Our Battle With Osteosarcoma

silentchild

Thank you all again. :)

Emma is doing well still, haven't had to give her Tramadol since, but knowing me typing it here is gonna jinx it *touch wood*. She is happy as ever and doesn't seem to be deteriorating, though miss lazy bones seems to put herself to bed a bit earlier nowadays. Have to stop by the vets to top up her medication today, am so so glad she hasn't had a bad day since. *touch wood x100000*

Emma received some pressies in the mail yesterday (thank you so much!!), so of course, here is her trademark balancing trick as most of yous who go in the Rottie thread knows. :laugh: I was too soft on her, next time I'm gonna have to make her balance at least ten on her nose!

I love this photo, she looks so happy like "Hurry up with the photo mum so I can eat!!!!"

post-23932-0-27104000-1346715367_thumb.jpg

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all, probably time for an update but there really isn't much to update (thank god for that!). Emma is still cruising along very nicely, happy and full of life, yesterday nearly pulled me off my feet trying to say Hi to the neighbour's dog through the fence. I am glad that she is still with me and as pain-free as she can be, obviously not 100% pain free as she still limps around a little, but not in enough pain to really hinder her or stop her from being the crazy exuberant girl she is. Still no need for Tramadol yet, touch wood and thank the lucky stars, somewhere there must be an angel looking over her! :)

She's developed a fair bit of muscle I think, she looks great and is in really nice condition. I've been cutting down her food intake so she doesn't get too porky but she looks really excellent at the moment, save for the cancerous shoulder that is just sunken in. The lump is still the same size too, I am so so grateful for that. Just need to slim that waist down a little....

I can't be too comfortable yet, it has only been about 2 months since her diagnosis and since the prognosis was 3 months left to live, anything could still happen at anytime.. I can only hope that angel keeps watching over her!

• 3 weeks later...

Oops, so sorry for the lack of updates! Thank you all for thinking of Emma and checking in on her. :) The truth is, there hasn't been much to update about! Emma is still cruising along very nicely, bless her soul and thank the angels. My mountain of Tramadol pills are just sitting in the medicine cabinet going to waste.... :thumbsup:

This will be the last month she has to live according to the vets, so let's see if she does deteriorate or if she defies all odds and keeps chugging along, my little trooper. She has been doing so well lately. Maybe it is all the herbs/medication, maybe it is the good diet, who knows.

Sometimes I wonder if keeping her alive is cruel, as she can no longer go for long walks or jump around in rough play which she loves. All she does really is sleep (her favourite pastime), potter around the backyard munching on grass, and being spoilt, cuddled and smooched on every other second. I try to keep her entertained with at least some form of training every day for mental stimulation, teaching her new tricks, polishing up on her nose balancing, etc. She always enjoys these daily sessions. She doesn't go stir-crazy and I don't think she really cares about not going on walks, but I often stare at her and wonder if she is miserable. Especially as we stop her everytime she tries to do crazy zoomies. She looks at me like "Why am I not allowed to run anymore??? :( :( :( " I wonder if I am keeping her like those terrible pet owners who have dogs but never take them out of the house for walks or fun times. :(

The cat has been an absolute blessing however, keeping Emma company on days when we go to work, they start and end each day with games such as Pounce On The Rottie Tail, Hide N Seek, Tap Your Nose, Sniff My Butt, Ninja Rolls, Protect The Crate, Jump On The Humans At 3am and much more. I believe Emma would be terribly bored and miserable without the cat to play with, what a blessing she is, I don't think I'd be comfortable keeping her alive without her playmate to keep her entertained.

Anyway, her spoiling continues and the other night it was really warm so we got her very first Maccas soft serve cone. Don't shoot me, it's probably bad for the cancer but she LOVED it so much!!!

2w3unud.jpg

ERHMAHHGEERRDD!!!

11rzksp.jpg

And here are some recent pics of Emma with her best friend. :D

2wh1f1c.jpg

eqavif.jpg

I'm thinking of taking a daily photo type thing of Emma Balancing Something On Her Nose while I still have the chance, so after she is long gone I will have a nice compendium of photos of her with her signature trick to remember her by... slightly peeved at the moment cause my phone just died and I lost ALL of my photos of her, I had so many precious photos of her stored in it, so upsetting...

Anyway, Emma thanks you all again for reading her update, fingers crossed she will keep staying healthy and happy and strong and defy what all the vets said and be able to stay with us for a long time. :)

ETA : OMG sorry for the huge photos!!! I tried to resize but it didn't work? :eek::confused:

Edited by silentchild

I am rapt that Emma continues to be well and happy. Thank you so much for the update. She still looks absolutely gorgeous and by the sounds of it her fantastic comical personality is still there. :thumbsup: :D :happydance2:

Oh and she deserves an occasion treat like ice cream. After all it is all about quality of life now.

Where the photos safed to your phone memeroy or your SIM card? It may be possible to retrieve them. I love the idea of constant photos. They are so very important when they are no longer physically here.

Huge huge hugs to both you and Emma.

Great photos SC. I love the bulgy eyes when she is eating the ice cream. Nellie does exactly the same thing when it is something she really loves. And you are not bad for giving it to her. Short walks are ok, she will get a sniff, that is what they love. Pretty cat and it is good they get on. Big hugs Emma, so glad she is going along so well. I certainly don’t think you are being cruel, as long as she is interested in food and is playful why would you think you were being cruel.

Thanks guys, I guess I just get a little bit worried that she will be too bored without much walks and worry about how that will affect her quality of life. :o You are right of course MrR&NR, as long as she seems happy & content I should stop worrying so much... Hoping to take her on a short walk sometime this week, preferably when it's super quiet like really late at night so there's not much that could excite her and possibly put strain on the leg...

Thanks for the kind words to a paranoid worrywart like me. :)

ETA : Grumpette, the photos were on the phone memory which got completely wiped as soon as I plugged it into iTunes (I have an iPhone). :( Don't know if it's possible to recover anything!

Edited by silentchild

Hi SC. It is wonderful to hear Emma is travelling so well. Great she hasn't needed pain killers for a while now.

What you are doing sounds awesome, even the maccas ice cream. Whatever makes her happy is exactly what the doctor ordered. And I just love the photos. Hopefully you can retrieve the lost ones from your phone somehow, but if you can't, I am sure they are etched there in your mind.

You know, all that wondering you are doing about Emma, now she is where she is at is all perfectly normal and expected. This phase you and Emma are going through is more about time being provided for you to adjust than anything else, and your thoughts are exactly that... you adjusting. These things take time. You are now able to deal with these thoughts in a different way than earlier in Emma's diagnosis.

Emma is fine, she is dealing with her different life, don't worry about her, she is coping and it doesn't sound like it is quite her time just yet. I am sure she is happy. And I am relieved to hear that you are coping also. Not that any of this is easy for you, I can barely imagine what you are going through and how brave you have had to be, but you are gradually preparing yourself to be ready to let go when the time eventually comes.

I hope you come up with lots of different and bizarre things to balance on Emma's nose for photos. I look forward to seeing some of them.

This is the first time I have posted in Emma's topic but I just wanted to send my best wishes. She looks like such a gorgeous girl.

I think a piece of red paper cut into a love heart would look good on her nose. :)