Foster Dogs

Awww thanks guys. We're so happy with all the dogs we've fostered and the gorgeous people who have adopted them and continue to keep us updated.

We had our new foster dog arrive on Thursday from West Wyalong pound. Meet RADAR True. She's 3 years old and at 21kg is very chunky for a Kelpie girl so we have put her on a diet. She's the dog on the left. The dog on the right, also from West Wyalong is Jerry, who is going to be fostered by the family who adopted our former foster Juniper

true04.jpg

true08.jpg

true09.jpg

True has proved very hard to photograph so far - doesn't like the camera and has absolutely no training so doesn't sit or stay still for the camera. She's a lovely dog though. More details about her here. While completely untrained, she is very calm and friendly. No bad behaviours or aggression and has taken well to the crate, puts herself in a dog bed/crate/on a mat and sleeps quietly through the night. She will make a really lovely pet when she's trained up.

One sad thing is that the West Wyalong vet told us that when they vaccinated her for me, they took out what they are almost sure were desexing stitches - but because she has no desexing tattoo in her ear, we can't be sure that she's desexed. We can't adopt her out undesexed so we will have to check. I asked if there was any non-intrusive way to check if she has a uterus e.g. ultrasound etc? I phoned 3 vet clinics and it pretty much seems to be the case that we will have to have the poor girl cut open to check ... :( I feel terrible for her.

You have to wonder what circumstances led to that poor girl even needing rescue. She looks beautiful, has a beautiful nature and someone seems to have spent money on her. What went so terribly wrong? It's like her owner died or couldn't find her. I love her name!

Edited by Little Gifts

Another gorgeous kelpie girl KTB. I saw her on the resue pages. She's looks like a sweetie♡

Little gifts, yes it really makes you wonder with girls like this doesn't it??? She looks like she has plenty of condition alright but no training. Lovely nature. Someone's pet? What happens

I just don't understand it. Unless I died I wouldn't be parting with True.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks guys. Will definitely see if there are other options for her without cutting her open. I feel like she's been through so much. A month at the pound already and now the potential of unnecessary surgery. She is very shiny and lovely ... just completely untrained. I've had a few fosters like this where we can't believe how the dog ended up being dumped at the pound because they were so lovely ... Just goes to show that one person's trash is another person's treasure because the dogs we foster have been thrown away to die like garbage and yet when they go to their new homes they are so precious and so beloved, it's so beautiful to see.

Lovely True.

true23.jpg

true24.jpg

true25.jpg

True's doing so well. She went for a visit to Belco Pets this morning.

true02.jpg

We are very relieved - it turns out that True is already desexed. West Wyalong found stitches that they thought were desexing stitches but weren't sure and they couldn't find a tattoo. Fortunately Brudine looked harder and found a desexing tattoo lower down in her ear that was hard to see because the skin is dark! Sooooo relieved they didn't have to cut her open given that the vet said that the wound would have had to have been EXTRA large in order to get a good look around. So the lucky girl only had to be microchipped. She even got tested around cats today and was fine.

She needs some training and exposure to more situations, female dogs, people including small children ... and she'll be ready to adopt. She already has THREE adoption applications in a waiting list for consideration even though we won't be adopting her out for another month.

It is very strange though ... Why would anyone desex her, look after her (she's in good condition) and then not look for her at the pound? She's a lovely dog - no issues that we can tell so far except that she's a bit of a princess about toileting in the rain ...

true41.jpg

true50.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

Hardly makes any sense at all does it? She has certainly been looked after by all accounts. Why wouldn't they come look for her??? Just doesn't add up at all...

So pleased she is going well KTB, Lovely looking girl :)

My initial thoughts were an accidental death or serious injury of her owner and no-one else to care for the dog or the dog ended up in a pound far, far away from where it lived so the owners simply couldn't find it. Otherwise it is just too weird for me to get my head around. I love how focussed she is on you guys in the shop already. She looks like a smart girl underneath all that lack of training.

• 1 month later...

True's going on trial adoption tomorrow to a wonderful home. Here she is with her hobo bag - donated by a generous donor! Normally we buy it all but this time we had donated funds we used to buy the puppy bag

true81.jpg

She's enjoying lying on Hoover's Birthday Bed :)

true83.jpg

While in care, we worked at breaking her of her habit of counter-surfing.

true68.jpg

She attended the RADAR stand at A Pooch Affair in Canberra

true74.jpg

She tried hanging around sheep, although wasn't very good at it :)

true76.jpg

true77.jpg

We will miss the beautiful, beautiful girl.

In much less happy news, I regret to say that I am one of the many people who shared my unhappy experiences with a different rescue group on the Outcasts page. As a result, I've had my facebook reported a number of times and disabled (it's still down). A number of other people who are standing up to bullying are also experiencing similar issues with constant harassment via facebook reporting and notifications. All of my posts/photographs on rescue dogs on facebook are now gone and I'm not sure when they'll be back. My account is actually already verified but facebook seems to still temporarily disable it when a harasser takes it upon himself to report it as a fake account.

Let's just say that it's a very eye-opening and extremely ugly side of rescue ... Fingers crossed that my FB comes back up so that I can at least get all my photos back! :)

Edited by koalathebear

True's doing awesome on her trial adoption and getting along great with the three resident cats. I don't think there's any risk of her failing her trial :)

trueupdate02.jpg

Also got an update on Rookie. Yesterday, Rookie and his owner successfully completed our Beginners assessment at CDC. CDC policy at this level is just pass/repeat level, with a certificate for those who pass, however his Instructor likes to encourage and reward by also presenting ribbons to the top 3 in the class and guess who got the blue ribbon? Here is Rookie proudly showing off his certificate and ribbon.

rookie.jpg

Way to go True ♡ So pleased you have found a lovely forever home. Enjoy every minute :)

KTB so sorry to read you have become a target of such nastiness. And all your lovely photo's may be gone :( . Well I certainly hope that it

is all resolved ASAP & you can get them back. Gosh there are some very nasty people in this world. No wonder I prefer dogs to most people.

Give me a dog any day.... good luck with it :)

Edited by BC Crazy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks BC Crazy. Regrettably I'm not the only person who has suffered/continued to suffer. Some of the stories are here:

On a more positive note though, True's trial adoption was confirmed. They love her

trueupdate05.jpg

trueupdate11.jpg

Yesterday we went to pick up the crate we had loaned them and she had a brand new comfy crate

trueupdate08.jpg

Collar

trueupdate09.jpg

So happy for the girl.

We have a new foster. His name is Jerry. We hadn't actually intended to take on another foster at this point. Jerry came from the pound at the same time as True so had been in care for about 7 weeks. Unfortunately, despite being a really lovely dog, he has some separation issues and is really terrible in the car so when his carers heard that True had gone on trial adoption, they asked if we'd be willing to take on Jerry as they couldn't handle him.

jerry52.jpg

jerry53.jpg

jerry56.jpg

jerry43.jpg

His training progress table is here. I'm very happy with his progress.