Foster Dogs

This is Ollie who is supposed to be an 8 month old Kelpie cross.

At first blush, I'd assumed he was mixed with a German Shepherd but all of the Kelpie/GSD crosses I've seen tend to have much sharper snouts than Ollie does.

My second guess is that he's mixed with something spitzy - husky, malamute or even Swedish Vallhund because of the thickness and texture of his ears and his eye markings. Anyone have any views on what he might be blended with? :) I know we'll never know definitively and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day but I'd be curious to know what people think.

olliepound.jpg

ollie09.jpgollie10.jpg

ollie11.jpg

ollie17.jpg

ollie19.jpg

ollie20.jpgollie21.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

He looks very similar to a known Kelpie/Sib Husky mix I used to train with. I can definitely see the kelpie... could be a mix of many different breeds though.

New family member?

Someone has suggested husky mix, too. I do remember seeing a horrible online ad once for 'Australian Huskies' which were apparently Kelpie x Husky. He's a foster - with us to learn manners and some basic obedience :)

Out of interest - what was the temperament of the dog you trained with like? Was he quite drivey? Ollie's definitely got Kelpie energy levels and he seems quite trainable - he's picked up on some things quite quickly in only a day but he shows a certain stubbornness that isn't quite Kelpie.

Sge started beginner agility when I first started with Cody. She was a reasonably drivey dog from memory but both of us were young and new to dog sports so didn't really know what we were doing or how to capitalise on the drive of our dogs (or even what drive was at the time :laugh:) I just remember she wasn't an overly pleasant dog and had to be muzzled, but this was a club who insisted on muzzles for the most minor of reasons so couldn't tell you if it was warranted or not.

I had what was defined as a kelpie*shepherd from the RSPCA many years ago. She looked just like this one. She also became a great cattle dog - not a blue cattle dog but a dog that actually works cattle.

My sister has a husky GSD cross that looks very much like Ollie - same ears, head shape, snout and even fur and colourings. My sister's has a very bushy tail and pants - I joke she looks like Basil Brush from behind. Her build is bigger than Ollie's and her personality is more husky than GSD. Huskies can be headstrong and have a high prey drive. I'm going with husky/kelpie for Ollie as he does definately have kelpie looks and size more than GSD for me.

What do Elbie & Hoover think of all this fostering caper? :)

They look a bit offended but they're fine :) We've had a friend's akita stay with us recently and they handled that well and they've handled other dog visitors well. Here's their first encounter with Ollie in case you're interested :) Ollie is overweight so can't keep up with my two very well. He's on a diet now.

Edited by koalathebear

He reminds me a lot of my panto as a pup... her hair grew longer as she reached apx 18months, and much more fair since 5 or 6yrs, I got her as a GSD x. She's definitely not lappie (born before the first lappies in Aus had their first litter), but surely is a doppleganger) - most speculation say she is a mix of kelpie/husky/with only the insiest bit of gsd! super super food and ball motivated too, bless.

I can see some gsd-ness in him though, not strong, but to me it looks like it. He sounds divine, love his gorgeous eyes! Good on you and lucky Ollie!

Cuddlehound? :)

ollie24.jpg

Kelpie-ish dogs

ollie26.jpg

ollie27.jpg

Snoozing

ollie29.jpg

He's doing well. Day 3 and he has learned sit, drop and spin. He is also learning to wait for his food, to toilet in Poo Corner and to sit when having his collar put on.

Edited by koalathebear