Any News On Ned Please?

This will be the final update on Ned.

I am sad to report that today Ned was put to sleep :(

Last Wednesday he was adopted to VIC to someone from VIC GS Club. The first day he arrived, he showed some aggression towards her dogs. This continued over the next few days and was often unprovoked. I am unsure of all the situations while at this house as the lady was quite upset that it did not work out. Ned was put on transport back to Wagga and the decision was made by our committee, with input from numerous other experienced people.

I do not feel the need to explain our decision but will, given the public nature of Ned's case. We choose this decision based on reports (whether reliable or not) that Ned may have dog aggression, anxiety and fencing jumping. Those issues combined are very serious and we are not comfortable rehoming a dog like this.

While in the kennels Ned did not display any problem issues but as many of us know dogs behave differently in each situation. Between W.A.R. and the GS Club we did not have the ability to assess in foster carer homes. We were discussing the potential last night with GS Club of rehoming him to a one dog only household but I honestly could not put Ned through another failed trial and was unsure what true behavioural problems he has. We felt by either putting him in various foster carers or trials we were delaying the inevitable and it would be more stressful for him to be just moved around.

Ned was bathed, had a good fed and I took him to the vet myself. He is the first dog in over a year I have cried over. The entire situation has been very upsetting for me. I have put alot of time, energy and money into the situation and feel the final decision is the best for Ned. I wish that his original family had made this decision themselves before he has had to be juggled around numerous homes.

I would like to thank everyone for their help, donations or support in this situation. Especially would like to thank Karen and Max at Fernleigh Rd Boarding Kennels who treated Ned like their own whilst there. We were all hopeing for a happy ending for the poor old guy but it was just not possible.

Rest in peace now Ned.

Edited by efowler

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Panzer Attack!

Thank you for giving Ned the dignified farewell he deserved. What a hear wrenching decision to make, I am so sorry it had to fall on your shoulders. RIP Ned, I'm so sorry the last part of your life was such a horrible shambles :( x

O Dear, after all the support that was given, it was to no avail. I am so sorry Emma, sometimes doing your best just doesn't work out.

Thank you for the update and for the big decision regarding Ned. My condolences to you and all the people involved.

RIP Ned.

Edited by Boronia

Guest lavendergirl

RIP NED :cry::cry:

What a bloody tragic outcome after such high hopes - poor Ned's issues probably got worse each time he was unsettled.

Poor dog.

So sorry Emma, you did so much to help him but have now made the best decision for him, rather than putting him through (or anyone else) any more situations where he'd fail. He's at peace now. His old owners have much to answer for in my opinion.

x 2. Thanks for giving it a serious and well informed try, and for taking the responsible decision when it had to be taken.

So sorry Emma, you did so much to help him but have now made the best decision for him, rather than putting him through (or anyone else) any more situations where he'd fail. He's at peace now. His old owners have much to answer for in my opinion.

I couldn't agree more.

RIP Ned :rainbowbridge:

I feel sorry for so many here. First of all I am sorry for the dog. RIP Ned. I am also sorry for all the casualties along the way - Mixeduppup, Kermac, and efowler, and for the people who did the temperament test at the pound, and for the rangers at the pound, and everybody else who has tried to help Ned. I believe all these people have done their best by this dog. Instead of trying to rehome a dog with aggression issues (and I believe they must have been obvious from the beginning) the original owner should have done the right thing by the dog and taken responsibility for the situation.

Guest donatella

You did what the spineless owners should have done when they decided at 11 they didnt want him.

Thanks for all the hard work. Rip Ned, so many tried.

Last Wednesday he was adopted to VIC to someone from VIC GS Club. The first day he arrived, he showed some aggression towards her dogs. This continued over the next few days and was often unprovoked. I am unsure of all the situations while at this house as the lady was quite upset that it did not work out. Ned was put on transport back to Wagga and the decision was made by our committee, with input from numerous other experienced people.

Reading Ned's history I would not think that rehoming to a multidog household was likely to be a success, or at least 'success' with the expectation of integrating Ned.

On DA:

It is not unusual for DA dogs to be inhibited in a Kennel environment. Also I'm not sure what is meant by unprovoked aggression between dogs? If dogs dont like each other or one dog is not comfortable then aggression is exhibited.

In any case, poor Ned and :( for his protracted end.

Reading Ned's history I would not think that rehoming to a multidog household was likely to be a success, or at least 'success' with the expectation of integrating Ned.

On DA:

It is not unusual for DA dogs to be inhibited in a Kennel environment. Also I'm not sure what is meant by unprovoked aggression between dogs? If dogs dont like each other or one dog is not comfortable then aggression is exhibited.

In any case, poor Ned and :( for his protracted end.

DA was never even proposed until after Ned left by that new member. At the kennels n mixeduppup he did not exhibit it at all. By unprovoked I am referring to random DA, not around food and no particular type of dog.

I feel sorry for so many here. First of all I am sorry for the dog. RIP Ned. I am also sorry for all the casualties along the way - Mixeduppup, Kermac, and efowler, and for the people who did the temperament test at the pound, and for the rangers at the pound, and everybody else who has tried to help Ned. I believe all these people have done their best by this dog. Instead of trying to rehome a dog with aggression issues (and I believe they must have been obvious from the beginning) the original owner should have done the right thing by the dog and taken responsibility for the situation.

I have been following Neds progress since the beginning and agree with padraic, everyone has done their very best for him, and now old gentleman you can run free at last. RIP Ned.

I feel sorry for so many here. First of all I am sorry for the dog. RIP Ned. I am also sorry for all the casualties along the way - Mixeduppup, Kermac, and efowler, and for the people who did the temperament test at the pound, and for the rangers at the pound, and everybody else who has tried to help Ned. I believe all these people have done their best by this dog.

MUP particularly.

The thread is quite scathing.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/239729-rip-ned/page__st__15

Instead of trying to rehome a dog with aggression issues (and I believe they must have been obvious from the beginning) the original owner should have done the right thing by the dog and taken responsibility for the situation.

Not necessarily.

I dont know what the answers are, but it seems many assumptions made about Ned and his actuality, and making more now about the original owner will be to no avail also.

As someone else wrote, it was a train wreck. And now it's finished.