Parvo Outbreak In Pet Stores

Ronda

More reasons for people to stay away from pet shops.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/nasty-illness-striking-down-pet-shop-puppies-20120716-226j4.html

A PUPPY virus outbreak has claimed the lives of at least four pups at Melbourne pet stores.

At least one pup has been confirmed dead at pet shop franchisor Pets Paradise while another three puppies from pet chain Passion For Pets are dead from the highly contagious canine parvovirus that causes bloody dysentery.

Panic about the virus that attacks the intestinal lining, causing ulcers in puppies has spread over Facebook and animal-lover internet sites.

Maroondah City Council confirmed it had put a three-week ban on Pets Paradise in Eastland shopping centre in Ringwood selling puppies and put sick animals in quarantine.

There are also reports of sick puppies at Pets Paradise in Fountain Gate, Narre Warren, and Southland, Cheltenham.

Passion for Pets at Carrum Downs confirmed it had six puppies of different breeds infected this month, three of which died, and a further two that were sent back to the breeder.

Animal advocates have used the outbreak to call on the governmnet to ban the sale of animals through pet shops, which they say are the retail front to inhumane puppy factories.

Managing director of Passion for Pets Chris Blackwood said the virus came from a puppy wholesaler.

"We were very quick to get on top of it," he said. "It's very rare to see parvo out in society but we vaccinate everything that comes in."

Several councils are investigating the cases, some of which link back to a Gippsland breeder that supplies the shops and which animal campaigners have labelled a "filthy puppy factory".

Pets Paradise yesterday confirmed a puppy sold at it Southland store last month had died and said the customer had been given a refund.

Animal advocates Oscars Law produced medical records that showed nine-week-old cavoodle puppy Harvey died at a Malvern East emergency centre of the virus and that another puppy from the same pet shop pen was also diagnosed.

Group founder Debra Tranter showed The Age an email exchange with Pets Paradise business manager Kristy Humphreys in which the company acknowledged other puppies were treated by the South Eastern Animal Hospital.

"All the other puppies made a full recovery and are now home enjoying their new families," Ms Humphreys wrote. She wrote that she would visit the Gippsland breeder as a matter of "high importance".

City of Casey confirmed it was investigating the Fountain Gate case, "in full co-operation with Pets Paradise".

Frankston City mayor Brian Cunial has asked officers to investigate the Southland report.

Pets Paradise would not comment on the Fountain Gate or Southland cases.

"It is of some concern that such serious allegations are being made without any particulars," lawyer Omar El-Hissi said. "We reserve our right to respond to any specific allegations made once you are in a position to provide details."

Senior veterinarian at the Melton Veterinary Clinic David Chang said young puppies and dogs that had not been vaccinated were susceptible. It can live for a year in the environment, including on concrete, making it highly contagious.

"In confinement, hygienic conditions aren't ideal with all the defecation and urination and also the stress," he said.

He said it cost at least $1500 for Parvovirus treatment. Vaccination costs about $90 a visit.

"These dogs have profuse bloody diarrhoea and what kills them is the shock and dehydration."

Pointer

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/nasty-illness-striking-down-pet-shop-puppies-20120716-226j4.html#ixzz20nNBFD79

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More reasons for people to stay away from pet shops.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/nasty-illness-striking-down-pet-shop-puppies-20120716-226j4.html

A PUPPY virus outbreak has claimed the lives of at least four pups at Melbourne pet stores.

At least one pup has been confirmed dead at pet shop franchisor Pets Paradise while another three puppies from pet chain Passion For Pets are dead from the highly contagious canine parvovirus that causes bloody dysentery.

Panic about the virus that attacks the intestinal lining, causing ulcers in puppies has spread over Facebook and animal-lover internet sites.

Maroondah City Council confirmed it had put a three-week ban on Pets Paradise in Eastland shopping centre in Ringwood selling puppies and put sick animals in quarantine.

There are also reports of sick puppies at Pets Paradise in Fountain Gate, Narre Warren, and Southland, Cheltenham.

Passion for Pets at Carrum Downs confirmed it had six puppies of different breeds infected this month, three of which died, and a further two that were sent back to the breeder.

Animal advocates have used the outbreak to call on the governmnet to ban the sale of animals through pet shops, which they say are the retail front to inhumane puppy factories.

Managing director of Passion for Pets Chris Blackwood said the virus came from a puppy wholesaler.

"We were very quick to get on top of it," he said. "It's very rare to see parvo out in society but we vaccinate everything that comes in."

Several councils are investigating the cases, some of which link back to a Gippsland breeder that supplies the shops and which animal campaigners have labelled a "filthy puppy factory".

Pets Paradise yesterday confirmed a puppy sold at it Southland store last month had died and said the customer had been given a refund.

Animal advocates Oscars Law produced medical records that showed nine-week-old cavoodle puppy Harvey died at a Malvern East emergency centre of the virus and that another puppy from the same pet shop pen was also diagnosed.

