When Is It Time?

Sankari

When do you feel the right "time" is for your dog? Do you base it by more bad than good days? Dog is off food?

I ask this as we are taking Charlotte to her vet in an hour to talk about her quality. The disease is very debilitating for her now and she is having more days of being unwell and lethargic than days where she's happy. She will still eat and drink fine, her weight is not coming up despite all efforts to try abd help her and i think her time is here :(

Btw she has Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and has been on prednisolone for 13 months.

Big hugs.

It is hard when it isn't obvious. For me in the past if I have had to ask the question then it hasn't quite been the time. Each time I have known 100% when it was time. But then again I think it is better to let them go a bit earlier than too late. Not helpful, hey?

Not eating has always been a big factor for me. And not getting out of bed.

Your vet may not give you an answer, they don't seem to like to.

The only time I've had to deal with this was with a guinea pig - I mention her, as she was a little glutton who ate right up until the end, no going off food for her. She had progressively lost movement in her back legs (we still don't know why). Each time I made the decision, since she seemed to be worsening, she would rally again and improve. It was one of the hardest decisions that I had to make - the night I made it, she was the worst that I'd seen her... typically, she had appeared to improve by morning, but I made the decision, as the night before was the worst that I had seen her, and felt in my heart, that she would only continue to get worse over time. Even now, I wonder if I should have made the decision earlier, and wonder if she suffered because I didn't... I hope not.

The hardest part for me was the conversation that I had with the vet. Being a true professional (she was a vet I trusted and respected), she offered me several treatment options. I ended up having to say something like, "you know the conversation that we're not having", as I think she didn't want me to feel like I was being pushed into making "that" decision. I mention this, as some vets either don't seem to want to discuss it, or offer it as an option.

I don't know if this helps you and all, but I hope in some small way it might.

My heart goes out to you having to make this decision.

It's a tough one :-( You have to step back and try not to be too emotional about it (as hard as it is). You would rather it be a little too soon then too late..... Something that has been eating at me since my young one died was that I wish I could have been there for her when she passed. I wish I had that choice to put her to sleep gently with her in my arms...

People talk about when quality of life has gone. I have a dog with Cushings and other issues and I'm hoping the medication will help but he will tell me when he's ready to leave me, I am convinced of that.

Yes, I agree. Such a hard call to make and we can only do our best when it happens to us and make the best decision for our dogs, based on all available knowledge. I always remember that it is their journey, not ours, and as loving owners we are here to help them through.

Thank you for the replies. I think we are close to giving Charlotte her wings. Such a sweet gentle soul. I think she could go on quite a bit longer, however i feel she is ready now. I am trying to find out the best people to go with for her cremation.

Thank you everyone, it is a very hard time. we are spending the day with her tomorrow spoiling her etc and Saturday morning the vet will give Charlotte her wings. Shes a special girl to us all and to those who met her, seen the wonderful happy go lucky dog she is.

It's such a hard decision to make, we just knew with our old boy.

Enjoy your time together tomorrow, I'm sure you have enough memories to last you a lifetime and more.

Big hugs to you and softly cuddles for Charlotte.

When do you feel the right "time" is for your dog? Do you base it by more bad than good days? Dog is off food?

I ask this as we are taking Charlotte to her vet in an hour to talk about her quality. The disease is very debilitating for her now and she is having more days of being unwell and lethargic than days where she's happy. She will still eat and drink fine, her weight is not coming up despite all efforts to try abd help her and i think her time is here :(

Btw she has Systemic Lupus Erythematosus and has been on prednisolone for 13 months.

You know how they say you just know... Well that is exactly how it was with Ollie dog...

He was fine the day before and was running and bouncing through the sprinklers at the park, having a ball..

The next day, I had to go out and didn't get back until after lunch. When I got home my son said Ollie isn't well.. I came in to sit with him and he stood up and vomited.. Then he looked at me and I knew, I just knew...

He had been more unwell than this before but his look said it all, he had had enough.

He fought MCT for 6 years and he was tired..

So I called the vet, we took him up a couple of hours later and our wonderful vet gave him an anesthetic, we stayed and said goodbye and then we let him go...

It's hard and heartbreaking but it is also the most unselfish thing you can do for them when they need to be let go.

You know how they say you just know... Well that is exactly how it was with Ollie dog...

He was fine the day before and was running and bouncing through the sprinklers at the park, having a ball..

The next day, I had to go out and didn't get back until after lunch. When I got home my son said Ollie isn't well.. I came in to sit with him and he stood up and vomited.. Then he looked at me and I knew, I just knew...

He had been more unwell than this before but his look said it all, he had had enough.

He fought MCT for 6 years and he was tired..

So I called the vet, we took him up a couple of hours later and our wonderful vet gave him an anesthetic, we stayed and said goodbye and then we let him go...

It's hard and heartbreaking but it is also the most unselfish thing you can do for them when they need to be let go.

with all of mine it has been a similar journey.. you just look in their eyes and know..

blessings

helen