Is There Any Things Said About Your Breed...

Baileys mum

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

No she doesn't shed much, I catch it all in the brush. Yes she requires brushing most days at least a few times per week. Yes she is very spoilt and i do want more :p

Wow this thread is making me realise just how many myths and false statements joe public actually believe. Working in the pet industry I hear it all. One I get all the time is "But I cant feed my dog RAW meat, he will get a taste for blood and turn into a nasty dog" :rofl: Some people really are stupid!

I often get "Is that a Miniature Collie"

"No! Its a Shetland Sheepdog"

"Oh, they are the timid ones"

"Well clearly you havent met mine!"

Oh and "Wow you must have a lot of land if you own Border Collies"

"No, I dont"

"But dont your dogs go crazy, they need sooooo much exercise"

Edited by Fuzzydog

I've been told that my chow has a heart/circulation problem cos she has a black tongue. Because she's cream we also get is she a Samoyed, and when I walk her with my mal I get asked if she's his baby. :-/

Oh and the is she a lion, is she a bear comments most often.

No, my dog is not a sheep (Grumpy).Fortunately, aside from getting mistaken for a mini schnauzer on occasion, Mini just tends to get 'Awwwww, isn't she cute!'

Believe it or not Olle has actually had people baa in his face. To which he responds by barking back at them and proving them completely wrong.

We also get asked if he is an oodle a lot, but on one memorable occasion I did get asked if he was an Irish wolfhound. I can only assume she meant a wolfhound puppy but she didn't actually specify.

Edited by emgem

Guest Arcane

These are not breeds I own, but how do owner/breeder of German Shepherd Dogs cope with the 'alsation' thing? & breeder/owner of Australian Cattle Dogs cope with the 'blue/red heeler' thing.

Both are so common and annoy the crap out of me and I don't even own/breed them!

Edited by Arcane

These are not breeds I own, but how do owner/breeder of German Shepherd Dogs cope with the 'alsation' thing? & breeder/owner of Australian Cattle Dogs cope with the 'blue/red heeler' thing.

Both are so common and annoy the crap out of me and I don't even own/breed them!

People often ask me if my sheps are the Alsation type, when i ask them why they say oh because they are bigger set, straight back ect and thats what the Alsation type of shepherd is. Most people are suprised when you tell them that they are the same breed and explain the whole Alsation/GSD name change thing.There is one guy that reguarly pats them that keeps insisting that GSDs are part of the Spitz family. I have given up trying to convince him otherwise lol

My German Shepherds, yes they are meant to be that size, they are not meant to be huge. (NB: Miss Molly just scrapes into the standard height wise).

I get that too! My smaller girls often get mistaken for puppies - the vet nurses couldn't believe one was 6 years old rather than 6 months old like she thought!

Also makes me laugh when people comment that I mustn't show my dogs (which I do), because they don't have the slopey backs and funny back legs like the show dogs do...

Edited by ish

Today's gem is that border collies are not a herding breed and they don't eat meat. Apparently they will spit it out as that is how they have been bred. :rofl:

:eek::rofl:

Gee, we could make a mint breeding and selling so called 'vegetarian dogs' to all of the hippies and new-age trendy people. :laugh:

All over the internet I have read that Border Collie x Jack Russells make the worst pet ever, are hyperactive, snappy, insane...(Case in point). My one is the sweetest, best behaved dog out, and from what I have seen the other crosses like that are pretty similar, nuts when working I will admit, but loving couch potatoes at home. So please people stop telling me my dog MUST be psychotic! Oh and no, she's not a "borderjack", she is a mutt, and no I don't find that term offensive... Get over it!

Mine - yes, they are big. Yes, they are similar to hairy greyhounds. No, they don't eat that much. Yes they do run fast. No they're not "Lassie" crosses.

And yes they are stunning aren't they? And very sweet-natured.

Arya (my daughter's Borzoi) has turned me into a massive fan. Alyosha breeding :)

Just about everyone comments on how stunning she is. But I am going off topic because there is no need to correct them.

Edited by Zug Zug

My pet hate is when you. Try to tell them the truth about what misconception they are sprouting they refuse to believe you and keep insisting they are correct...bangs head on window...

I had a pet shop girl continually correct me by say as the grandfather of these puppies was a champion and hip scored, the pups are absolutely fine and always will be...ummm, that's not how it works love...

(score for me though, people looking at golden pups did walk out..lol)

No, my lappie doesn't drop hair everywhere, no, he doesn't get "really hot all the time" and no, I don't have to bath him a few times a week.

When he was little, I got asked if he was an alsation or German shepherd a lot. The vet nurse who was there when i took him in to get desexed was convinced that he was a German shepherd.