Foster Dogs

iggy mum - good on you for fostering such a sweet dog and giving her a second chance. It's so sad what these dogs go through before they come to us :(

I haven't fostered a blind dog before so I hope you can continue to get more great tips from experienced people like kirty and little gifts. Good luck with Buffy!

Edited by koalathebear

Buffy is doing really well. She has learnt what 'down' means and what 'up' means in relation to getting up and down the stairs. She is still having a little difficulty getting up because of her cone, but she is getting what I mean when I tap either the step above or below her and say the appropriate word. She's also learning what 'go potty' or 'do wizzy' means and she is beginning to toilet when [or soon after] asked. She is getting a lot faster, too, when moving around the yard so I think her confidence is growing day by day.

She does follow me around most of the time and her bumping into my legs gets a bit frustrating by the end of the day but her cone should be gone in a week so things should get easier for both of us then. She still doesn't like being crated at night and kicks up a fuss but I feel it is still necessary at this stage. Early this morning was the first time I heard her bark, attention seeking from her crate no doubt, but ignoring her when whingeing, howling or barking from the crate will hopefully make her lose interest in this bad behaviour.

So, all in all, things are going better than I expected. She is a really fast learner so I hope that she will find her perfect forever home when she is fully healed as she is such a sweet little girl.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Buffy is doing really well, better than I expected or hoped for. She had all her stitches out last Friday so the cone of shame has now been removed and she is like a new little dog. She is finding her way around so well. I can try to hide from her, either inside or outside, and she always finds me. Obviously her other senses are taking over and doing a great job. Yesterday morning she even wanted to have a little play, which was a first for her. The vet has estimated her age at around 8yo. She is fully toilet trained and can hang on all night whilst in her crate. She didn't like the crate much to begin with but last night she was quiet as a mouse, so I guess she is getting used to it now or it may be easier for her without the cone. She has learnt to go up and down my back stairs by herself really well. I just stand in front of the steps and tap the step and say 'down' and she knows to step down, she is such a smart little dog. She will sit on command, loves cuddles without being a pest, and is so little trouble I can't believe it. She will be getting a bath and grooming session in the next few days which will remove the last of the dried blood currently on her face. Here is a pic of her today! :heart:

Buffy-Day163daysafterstitchesout_zps6e11dbb3.jpg">

That's great news about Buffy! :) She looks so comfortable - I'm sure she knows she's safe now.

As for me, I received a lovely update from Juniper's new family.

Here she is with her sister Jazz

140109_01.jpg

She's been enrolled into obedience and will be doing class on Sundays like Dodge so we are likely to see her. I'm so happy for her. She's also our last AWDRI dog as after 1.5 years, I've resigned from there and am now volunteering for a different group. Can't wait to see who my next foster will be! :)

That's great news about Buffy! :) She looks so comfortable - I'm sure she knows she's safe now.

As for me, I received a lovely update from Juniper's new family.

Here she is with her sister Jazz

140109_01.jpg

She's been enrolled into obedience and will be doing class on Sundays like Dodge so we are likely to see her. I'm so happy for her. She's also our last AWDRI dog as after 1.5 years, I've resigned from there and am now volunteering for a different group. Can't wait to see who my next foster will be! :)

What a great photo, they look so contented lol! Good luck with your new rescue group, it's exciting to imagine what the next doggie will be that needs care.

They do - I am so happy with where all my fosters have ended up. The families all still keep in touch and they all have such wonderful, wonderful lives. I miss them when they first go but it's definitely worth it when I see how well they're all doing :)

• 4 weeks later...

We will be picking up these two lovely Kelpie girls tomorrow from Young Pound.

Fotor021095335.jpg

The little 3 month old puppy on the right is going to a carer in Griffith so we will meet up in Wagga for a puppy handover. The poor skinny girl on the left is going to be fostered by us but she's being temp-cared by a fellow carer till her vaccinations kick in. I had her vaccinated while she was still at the pound so that her time in temp care will be shortened.

We're actually on a break from fostering but this is our little break from our break. The poor girl was so thin I couldn't bear it. I can't wait to meet our new foster although tomorrow will be a day of LOTS of driving. 2 hours from Canberra to Young, 2 hours from Young to Wagga, then back to Canberra via Gundagai where we're dropping off some donations. We will be soooo tired - but happy :)

Edited by koalathebear

I have one dog who will not be crated either... she actually bends and stretches the bars with her teeth until she's made a hole big enough to get out of... in essence completely destroying the crate... errr!

T.

:eek: Gawd! :) Twiggy travelled well in the crate when we were transporting her so I'm hoping that she was just bored and pissed off because she was in quarantine all by herself in the laundry. When at our place, when she's crated there will be people and dogs around so she shouldn't be too lonely ... Fingers crossed anyway :D

Twiggy slept well in her soft crate last night. She did not like the wire crate in the kitchen but seems ok about the soft crate and also the wire crate in other rooms of the house. More detailed update is here but here are some photos :) She's 14kg now and doing nicely - much improved from her initial skinniness.

twiggy15.jpg

twiggy16.jpg

twiggy17.jpg

twiggy18.jpg

twiggy19.jpg

twiggy20.jpg

twiggy21.jpg

Edited by koalathebear