Foster Dogs

I'm between jobs so am fostering again. Meet Smudge & Nutmeg (both girls), who arrived yesterday

smudgeampnutmeg01.jpg

smudgeampnutmeg03.jpg

smudgeampnutmeg05.jpg

smudgeampnutmeg07.jpg

smudgeampnutmeg09.jpg

smudgeampnutmeg14.jpg

We think they're about 8 weeks old. They're very smart and trainable so far. Learning to sit before food, really catching on quickly about toileting when taken outside and not soiling their puppy pen. They're currently in quarantine for two weeks so won't get to meet Elbie, Hoover and Dodge till then but they have seen each other across the way ... :)

Edited by koalathebear

Frida is stunning! *Steals Frida And Ollie still looks like a loveable teddybear :love:

I am so lucky that the owners of our fosters still keep in touch with us. I wanted to keep Ollie at the time, but the home he has gone to is much better than anything we could have offered.

The new two are very cute too! Which one is which? And what do your guys think?

Smudge is the black Elbie clone with the up ears :) Nutmeg is the one that looks more border collie. They were terrified when we first met them but are now very friendly and LOVE cuddles. Nutmeg's been attacked by a bigger dog so one of her ears is a bit chewed up and she has puncture marks on her head but she is healing.

As they are straight from the pound (something I swore I'd never do :p), they're segregated from our dogs and in a different part of the house on a bleachable vinyl floor and in a separate section of the yard, which we can also bleach. To be safe, they shouldn't meet our dogs until 14 days is up but as you can see, Hoover and Dodge would LOVE to meet them sooner :p

This is them staring wistfully from another room at the puppy pen they can see in the distance

wanttoplay01.jpg

wanttoplay02.jpg

Nawwwww! They're like you bring us new friends and were not allowed to play with them?!?! That's not fair! :p

What are the two little girls? Kelpie/ BC? Or maybe a little cattle dog?

walgett6.jpg

I volunteered for them because I thought that they were Kelpies but when I saw them, they look more like border collie/cattle dog with a pinch of Kelpie. Still cute though!

Both puppies have parvo unfortunately. Fortunately, we caught it very early (because I was expecting it) and they are on IV right now. Details here. They have also been segregated from our dogs, although of course a full quarantine was not possible. Please keep the doggies in your thoughts.

I'm very sorry to hear the fosters have parvo. I know that you have them at the vet and they are getting treatment which will be expensive.

I have donated a little to AWDRI towards the vet care of these puppies. I really hope they are strong enough to get through this as they look like such lovely girls and have such a fantastic foster home waiting for them when they are better.

Thanks all. We are very upset but still hopeful that we got them treatment early enough. I slept near where they were to keep an eye on them overnight and was going out with a torch when toileting them at 2am to make sure that they didn't have blood in their stool. They were poorly when they got here but their stools firmed up in the short time they were with us and and they had excellent appetites and were very lively and attentive - showing no signs of illness at all. I had them vet checked upon arrival in Canberra. I had warned the vet then that they were high risk pups so made sure that we waited outside and didn't touch anything etc. They were totally fine then - good temperature, no alarming signs. We were going to wait for the weekend to pass before vaccinating to make sure they were stable.

Last night, very suddenly, Smudge threw up four times and then lost interest in food and became listless so we took her to the vet immediately. The vet said that they were both in relatively good condition for dogs with parvo because he usually sees them when the disease is more advanced but the prognosis still isn't great unfortunately.

Here they are at the vet's last night. Even then they were still making lots of eye contact, showing interest in the world around them:

donate.jpg

They are two little dogs who have so much potential - very smart and trainable. Learning to sit for food in a day and even learning to toilet outside only and not soil their pen i.e. they knew they were only to toilet when taken outside. I could tell that they would be excellent candidates for tricks/obedience etc because of how attentive and human-focused they are. Just hoping that they can pull through - and without permanent damage.

Thanks again for all the kind words. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by koalathebear

You've got it pretty early, so providing they have the correct support while they fight it off, they should recover.

There is a new strain going around that doesn't necessarily show the same symptoms as the regular strains (no blood in stools or vomit until it's way too late) - and unfortunately country areas are somewhat rife with it at the moment.

I lost an entire litter to it a few weeks back - and as my quarantine isn't as good as yours, I'm not able to foster for at least 12 months... grrr!

Fingers crossed that your babies pull through...

T.

May I add that the current vaccines seem to have good coverage for the new strain of parvo we are starting to see. If your other dogs are vaccinated, then there is very little chance of them getting it.

T.

Where can I find out more about the new strain you mention?

May I add that the current vaccines seem to have good coverage for the new strain of parvo we are starting to see. If your other dogs are vaccinated, then there is very little chance of them getting it.

T.

Where can I find out more about the new strain you mention?

All I can ever find about 'new strains' is that yes, parvovirus is an evolving/mutating virus with strains that pop up but vaccines still seem to cover all current strains in australia. So it's not so much a case of vaccination being ineffective, more of being able to recognise the early symptoms presented and seek help immediately.

one small example without the science-speak.

Parvovirus is a virus that causes parvovirus enteritis in dogs and has been around since the 1970s. There are several strains of parvovirus however the most concerning are CPV-2a, CPV-2b and CPV-2c. CPV-2a is the most common strain in Australia. Although reported in Asia, American and Europe, CPV-2c has not been reported in Australia. Veterinarians in Australia are reporting an increase in the number of cases of parvovirus this year however there has NOT been reported to be an obvious increase in the number of parvoviral infections in properly vaccinated dogs. murdoch uni

Maybe someone has more info.