Group founder Debra Tranter showed The Age an email exchange with Pets Paradise business manager Kristy Humphreys in which the company acknowledged other puppies were treated by the South Eastern Animal Hospital.

"All the other puppies made a full recovery and are now home enjoying their new families," Ms Humphreys wrote. She wrote that she would visit the Gippsland breeder as a matter of "high importance".

City of Casey confirmed it was investigating the Fountain Gate case, "in full co-operation with Pets Paradise".

Frankston City mayor Brian Cunial has asked officers to investigate the Southland report.

Pets Paradise would not comment on the Fountain Gate or Southland cases.

"It is of some concern that such serious allegations are being made without any particulars," lawyer Omar El-Hissi said. "We reserve our right to respond to any specific allegations made once you are in a position to provide details."

Senior veterinarian at the Melton Veterinary Clinic David Chang said young puppies and dogs that had not been vaccinated were susceptible. It can live for a year in the environment, including on concrete, making it highly contagious.

"In confinement, hygienic conditions aren't ideal with all the defecation and urination and also the stress," he said.

He said it cost at least $1500 for Parvovirus treatment. Vaccination costs about $90 a visit.

"These dogs have profuse bloody diarrhoea and what kills them is the shock and dehydration."

Pointer

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/nasty-illness-striking-down-pet-shop-puppies-20120716-226j4.html#ixzz20nNBFD79

Poor puppies....and don't you just love the term 'puppy wholesaler' ...... :mad

Da da

"pet shops only buy from breeders, never from puppy farms"

Yep

Quote from the article ... a puppy wholesaler would be a puppy farm no?

Da da

Yep

Not necessarily....

I know of a "Puppy Wholesaler" who travels the state buying entire litters from "Backyard Breeders" and then on-sells these to the retail Pet Stores. He has NEVER bred a litter himself, so no, not a Farmer.

I only know how this particular 'dealer' operates, but I can assure you.... if just ONE puppy who goes through this channel has Parvo, they will ALL have Parvo.

Entire litters in the back of his car.... all in together..... no quarantine.

Often they are IMMEDIATELY on-sold to the retailer, before he could even have noticed any signs of illness.

It's bloody awful.

Da da

Yep

Not necessarily....

I know of a "Puppy Wholesaler" who travels the state buying entire litters from "Backyard Breeders" and then on-sells these to the retail Pet Stores. He has NEVER bred a litter himself, so no, not a Farmer.

I only know how this particular 'dealer' operates, but I can assure you.... if just ONE puppy who goes through this channel has Parvo, they will ALL have Parvo.

Entire litters in the back of his car.... all in together..... no quarantine.

Often they are IMMEDIATELY on-sold to the retailer, before he could even have noticed any signs of illness.

It's bloody awful.

And totally under the radar. Why doesn't DPI step in and demand the details of this 'wholesaler' to investigate their so-called procedures?

The PP at Fountain Gate is near me and I've heard of that store having parvo in it before.. just another reason to not go near it. Its just so sad, and those types of environments are just asking for trouble. They are bringing baby animals from unknown backgrounds and placing them all in close proximity to each other, is there any wonder they get sick. The sooner these places are gone the better.

All of those stores were supplied by the KKK puppy farm in Gippsland. Not sure if they still are, but a few years ago they definitely were and it sounds like they still are. They also supplied Knox. Disgusting place - google if you want to see pics.

Guest RosieFT

i should not have googled them, or maybe i should have. That is despicable and amazing that it can go on. How horrible and upsetting. Who does that? :cry:

Puppy wholesaler?? "It's very rare to see Parvo in the community"????

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Liar liar pants on fire. :laugh:

The manner in which litters are acquired before they are vaccinated and split across several stores in a franchise, then allowed to be handled by the public contributes to the problem.

The puppies are generally removed from their mothers at 5 weeks old and sent off to shops while they are still small and cute. Parvo isn't the only problem either - they also once sent off a whole batch of pups with ringworm. Lovely surprise to take home when you buy your new pup...

All of those stores were supplied by the KKK puppy farm in Gippsland. Not sure if they still are, but a few years ago they definitely were and it sounds like they still are. They also supplied Knox. Disgusting place - google if you want to see pics.

"Knox?" I have Googled without luck. Could you please post a link or a few more details to help with a search?

The PP at Fountain Gate is near me and I've heard of that store having parvo in it before.. just another reason to not go near it. Its just so sad, and those types of environments are just asking for trouble. They are bringing baby animals from unknown backgrounds and placing them all in close proximity to each other, is there any wonder they get sick. The sooner these places are gone the better.

They always have full windows at Fountain Gate and there are always hoards of people oooing and ahhing at them.

If i'm with my mum or nephews i always say in a loud voice how vile the shop is and where those puppies come from.