Is There Any Things Said About Your Breed...

Baileys mum

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Arcane

Everyone asks what DeeDee is crossed with, usually a Scottie or a Schnauzer, occasionally Corgi. When I tell them she is a purebred champion Skye Terrier their eyes glaze over. It seems if people have never heard of or seen a breed then it must not exist!

No my siberian husky is not part wolf,

yes he's a siberian husky,

no he doesn't have blue eyes,

no they don't all have blue eyes,

no he won't attack your children,

no he won't eat your small dog,

yes he does shed a lot.

Yes he is trainable.

Yes my puppy is a finnish lapphund,

no she's not a couch potato (she's a 20 week old working breed puppy!),

no she doesn't get really hot with the coat,

no I won't shave her.

It's an Afghan Hound

Yes they originally came from Afghanistan

No I don't clip his back that is a natural coat pattern

No they are not born with all that coat

No I don't bath him every day

No they are not stupid,

They were bred to hunt independently, without human intervention.

Yes I know your mother's, brother's, best friend's, uncle had one back in the 70's

No you don't see a lot of them these days

Yes they come in all colours

No it is not just like your neighbours lab@#$%oodle!

I used to think the Alsatians were the long haired GSDs.

And I'm sick of people asking me what sort of cross my dog is (Australian Shepherd) and when I say what she is they mutter something about designer breeds. Or else they ask me if I'm sure as she looks nothing like aGerman Shepherd!

Last weekend I has someone tell me she looked like a CKCS. I was puzzled by that one! Especially as one was crossing the road just in front of us.

No, she is not a pitbull.

No, she doesn't have lockjaw.

No, she will not eat my children.

(BT)

No he is not stupid .( Dally). :banghead:

lol to the lockjaw!! we get this ALL the time, damn media...

Dallys are not stupid, they just outsmart most people

Lots of people also are pretty amazed that we walk a red nose and a spotty dog together comments that often fly are:

Do they get along - Of Course they do, they are pretty much inseparable

But arnt you scared she will kill him - No, she has very high tolerance to annoying puppies!

Do you have to keep her locked up - No, she likes to play tug and sun bake, we have no need

Ow but one day she will turn on you - Highly unlikely, tummy scratches are her weakness

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Weimaraner

- Not they are not Greyhounds because they are grey

- No they don't all get Separation Axiety and can't be away from their owners

English Setter

- Hear the word "Setter" and automatically assume I mean Irish and reply with "We had those back in the 70s, they are really dumb" to which i reply that none of the setter breeds are dumb, and that they are all intelligent, independant thinkers.

- Is that a Dalmatian Cross?

- (Because of his droopy eyes) he is sad.

Old English Sheepdog

- It's cruel to keep them in all that coat

- That they are blind in the blue eye

- No I don't use their hair to make paintbrushes for Dulux (That one was particularly hilarious)

No, she is not a pitbull.

No, she doesn't have lockjaw.

No, she will not eat my children.

(BT)

No he is not stupid .( Dally). :banghead:

Yes I can so relate to this with my bull terriers. I'm thinking of getting t-shirts printed up for them "I am not a pitbull"

(Not that there's anything wrong with that of course :))

About my Golden Retriever 'ohhh what a beautiful long-haired labrador!'

Love labs but get it gets annoying. He's a golden retriever dammit!

A bossy man at a dog obedience club (a student, not an instructor)told me my Goldens were actually long-haired Labs. I said no, they're not. He assured me they were. I argued the toss, even pointing out their different countries of origin. He was having none of it. I ended up walking off in frustration, saying 'okay, you win' but it was pretty clear to him that I did not accept what he said. Who could be bothered arguing with a know-it-all?

''You need a German Shepherd for protection'' - Actually I don't. The reason I got a GSD is because I have loved the breed my entire life. It has nothing to do with my relationship status/ or the fact I live alone in xxxx area.

''Can your dog bite me on the arm like I saw the dogs do on TV/ Military dog demo's?'' - No, you can't. I don't care if you have a thick jumper and really want to try. I want to try it too, but fact is my dog is not trained to do that and neither am I.

Greyhound - he must need heaps of walking (no, less than the great dane!), he must be vicious (when he was muzzled, now has a Greenhound collar), he's too skinny.

Great dane - she must eat a lot, she's too big for you to walk, and she's not a dane, she's a weimaraner (she's actually a small blue great dane), must be good guard dog (will smooch for cuddles!).

The earlier poster that asked about greys wearing muzzles, in NSW it's an old law that has only recently been changed to allow them to be assessed for a Greenhound collar, and this entitles them to be muzzle free when on lead.

My understanding of the law is that it was because the greyhounds were taught to chase prey when being taught to race, so it was to stop them attacking small animals when out and about - although on lead, this would not be an issue I would have thought, and also they tend to nip when they are excited in race. Harry used to nip us on the bum when he first came to us, but we taught him not to, so no issue now. Our Harry has no perceptible prey drive (that's probably why he flunked training!) so him getting a Greenhound collar wasn't too hard. He's also the most tolerant dog I have met. When we are out and about and people, especially kids, approach him, he just stands there and let's them pat and cuddle him, and has never reacted badly to being approacehd by any person or animal.

You tell people you have Malinois ... there are 3 options

1) they nod cross eyed pretending to know what they are with an unconvincing 'ohhh those'

2) they think I own Malamutes

3) they have not an idea even when I say Belgian shepherd, short hair. Then we proceed to the 'you know on the American police shows those funny tan dogs that look like german shepherd crosses? Those' then you see the light bulb.

Saying that I cannot complain that they are unpopular. Rather that then more ending up in rescue.

Last week I met a guy who works with a scent detection dog (he didn't train it, just works with it), and we got talking about malinois. I said something about malinois, and he then referred to them several times as "Belgian malamutes" and told me how he had worked with Belgian malamutes in the army.

1342598867[/url]' post='5902680']

White Swiss Shepherd Dogs are not the same as white German Shepherds. They are separate breeds with different structures and temperaments. They are not, as one person recently told me, 'GSD scraps' :-(

jawdrop.gif

I've also been told they are an abomination, a worthless mutt and that they shouldn't exist. I've been told by others they are just a GSD with a different name just so we can get more money for the pups. Apparently they are also a dog with no purpose. These comments are all just from this year :-(

My mains registered German Shepherd Dog is NOT an 'Alsatian'. I've had more than one expert proclaim that the reason he is so big is that he is an Alsatian (not a German Shepherd), or that the black and gold are German Shepherds and the sables are Alsatians. I've tried to explain Alsatian is not a breed and that they are all German Shepherds but generally fail to educate anyone.