Foster Dogs

At Casey Dog Park this morning, we met a couple who had found a lost dog in Florey. He is not desexed, not microchipped and had no name tag. He also appears very timid. They've listed him on the TAMS website, RSPCA ACT website and gumtree as 'found' to maximise his chances of being found.

He is totally fine with other dogs and gets along well with Elbie and Hoover. He appears a bit shy of new people although not hand-shy etc and once he has settled, is very affectionate. Absolutely no signs of aggression. Someone has suggested he might be a worker which might explain why he is shy but not frightened.

We are babysitting him until his owner is found/a new owner is found because the lovely people who found him have low fences and a pool.

bc_11.jpg

bc_17.jpg

bc_21.jpg

bc_23.jpg

bc_28.jpg

bc_29.jpg

He's a funny-looking little dog. We're guessing border collie cross but he could be anything really :)

Edited by koalathebear

Rozzie - I thought possibly Koolie, too :) Sometimes I see spaniel in him, too. He's very interesting-looking.

He's a very nice looking boy too, I love his colouring and dots :)

(PS - hi, I lurk this thread and watch your foster dogs videos but til now haven't posted.. :wave:)

Heh heh my husband was joking we should call him Spotify because of the dots on his nose :)

Thanks for posting! I've done some more videos but not for my own fosters so didn't post them here. The videos are here. Hope you enjoy!! :) The videos really seem to work at getting a dog notice but alas, petrescue doesn't allow videos uploaded now so all we can do is a link to youtube.

Edited by koalathebear

Oh wow, thanks! More to watch! I actually forwarded links to a couple of your videos to a friend of mine who is fostering a dog that is getting zero adoption interest, and she loved them too. Hope you don't mind!

Oh wow, thanks! More to watch! I actually forwarded links to a couple of your videos to a friend of mine who is fostering a dog that is getting zero adoption interest, and she loved them too. Hope you don't mind!

Of course I don't mind! All the dogs in the videos in the link I've sent you have found new homes or had applications for them. Kimba had an application within a day of the video going up and Ellie May within the hour :laugh: People want to know/see as much as possible about the dogs so the videos help. It's always easier doing it for my own fosters though because I can make sure we have good photos and video and we also teach all of our fosters some tricks that make the video a bit more entertaining. It's always hard for me to do much when the dog is untrained and all of the video is just the dog sniffing the ground :p

Silly question but don't dogs have to be handed in to shelters/ pounds when found? I also worry you know nothing about this dog or where he came from but you have it in with your own dogs.

Hi Clover, not a silly question. I believe in New South Wales you have to hand the dog in to a pound or a shelter.

In the ACT, if there is no ID, you can hand the dog into the pound or keep the dog at your house for the owner to contact you directly so long as you notify the rangers and post the details on the TAMS website. Information here:

tams.jpg

This dog has no microchip or identification.

Impounded dogs are held for seven days while DAS try to locate the owner and for the owner to come forward and claim the dog. Unclaimed dogs may be sold or euthanised by DAS after this seven day period. Dogs in a home have longer. We have been monitoring the Lost Dogs page and he is also listed on the pound page called Dogs Found by Members of the Public. The dog is also listed as found on riotact (an ACT chat forum), gumtree, RSPCA ACT and here on DOL. We've also sent emails out about him.

Thanks for your concern about my dogs. I wouldn't let him stay here if we had any very young, very old or sick dogs - or any foster dogs.

As we foster dogs, we keep our dogs up to date with their vaccinations and their flea meds. There is, as you say, a risk in exposing him to our dogs but he appears healthy and our dogs met him for the first time at our local dog park and he had been staying for the last day or so with a couple and their two small white fluffies. He had already fallen in their pool once and their fence was low and I agreed with them that this dog would probably not do very well in a pound environment so we're going to see if we can find his owner this way - which we have done before. With Snoop the dog, earlier this year, the pound website enabled us to located him and get him to pick up his dog from us past midnight on the same day.

Edited by koalathebear

Of course I don't mind! All the dogs in the videos in the link I've sent you have found new homes or had applications for them. Kimba had an application within a day of the video going up and Ellie May within the hour :laugh: People want to know/see as much as possible about the dogs so the videos help. It's always easier doing it for my own fosters though because I can make sure we have good photos and video and we also teach all of our fosters some tricks that make the video a bit more entertaining. It's always hard for me to do much when the dog is untrained and all of the video is just the dog sniffing the ground :p

Hey KTB,

I love your videos and agree that they are great for selling the dogs. Just wondering how you get around the copyright aspect of the music you use?

Hey KTB, I love your videos and agree that they are great for selling the dogs. Just wondering how you get around the copyright aspect of the music you use?

Hi Burkes - youtube used to block them outright because they are owned by third party rights holders but now they seem to have a more sophisticated approach of identifying the song and then placing ads on the page i.e. I get a notification that the song belongs to so and so, there is to need to take it down but they will put ads around the video and presumably the revenue goes to the rightsholder. Practically, although the enforcement risk is pretty low, if there were any issues, I'd just take the clip down and use a crappy golden oldie song that no one cared about anymore.

Edited by koalathebear

• 1 month later...

Photo of Baxter (previously Nova) in his new home

121127baxter.jpg

Frida in her new home

fridaupdate05.jpgfridaupdate06.jpg

So big now!

fridaupdate07.jpg

Dodge's owner was never found so he went into rescue. He is still extremely timid although much improved. He's ended up being our first foster failure

121124dodge.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

• 1 month later...

I love getting updates about previous fosters :)

Ollie has passed beginner obedience and is moving up to the next level.

Frida is getting so big - but is such a beautiful and lucky girl.

fridaupdate07-1_zps31f8e677.jpg

fridaupdate08_zps8ff79f42.jpg

fridaupdate09_zps55d38647.jpg

fridaupdate10_zps19c465a8.jpg

And we visited Baxter (formerly Nova) on the weekend to test him out with Dodge. Baxter's mum and dad are going interstate for their wedding and honeymoon so he'll be staying with us for a week while they're away. He gets along fine with Elbie and Hoover but we wanted to make sure he got along well with Dodge, too. They had such a good time.

baxterupdate01_zpsfab4e94d.jpg

baxterupdate02_zpsf826a86f.jpg

Thanks guys :) While I find fostering very rewarding, I find it very emotional/sad to say goodbye to the dogs. I've read your posts before where you've mentioned how it's worth it when you see the dogs in their new homes. At the time I was letting the dogs go, I didn't 'see' that so much, but with the effluxion of time and hearing from the families and seeing the photos, I can see what you meant :) I don't think I'm going to find it gets easier with more dogs - but I do find it a lot easier to let go of the puppies than the older ones ...

I have just read through the whole thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I love happy endings!

It would be great if those who fostered/rescued created a folder like you've done here of all the foster dogs in care and provided updates. Not only would it showcase the amazing jobs you guys do, but maybe it might even help find a home or two?

• 5 months later...

Some foster updates tonight :)

Frida has grown up into a gorgeous dog

27june_06.jpg

And Ollie is so beloved. Here he is waking up his older 'sister' with good morning kisses :)

27june_02.jpg

27june_05.jpg

I am taking a break from working right now so we have two new foster puppies arriving tomorrow :)