Our Battle With Osteosarcoma

silentchild

Quick update : Emma has suddenly developed diarrhea overnight out of the blue. :( I'm not sure what the cause is. She had roo meat for the first time this week so maybe it's that? But she's been having it since Monday and only just got the runs yesterday. Or maybe some of the meat was a bit off? I don't know. :( She had the squints before bed last night and woke me at 5am this morning desperate to go again, been fairly unsettled and drinking lots of water. I felt quite uncomfortable leaving her to go to work this morning but I am watching her through my webcam from my office. Will probably leave work at midday today to stay home with her.

Anyway, will be putting her on chicken and rice tonight to settle her stomach, if it's still bad tomorrow I'm ringing the vets. Not sure if I should keep the meds going while she has the runs. Can't possibly be the medication causing it, she's been on it for months now and never a problem? :confused: Poor girl.

ETA : Good lord I come home and I find she has thrown up all last night's dinner & this morning's breakfast all over her bed, it is the most foulest thing I have ever smelt in the world........ that's the end of that bed.

Poor girl, I hope she feels better getting all that out of her system, straight on to chicken and rice for you tonight! I hope she gets better by tomorrow. :( How long does it normally take for a dog to get over the runs?

Edited by silentchild

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've rang both her vets and am going to fast her for 24 hours before starting on the chicken and rice. Will also be holding off on her meds until she starts to recover, bit worried that she will go downhill without the painkillers to sustain her tho. Vet says to put her back on the meloxicam if she doesn't vomit again tonight so that her time off painkillers is minimal... Herbs will be put back gently after 2-3 days. I'm worried it might be something blocking the gut but I guess wait and see. She is still cheerful and bright otherwise.

Hope Emma's tummy upset settles soon SC, and it is just a transient thing, nothing more sinister.

Please let us know how she goes.

She could take anything from already being fine to a couple of days if it is just a tummy bug. My guess is it will settle fairly quickly. Just play it by ear.

Stomach ulcers owing to meds can cause this sort of thing, but I would expect she might also be feeling nausea, therefore would not eat, and you didn't mention that. That is the only thing I could think of that would mean it was the meds and could happen after a while. But I am sure if the vet thought it was an ulcer he would have said so.

All the best SC.

Feel better Emma.

Thanks Dyzney and MrR&NR. Emma is ok, she was a little flat last night and just lay in bed looking miserable, I guess from maybe hunger and tired from constantly pooping water plus the huge vomit. She was very confused when her bowl remained empty at dinnertime!

She is much better today, back to being bouncy and full of energy. I've just started her on her first tiny meal of chicken and rice and am watching her like a hawk hopefully she won't throw it back up!!! Made her some chicken stock too which she lapped up ravenously. Her diarrhea is still here, but she's only pooped once today rather than having to go every 3 hours like yesterday, so I hope that is a good sign.

Fingers crossed she manages to hold her food down and two days without painkillers won't be too hard on her.

Hooorahh Emma pooped!!!! Its no longer the consistency of water but instead the shape of tiny little pellets about the size of my little finger. Very very little poop and still rather sloppy so I'm still worried but it holds its shape and I'm just glad she's no longer gushing liquid poo like a waterfall!

I've never been so excited about poop in my life...

Hi.

Emma's story is giving me some hope. Thanks so much for sharing it.

I am starting on the same journey with my Boxer Rosie - x-rays this morning showed likely osteosarcoma in her shoulder.

I was wondering what holistic vet you went to as I'm wanting to try some natural remedies as well as the Rimadyl and Tramadol from the Monash vet.

Thanks

Daniela

Have PMed you apexboxers, I'm so sorry to hear about your girl. :(

Emma is playing with my emotions, last night her poop went back to being nice and firm and solid, but this morning it has gone runny and sloppy again. Maybe it's because I gave her some pumpkin last night with the chicken and rice too. We'll see how she goes tonight. :mad I've got her a new bed, one of those ones that are supposed to be good for joints, and have got the air-con to auto turn-on for her when the temperature rises to 34degrees today in Melbourne... what a pampered pooch.

Unfortunately no Dyz, still rather moist. Not liquid but not firm hard either. :S I have started her completely back on her herbs tho and I don't really like giving too much rice to a cancer dog so am going to blend up lots of pumpkin, banana etc instead of rice to help things along. Have also started mixing back some of her raw into her meals, I don't think chicken and rice can possibly be very nutritious! Hopefully it will firm back up soon. :S

Thanks Grumpette and Dyz. I hope it firms up soon too. :( Thanks for the tip re. sweet potato, I will try that.

In my rush to get to prepare her breakfast before getting to work this morning I accidentally tipped in a whole jar of MSM instead of her breakfast meds into her food. *facepalm* So so stupid of me, and such a waste of MSM. I scooped most of it out but that means will have to go back to the vet to get some more since it's all wasted now. :mad My temper has been rather short lately and I am ashamed to say I've been a bit less than patient with Emma nowadays. I think the constant hassle of the daily dealings with her medication, her diet, the careful monitoring of her exercise, the constant worry etc etc is all starting to catch up with me. Almost lost it with her this morning when she lunged herself away from my hand on her collar in her excitement to go say Hi to the dog next door (who was threatening to bring the fence down, goddamn I hate that neighbour's dog), and decided to fling herself off the deck and land on her bad leg. (don't you know your leg is fragile, dog?! Why do you do these things!! asddfsjhsdfjkkl) (She was fine btw.)

I think I need to meditate or something, I would hate for the last thing I say to Emma be some cuss word lol. I just feel so tired. :coffee: But then I look into her soft brown eye when she nudges my hand with her nose and I know it's all worth it and I wouldn't change a thing.

*edited because I forgot she only has one eye now instead of 'eyes', lol

Edited by silentchild

SC please be kind to yourself. It does get so stressful and over whelming. The constant worry and attention to detail. The endless what ifs, don't do this or that. There is very little chill out time like there used to be. It does slowly wear you down.

I guess we need to ease up a little and just be with and enjoy our sick dogs and not think about all the medicine and what ifs. After all they are living in the moment and enjoying life, which is what we want.

Huge hugs to you and Emma

Edited by grumpette

Hi SC. I am sorry, I just read your last post.

I bet you were just having one of those down days. We all have 'em... and you are dealing with a lot at the moment. The emotional roller coaster you are on with Emma is totally normal. That said, I do understand perfectly how guilty you must feel when you are feeling frustrated with Emma. It must be so hard for you :hug:

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Emma will cope with your moods, feelings and outbursts just fine. She adores you no matter what. What you are feeling and the way you react to her behaviours does not mean you love her any less. You are tired, a little overwhelmed and human.

You are coming to terms with things, and that is all part of the process. The initial shock of her diagnosis has worn off and you are now having to deal with day to day "stuff" almost as you were previously, but now with all the additional work load and stresses. What you are going through is natures way of letting you know that you are going to be OK. :kissbetter:

Edited by dyzney