Can I Ask For Some Prayers For My Furbaby?

esky

Hi all,

Don't often post about my furbabies illnesses but am feeling rather lost & alone at the moment.

Can I ask for some prayers for my little peke girl Penny please? I had to race her to our emergency vet in the early hours of this morning as her breathing was rapid & she was looking very distressed. She is on oxygen & awaiting x-rays but they believe it is sudden acute heart failure :(

She was a little "off" on Friday afternoon so I took her to my vet who said she had some fluid sounds on one side of her chest. He gave her a frusemide injection & said to watch her over the weekend. She ate very well last night but still had slightly odd breathing to me??? She wouldn't settle through the night & I couldn't "wait & see" any longer cause I just knew something wasn't right.

It has only been 4 months since I lost another of my babies suddenly - she too began breathing badly & made it through the night at the vets but died as they took her out of the cage to check her stats that morning. I never got to say goodbye or hold her as she passed & I am still beating myself up. My vet said she wasn't critical & to decide whether she should stay there overnight or transfer her to emergency overnight care. We agreed it would be clamer & quieter for her there as she was blind & we believed she would stress more in an emergency environment & I know I made the wrong choice. I think she waited till someone arrived that next morning & it wasn't me :(

I also have two dear little oldies battling on here with dynamic airway disease & trachea collapse as well as another oldie with heart failure (we are keeping him as stable as possible with meds)so I have been bracing myself everyday for them to deteriorate). I never expected Penny who has had perfect health to suddenly be in trouble.

I keep asking myself why I put myself into this heartbreaking position taking in the oldies but I know that they have given me more happiness than anything & the hurt is part & parcel. It is just so hard though.

Edited by esky

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry, it must be such a stressful time.

Please don't blame yourself for any decisions with your girl who passed, we can only do what is best and our fur babies know that.

Every day of love you give the oldies is a day they otherwise wouldn't of had.

Esky prayers for you all. I know what you mean about the oldies - it can be so rewarding and so tough at the same time. But I do agree with you - the happiness the oldies bring me is worth the honour but distress of having to see them through their final days. Take care and thinking of you.

Thank you everyone for your support............have been alone here all day (husband 3 hours away on night shift & no family close) so can't stop thinking all sorts of thoughts :(

Have tried not to bother the emergency vets too much but haven't heard anything for a few hours.

I think one of the worst things is I have had experience with heart failure before unfortunately so know what she will be going through even if she makes it home. Because I have had so many little sweethearts go through so many different illnesses over the years, a lot of naieve optimism for their prognosis has disappeared & a lot more fear set in.

Thought I would share a picture of my babies.....photo was taken when they were waiting on some chicken for their dinner. I hand feed them their chicken so they all get equal share. Penny is top left of the photo with my three other ill oldies next along to the right. We call it the "sacred circle" :)

7466008724_ba1622174f1.jpg