Is There Any Things Said About Your Breed...

Baileys mum

I've got an Italian Greyhound. Mostly people just accuse me of underfeeding him lol.. he's anything but! Unfortunately mine is also a spectacularly crap example of the breed temperament wise because he's very shy.. so I spent a lot of time explaining to people that they're not all this shy! Mine is shy as as a direct result of poor puppy socialization :(

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they don't eat the stuff in the can even though it has a picture of their breed on it.

LOL Boronia! I get that all the time! People are amazed when I say that mine get human grade raw food mainly - and start to get the idea when I ask them if they would eat the unsatisfying muck in the can!

Apart from that I just get amazement and comments about 'how gorgeous' my guys are - particularly when I'm walking all three at once and they are walking beautifully on lead! (No mean feat for late learners from a notorious puppy farm!). :)

I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this topic! It's been so funny and interesting.

Just to add my own experiences to this: with my German Shorthaired Pointer pup a few times people have asked if he's "some sort of spaniel" .and with my Staffy Kelpie X (who is the height/length of a small Staff, and brindle in colour) I've had "I can't see any Staffy in that"

"Oh, I want a German Shepherd but they are too big and shed too much, I should get one of those instead". (Pointing at my Malinois).

LOL I got this one when I was at the airport with one of the mal puppies. "Oh I live in an apartment, so a mini German Shepherd would be PERFECT for me!" (When asked what the pup was I said a Belgian Malinois, after the blank expression, I added 'a bit like a GSD just slightly smaller') :eek::rofl: No amount of explaining would sway this lady :laugh:

Edited by huski

I got asked to google Tea-Cup Chihuahuas yesterday. I did my best to say they're not a "real" breed...there's just normal Chihuahuas... embarrass.gif got funny looks :(

Luckily, we ended up on the DOL puppies page for Chihuahuas where it said that Tea Cup Chis are a scam :D

I mostly get asked if she's hyper, I say "nope, give her enough exercise and she's fine"...people tend to not realise that dalmatians were, after all, bred to run all day long.Although as far as dallies go, she's pretty laid back.

I've also heard the "they're dumb" line...no, they're so smart, they'll work out whether it's worth their while to do your bidding! Cleo is really intelligent and sometimes it is extremely frustrating trying to work with that.

I don't so much get annoyed at assumptions about my breed, but all other breeds mostly. I work in a pet store, you can imagine what I hear :(

My mum is a bit of an offender though, I must admit. Im sure if she had have known we were getting Cleo BEFORE we paid for her, she would've said something negative. Apparently, weims are not intelligent (highly doubt that, and one day i WILL get a longhair weim!)...oh I could go on but it's getting late and I've worked a big day lol. Every breed I mention to mum though has some negative point!

Been reading this thread and having a laugh. Although some of it just makes me wonder. When walking Joey questions/comments I get are normally:

is he a greyhound?

is he a baby greyhound?

You need to feed your dog more.

He looks like a tiger.

How much exercise does he need?

Dose he eat much?

The one that takes the cake is "Is he a pitbull?" No he is not, hes a whippet. Followed by "Bet my red nosed pitbull can beat your dog in a fight." :doh:

I went walking with Brennan, my friend and her 2 Belgian Tervuren's recently. The comments we got was amazing:

Person: ''Ooh I love German Shepherds''

Me: ''Thanks so do I :)''

Person: *Looks at the Belgians* ''The long haired German Shepherds are quite cute aren't they?''

Me: ''Yes they are, however these dogs are Belgian Shepherds''

Person:''Oh they come from Belgium?''

My friend: ''Yes, and there are 4 distinct varieties of Belgian Shepherds my 2 are Tervuren's''.

Person: ''Ahh I see so they are German Shepherds that are bred in Belgium?''

Me: ''No, they are a completely different breeds''.

Person: ''But they are similar colours''

Me: ''Yes they have similar colours, but you can also see a difference here in the face shape''.

Person:'' Do they have long haired German Shepherds?''

Me:''Yes they do''.

No, I don't have to wipe out their wrinkles every single day.

No, they haven't had a facelift.

No, they are not sad.

No they are not vicious.

There is nothing wrong with their tongues they are meant to be like that;

and on one memorable occasion - no she is not a red nose pitbull - her nose is liver coloured because she is a lilac Shar Pei!

My favourite "misconception" about Poodles is that they are prissy. People have asked me that before - she's so cute, but is she a bit prissy?

What does that even MEAN? :doh: Yeah, she refuses to leave the house without doing her makeup and she bites me when she's not immaculately groomed? She won't walk on wet grass? She's a fricking dog. Prissy is a stupid description of ANYTHING, let alone a breed of dog!

:offtopic: Do Greyhounds have to wear muzzles in VIC? I can't remember ever seeing them with muzzles on down here?

Yep, they do unless they've passed the Greyhound RAcing Vic (GRV) assessment program, and are wearing a green GAP collar. I've actually seen a few greys without muzzles on around here, which don't wear the green collar, so I'm assuming the owners are being naughty..

Just to clarify - the requirement that they wear muzzles is because the legislation considers greyhounds to be "livestock" rather than companion animals, as they're bred to race. That's all :)

I keep getting told that dogs from the pound have issues...

Mine doesn't, well only ones from me, she was 10 weeks old when i got her. She hates busy roads because I've never taught her not to.

and

"She's submissive or timid"

Because she crawls up to dogs she wants to greet and sometimes rolls over.

I'm pretty sure if she was "submissive" she'd do what she was told more often and if she was timid - she'd be avoiding dogs and people not seeking them out.

And your dog is so well behaved (at dog club greetings), mine is balistic and I can't do a thing about it.

Erm - mine was balistic too when she first started at dog club... And for certain friends... we still turn it on. Eddieeeee !!!!!!

The one that takes the cake is "Is he a pitbull?" No he is not, hes a whippet. Followed by "Bet my red nosed pitbull can beat your dog in a fight." :doh:

Yeah? He'd have to catch him first :laugh:

Had a very dominant SBT rush up to my dogs when I was out walking them. I let Howard offlead (we were on an oval). He ran the SBT ragged. :)

:offtopic: Do Greyhounds have to wear muzzles in VIC? I can't remember ever seeing them with muzzles on down here?

Yep, they do unless they've passed the Greyhound RAcing Vic (GRV) assessment program, and are wearing a green GAP collar. I've actually seen a few greys without muzzles on around here, which don't wear the green collar, so I'm assuming the owners are being naughty..

Just to clarify - the requirement that they wear muzzles is because the legislation considers greyhounds to be "livestock" rather than companion animals, as they're bred to race. That's all :)

Thanks Alkhe, yes the owners near me are naughty then :laugh:

Yeah? He'd have to catch him first :laugh:

Had a very dominant SBT rush up to my dogs when I was out walking them. I let Howard offlead (we were on an oval). He ran the SBT ragged. :)

I remember being at a dog park and my Aussie was playing with a Whippet, they were doing zoomies and Lili, used to being the quick dog, was trying to catch the Whippet...not a chance, she was yelping as she ran out of frustration :laugh:

"Oh, I want a German Shepherd but they are too big and shed too much, I should get one of those instead". (Pointing at my Malinois).

LOL I got this one when I was at the airport with one of the mal puppies. "Oh I live in an apartment, so a mini German Shepherd would be PERFECT for me!" (When asked what the pup was I said a Belgian Malinois, after the blank expression, I added 'a bit like a GSD just slightly smaller') :eek::rofl: No amount of explaining would sway this lady :laugh:

Yeah, all fun and games ...until they realise that this 'mini GSD' is more like a tornado with teeth. rofl1.gif