Foster Dogs

Aw a teddy dog :D Loving the photos!

Has Hoover's nose always been that pink?

No, his started to depigment this winter. We're applying ointment so the pigment is slooooowly coming back :)

Poor little Hooves. Snow nose? I forget how bracing it is over there in Canberra! :D

Ollie has been with us 7 days now - well, really only six because day one was mostly travel :) He is such a smart, eager to please little dog. When we first got him, he didn't care for the crate much, did not wait for his food and was completely untrained. This isn't surprising because he was dumped by his previous owners at the pound (where he stayed for a month or so) and he was very much a wild, undisciplined pup.

Day 7 - and he now sleeps quietly in his crate - goes into it willingly and waits for his food. He now can also sit, drop, spin and shake hands. Check out his waggy tail, smiley face and eager to please eyes?

I would love more than anything to keep him but that sort of defeats the purpose of fostering! It is quite heart-breaking for me because I will want to make 100% sure that the home he goes to loves and cares for him the way he deserves - I would NOT want him ending up at the pound again or with a family that would mistreat him. It's funny, I went into fostering a bit terrified and apprehensive about the horror stories I'd heard on DOL but now I find the thing I find most difficult/traumatic is the thought of adopting him out :p

Edited by koalathebear

I agree with you on the spitz he looks very Sibe X Kelpie - I can't see much, if any at all GSD. I have known that mix before and the kelpie temperament seems to very much dominate over the Sibe traits in the ones I have known. Every dog is different though, and we are only guessing.

ETA - and now I've read the rest of the thread and seen the other pics :laugh: I'm just one of many suggesting Sibe it would seem!

Edited by RuralPug

It doesnt get a any easier........ :rofl:

Yeah .. I guessed that. On the foster carer facebook for our group, someone asked: "Does anyone ever take their foster dog to a meet and greet and secretly hope that the family doesn't like the dog?" :D

I kind of know what they mean. Part of it is a bit of guilt - Ollie came from the pound, has had a pretty bad cough and hasn't been treated very well at all but he's still so happy, trainable and eager to please. He has fit into our home perfectly - loved the toys, our dogs, the food, the atmosphere - I feel a bit guilty moving him elsewhere when he clearly loves it here so much. But I know that dogs are adaptable and if we can place him in the perfect home, then we can help another dog that needs help ...

I agree with you on the spitz he looks very Sibe X Kelpie - I can't see much, if any at all GSD. I have known that mix before and the kelpie temperament seems to very much dominate over the Sibe traits in the ones I have known. Every dog is different though, and we are only guessing.

You're right. The Kelpie is definitely very dominant. His behaviour really isn't very spitzy at all because he's got the shameless, desperate to please, eager Kelpieness about him. Just a few times he seems a bit spitzy when you ask him to do something he doesn't want to do and he kind of walks off in a rather dignified fashion :laugh:

Edited by koalathebear

.....He has fit into our home perfectly - loved the toys, our dogs, the food, the atmosphere - I feel a bit guilty moving him elsewhere when he clearly loves it here so much. But I know that dogs are adaptable and if we can place him in the perfect home, then we can help another dog that needs help ...

Beautifully said and good foster carers like you are worth their weight in gold!! :thumbsup:

wow! awesome video and great work from you, well done! And well done Ollie too! I just wanted to give him a big hug!! Pls pass huggles on from me...

I will! He loves cuddles so much - seriously. My dogs are affectionate but they are aloof by comparison - Ollie's so snuggley and affectionate, it's adorable. He has also learned how to beg today!

wow! awesome video and great work from you, well done! And well done Ollie too! I just wanted to give him a big hug!! Pls pass huggles on from me...

I will! He loves cuddles so much - seriously. My dogs are affectionate but they are aloof by comparison - Ollie's so snuggley and affectionate, it's adorable. He has also learned how to beg today!

watching the video reminded me so much of my panto even more. I knew I'd have no chance but showed mr P the video with a "he needs a home" :provoke: :laugh:

does he have a petrescue profile?

watching the video reminded me so much of my panto even more. I knew I'd have no chance but showed mr P the video with a "he needs a home" :provoke: :laugh:

does he have a petrescue profile?

Not yet! He needs to be desexed first (booked in for next Friday) and needs some more training and then he'll have a petrescue profile - but he does have blog posts here :) http://koalathebear.dreamwidth.org/

Edited by koalathebear

Well, I couldn't defer it any longer. Tonight I prepared Ollie's petrescue profile and also a first draft of his music video. It would kind of suck if my foray into the fostering world ended after my first dog because my first dog was a foster failure :p

Edited by koalathebear

This is Ollie who is supposed to be an 8 month old Kelpie cross.

At first blush, I'd assumed he was mixed with a German Shepherd but all of the Kelpie/GSD crosses I've seen tend to have much sharper snouts than Ollie does.

My second guess is that he's mixed with something spitzy - husky, malamute or even Swedish Vallhund because of the thickness and texture of his ears and his eye markings. Anyone have any views on what he might be blended with? :) I know we'll never know definitively and it doesn't really matter at the end of the day but I'd be curious to know what people think.

Any dog which carries agouti a^w will have these eye markings. It is hardly unique for husky malamute et al

BTW: The dog looks as he is supposed to be - a Kelpie X GSD

in the video you posted.

PS The video and soundtrack just makes you :)

Edited by lilli

Guest donatella

awwwwwwwwwwmaiiiiiiiigawwwwwwwwwwd that was gorgeous!!!

I have teary eyes!!

You sold Ollie to me after that video, well done you, just beautiful!