Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Without Health Issues.

Blackdogs

My mother would one day like a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, however, I have reservations about this due to the high propensity for health issues within the breed.

Is it possible to find a breeder who breeds Cavaliers without health issues or is the breed just too far gone to even bother?

Edited by Blackdogs

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mother would one day like a Cavalier Kind Charles Spaniel, however, I have reservations about this due to the high propensity for health issues within the breed.

Is it possible to find a breeder who breeds Cavaliers without health issues or is the breed just too far gone to even bother?

I know quite a few CKCS without health issues.

Where did you get the impression the breed might be "too far gone"?

I have a two year old Cavalier..my first..so I've not been with the breed for long but he is perfectly healthy and came from a reputable breeder. All breeds have health issues so dont be put off by any extreme situations that may exist in other countries. There are many good breeders in Australia who health test their stock.. Do your research or go to the Cavalier thread and ask the knowledgable people there.

My mother would one day like a Cavalier Kind Charles Spaniel, however, I have reservations about this due to the high propensity for health issues within the breed.

Which breed are you refering to.

The King Charles Spaniel or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Their are plenty bred of both breeds all over Australia that are health tested and clear although the King Charles is some what less bred than the Cavalier.

Which breed are you refering to.

The King Charles Spaniel or the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Their are plenty bred of both breeds all over Australia that are health tested and clear although the King Charles is some what less bred than the Cavalier.

ETA: Wanted to know the difference, don't worry, I googled. :laugh:

Edited by sausy.dog

Guest Arcane

I am saying this purely from my 25 yrs of experience behind a grooming table after having handled many many dozens of pet CKCS up close & personally and also knowing & talking to their owners.

I would have to say they are the most unhealthy breed I come across.

Heart problems

Eye problems

Skin problems

major conformation issues resulting in mobility problems & pain & discomfort

Ear Problems

Reverse sneeze thingy. I don't think i've ever met one that doesn't start snorting the second they get a bit excited (usually when their owners come to collect them) I have also stood ringside many a time to watch the CKCS's shuffling around the ring snorting!

many I see have bite & dentition issues

Many I see have malformed feet & toes

Many have naso-digital hyperkerotosis (sp?)

Many I see have behavioural issues such as air sucking/gulping, air scratching, unusual & inappropriate vocalisation

Then there is the life span. I rarely meet CKCS over 7yrs, if they make 9 they've done well & anything over 10 seems to be almost miraculous....in a breed that really should expect a healthy 12-15 yrs.

And dare we mention syringomyelia

The clincher for me is the fact that many many CKCS owners I talk to admit they very much love their dog, but admit they will not have another due to the heartache & expense they have endured with the first one.

This is just anecdotal from grooming so so many of this breed. It's rare for me to see one that is the right size with the right coat, with a sound mind & body.

I see other breeds/types with health issues but nothing like what I see in CKCS.

Edited by Arcane

Arcane hard to believe there are that many with problems that you see often! I used to work in a grooming salon so I met and handled quite a few Cavaliers apart from my own and I certainly didn't see all the problems you are seeing. :confused:

Yes the breed does have problems and should be being bred carefully by knowledgeable breeders. Unfortunately they are very popular and the backyarders found out years ago they sell very well. :(

Guest Arcane

yeah it's really sad. I'm not making it up for the sake of it I am simply conveying the stark reality that is my personal experience with this breed. When on the rarest of occasion I meet a nicely bred healthy CKCS it is a joy yo behold, but sadly It's not often. Maybe it's just the situation in SA, i don't know. What I do know is they have suffered untold misery from their popularity spike. When I first started grooming in the mid 80's I hardly saw any, then A certain celebrity gardener told the country everyone needed a Pug or a CKCS.....the resulting spike in popularity & inevitable profiteering seems has done untold damage.

Oh my goodness! My Lucy is only 9 months old but hasn't had any of the above mentioned issues (touch wood)

I think a lot of them are issues that all breeds can have.

Buying from a reputable breeder will ensure that the dog has the healthiest & longest life possible

Guest Arcane

Oh my goodness! My Lucy is only 9 months old but hasn't had any of the above mentioned issues (touch wood)

I think a lot of them are issues that all breeds can have.

Buying from a reputable breeder will ensure that the dog has the healthiest & longest life possible

Absolutely. I'm not trying to say a CKCS can't be healthy & sound. Seeking out the finest of breeders is certainly my recommendation when anyone asks me about this breed. I think much of the woe I see is the result of BYB and profit driven breeders.

that definitely wasn't my experience when grooming them and i have groomed a lot of cavs. I actually didnt see too many with major issues (and those that did generally just needed better attention to grooming by less than attentive owners!)

I have also had the pleasure of knowing some cavs owned by friends - one i helped them purchase from a breeder as a youngster who lived a happy healthy life and passed at 14.

Mine has reverse sneezing and a heart murmur but my pug reversed sneezed too. She isn't even on medication for her heart murmur because it's low grade. She is around 8 years old and jumps around like a puppy still. I very rarely need to take her to the vet.

Having owned Cavaliers for 27 yrs I havent seen or known of even a 1/4 that you have listed Arcane

I have a 12 and a half yr old here her son is 11 next month and heart clear and still extremely active going for runs every day and loving agility

my brothers 9 and a half yr old and 5 yr old both heart clear and go for 20 km runs with him everyday

These are the cavaliers I see regularly around the place

Guest Arcane

I'm seriously wondering if it is regional! I am not underestimating to say I would have dealt with at least 40 owners that have lost CKCS between 5-9 yrs , a few even younger :(

And there I think is the answer to to the unfortunate little dogs that have passed through your hands Arcane... Victims of the popularity spike which has happened to many breeds They are a very appealing breed ... many produced by BYBs for profit with no regard for breed health and improvement and used in cross breeding to produce all those "Oodliers" so often offered for sale. The answer is always buy from ethical breeders who are dedicated to the welfare of the breed"

1342611892[/url]' post='5903000']

And there I think is the answer to to the unfortunate little dogs that have passed through your hands Arcane... Victims of the popularity spike which has happened to many breeds They are a very appealing breed ... many produced by BYBs for profit with no regard for breed health and improvement and used in cross breeding to produce all those "Oodliers" so often offered for sale. The answer is always buy from ethical breeders who are dedicated to the welfare of the breed"

It would be very interesting to know where all those Cavs you groomed came from Arcane...might well answer the question as to why they had so many problems.