it won't happen to me. I don't have a dog that eats super fast. Earlier tonight Oscar had his dinner, he did eat rather quickly, and soon after began almost vomiting, he then went outside ran around the yard trying to vomit and eating grass, he had never acted like this before so I was immediately concerned, I rang our closest emergency vet which is an hour away, she was great and while on the phone to her he came inside, which he wouldn't do before and she told me to keep a very close eye on him and bring him straight in if anything changed, he seems ok now and is sleeping.

SO: It was so ridiculously scary. I want to know what I can do to prevent bloat? How do others prevent bloat? He eats bones and actually had a lamb flap today, are bones ok? How long do you have until it can turn fatal?

Basically just looking for some proactive ways to make myself feel better at this point and any info from others who have either been through it or have breeds prone to it? I know I could do an internet search but really need someone to talk to me about it.

That doesn't sound like bloat. You can download, print out and put this Bloat Chart on your fridge: http://www.greatdane...oat%20Chart.pdf

There are NO preventatives to bloat there are only theories which studies contridict one another on.

You will find that when you speak to most people who dogs have bloated that none of the theories surrounding why dogs bloat were at play at the time.

If your dog is a guts then consider feeding him in a Kong Wobbler or something like that.

This video may also be helpful:

- Edited by sas

Ok so I have a deep chested dog and have always known about bloat but basically never really considered it to happen, you know the old tale it won't happen to me. I don't have a dog that eats super fast. Earlier tonight Oscar had his dinner, he did eat rather quickly, and soon after began almost vomiting, he then went outside ran around the yard trying to vomit and eating grass, he had never acted like this before so I was immediately concerned, I rang our closest emergency vet which is an hour away, she was great and while on the phone to her he came inside, which he wouldn't do before and she told me to keep a very close eye on him and bring him straight in if anything changed, he seems ok now and is sleeping.

SO: It was so ridiculously scary. I want to know what I can do to prevent bloat? How do others prevent bloat? He eats bones and actually had a lamb flap today, are bones ok? How long do you have until it can turn fatal?

Basically just looking for some proactive ways to make myself feel better at this point and any info from others who have either been through it or have breeds prone to it? I know I could do an internet search but really need someone to talk to me about it.

I have bred and owned Rottweilers and GSD for nearly thirty years and luckily have not had a bloat problem. A few guidelines that I have always stuck to. 1. Never feed an hour either side of exercise, allow dogs to calm down for at least that hour. 2 ALWAYS soak your dry food. I feed maximum of one cup of dry food , but always soaked. ( tonights dinners are soaking as I speak.We also have had our share of gulpers, so we feed smaller amounts more regularly.

Dog food manufactorers feeding guidelines are B/s so take no notice of them, they want you to use a bag a week....overkill.

I hope my hints are helpful.

Thank you, my dog was 20 months old.

:(

Any bloat in the family?

imo the propensity for bloat is familial.

Once a dog has the propensity for bloat, then environmental factors play a role in triggering the bloat episode.

For male dogs onset is younger.

Female: later onset and often at the time of their season.

If there is no inherent propensity for bloat in a dog, then it wont mater what environment factors are met, the dog will not bloat.

Edited by lilli

If there is no inherent propensity for bloat in a dog, then it wont mater what environment factors are met, the dog will not bloat.

just to be clear. Are you saying if there has never been a family member who bloated then your dog will never bloat?

How far back do you go in the pedigree?

just to be clear. Are you saying if there has never been a family member who bloated then your dog will never bloat?

I am saying, if the dog does not have the genetic propensity to bloat then the dog will not bloat.

I am saying, if the dog does not have the genetic propensity to bloat then the dog will not bloat.

And yet others refute the suggestion.

None of these theories has been scientifically proven.

I have a friend with a large breed and having lost a couple of dogs to bloat , she now chooses to tack the stomach as a preventative measure. Is this normal in prone breeds?

I had never heard of this procedure until an Akita Facebook group. It seems it's becoming quite common for Akita owners (and I presume many other breeds where bloat may be more of a risk) to get the dogs stomach tacked while already under anesthetic for desexing. I thought this was really interesting and will look into it next time I get a dog.

It is called a gastropexy - Dogs can still bloat, but not torsion.

The tacking can also come undone over time.

It is called a gastropexy - Dogs can still bloat, but not torsion.

The tacking can also come undone over time.

Thank you for that Sway. I'll have to do some research on it. Very worrying that there isn't any real way of preventing it :(

I believe dogs can still bloat with the stomach tacked, the just can't get the torsion.

That is right, they can bloat......but they are less likely to get the ishaemia due to the torsion. We have the kit, becuase we live quite a distance from the nearest vet.....naso gastric tubing placement can save your dog in an emergency, but it is not a treatment so you still have to get to a vet. I am just glad i knew waht to do at Easter or my sweet Katy-Bear might have gone into torsion.

I also use rescue remedy and Accupressure points if I think we are heading the bloat way. Ofcourse you will never know if it is what stopped it or if it was never going to happen

I do not feed my dogs high and I feed my dog RAW........I do choose small dry food like Blackhawk if I do feed dry food when I am travelling.

I agree tha it tends to be in Families, but also stress and anxiety can bring it on in dogs where it has no previous familial context.

I have had newfies since the 80's and I find it the most worrysome problem of all........

Edited by newfsie