Foster Dogs

Go Miller!

Lupin is very cute! LOVE that mask! Can you tell us a bit more about him?

Smudge is doing well. I am pet/Housesitting for a friend i do agility with for three weeks at the moment. So Reggie and Smudge have come too! They both get on with my friend's spethal little white fluffer Roxy. Roxy is a bit of a bossy boots and is a bit strange. :laugh: she and Smudge sometimes have barking competitions..... Sigh.

My friend also has native hopping mice. Reggie and Smudge both think the miceys are pretty awesome.

Lupin is 9 weeks old, Rottie mix (I think Rotti x GSD x Labrador)

Hes SUPER people focused, adores people. Great with dogs, great with cats. Smart, already in training (hes got sit, down, stand, leave it and recall in progress already :D )

Hes gonna be a big dog, hes already 8+ kilos at 9 weeks :o

Sadly he has had 0 interest yet :( hopefully after my big push this weekend, we'll find someone next week!!

That's odd because he's adorable. Still, it's all about finding the right home and you only need one perfect application for that! I got zero apps for Smudge, then three unsuitable ones - then the perfect one :D There was also a dog recently who had seriously languished for months and months without a single nibble but now he's gone to a home where they love him soooooooooooooooooo much it's hilarious :D

Edited by koalathebear

More photos of Miller. Heaps more here, but some of my favourites below.

Calm car traveller

1sept13_01.jpg

Miller meeting DOLer clastic's doggy Pepper and DOLer wuffles' doggy Ava

1sept13_02.jpg

Miller and Felix the Schnauzer

1sept13_09.jpg

Miller at Belco Pets getting a new collar and toy for his puppy pack. He also hung out with Belco Pets store dog Benji

1sept13_22.jpg

Miller sharing a crate at bed time

3sept13_13.jpg

Chilling out on the day bed

3sept13_14.jpg

3sept13_01.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Miller sharing a crate at bed time

3sept13_13.jpg

Off topic sorry hope this is ok - but can anyone tell me anything about the crates in KoalatheBear's photo? Our obedience instructor has told us quite sternly that the dogs should not be allowed in bed with us :D ... I think something like these would be a good thing to transition to at the foot of the bed? Do you guys think they are good?

PS love the photos mixeduppup - they look quite curious about the strange woolly dog haha

Edited by Lasareina

Off topic sorry hope this is ok - but can anyone tell me anything about the crates in KoalatheBear's photo? Our obedience instructor has told us quite sternly that the dogs should not be allowed in bed with us :D ... I think something like these would be a good thing to transition to at the foot of the bed? Do you guys think they are good?

Hi lasareina - why does your obedience instructor have anything to do with where the dogs sleep? :D As long as they only sleep there when permitted to by you, it should be fine!

We let our dogs on the bed but they are total hogs so we usually boot them off partway through the night. About the soft crates, they're great. I've got a blurb all about crates here as well as links to where I bought the crates.

sweet I'll check out your links. Apparently it is to do with the pecking order of the pack and whether they will give you the respect as the dominant members if they are allowed to sleep in your space. They recommend they sleep in your room so they are part of the "pack" and the communal pack smell but not on the bed :shrug:

Not really sure I'm convinced on that reasoning but they are getting preettty big and heavy and their ability to hog all the blankets all seems to be growing exponentially as well so seems like a good excuse to get tougher haha.

They USED to sleep very nicely on their own beanbag, but then bf let them into bed one night while I was petsitting and that was it. Now he blames me :rofl:

Edited by Lasareina

Interesting. We don't let our foster dogs sleep on the bed just in case their new families don't want them on the bed - we don't want them to develop bad habits. We usually let them on the bed for their last night with us though because we will miss them :laugh: Smudge we let sleep on the bed her whole last WEEK with us, but I double checked with CBD (her new owner) that that was ok first :rofl:

Our dogs get to sleep on the bed for part of the night on weekends and and whenever we feel like it. Having three dogs on the bed can be tough and Hoover is the biggest bed hog on the planet :)

so reading your website you would not recommend the soft ones if they haven't been crate trained beforehand? Are the collapsible ones you mention just the wire cage looking ones?

Yes. I don't recommend using soft crates for rescues because a lot of them are quite anxious when they come into care but if your dogs are calm and well-behaved, there's no reason you can't crate train them using a soft crate. Just start earlier in the day and don't try to zip them in until you are sure they won't freak out. For instance, our foster dog Miller has never been in a crate before but he's such a lovely, chilled and calm dude that we've had him in a soft crate first time with no problems.

I only say don't use a soft crate with a first time nervous dog because they can break out and sometimes with a new foster, you need to contain them during the day/mealtimes etc for their own safety. If your own dogs aren't likely to need to be crated during the day, you can leave the soft crate open during the day as you train and probably even at night as they get used to it. For a calm dog it's pretty easy - you just stick their bed or mat in the crate and they'll often just go in there of their own accord and lie down :)

ETA: Here's an example of what can happen if you try to put a dog who hasn't been crate trained into a soft crate

wreckedcrate.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Yep. My some of my guys sleep on the bed. Not all of them, it would be WAY too squishy with 5 dogs and 4 cats! :p My usual bed companions

are Reggie, Smudge and Callie the cat.

I don't think dogs sleeping on the bed is wrong or bad, but if i was having any dominance or control issues bed priviledges would be the first to go. My dogs wait to be invited on the bed and if i say get off the bed, my dogs get off. Unfortunately the cat is not as obedient! :p

Yep. My some of my guys sleep on the bed. Not all of them, it would be WAY too squishy with 5 dogs and 4 cats! :p

You just made me think of "Grandma's Feather Bed" by John Denver :D

It was nine feet high and six feet wide, soft as a downy chick

It was made from the feathers of forty 'leven geese, took a whole bolt of cloth for the tick

It'd hold eight kids 'n' four hound dogs and a piggy we stole from the shed

Didn't get much sleep but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's feather bed

:rofl:

I don't think dogs sleeping on the bed is wrong or bad, but if i was having any dominance or control issues bed priviledges would be the first to go. My dogs wait to be invited on the bed and if i say get off the bed, my dogs get off.

Same, being on the bed is an privilege - abuse it and it's back to the Crate :p

Lol! i remember having to line dance to that song. all i learnt was that im a HORRIBLE line dancer......

On the note of soft crates, they can be chewed or/and ripped. Once a dog knows how to get out then will keep doing it. It's much easier to start with a metal crate. Once they have learnt the 'sanctity' of the crate, most dogs will not even try to get out if they are put in a soft crate.

Edited by Chequeredblackdog