Tooth Cleaning Products/chews

I've tried a few of the chewing things including pigs ears, rawhide sticks, dentasticks, dentabones, greenies, nylabone (various flavours).

So far i have found the greenies as the best so far (esp with then dog with allergies). The dental sticks and dentabones have listed ingredients as animal derivatives which could be anything.

what do you find works?

NOthing like good ol' fashion bones.

I will sometimes give them a pigs ear at a show to munch on, but never those rawhide or nylabones, have seen dogs with these lodge in their gut. But above all else, mine get brisket bone at least twice a week and my Mini Foxy is happily muncing away at a Mutton flap as I write, they are all far cheaper and do not have artificial anything.

Lamb necks - it is the only type of bone that Harvey will not let the cat steal off him LOL!

He does also get other bones, shanks, off cuts etc (when the cat is shut insided) and greenies now and then too.

Guest Lobo's Cheeky Chops

Bones gets Lobo's stamp of approval :cry:

... and boy does he have a gorgeous staffy smile :mad

Chicken wings, necks and lamb bones (butcher's offcuts) are his favourites

For an 8 kg~ 9 kg dog.

Chicken necks, wings etc. Lamb flaps are a bit too fatty as he doesn't need to put on any weight. Not that he doesn't like them.

Large slices of beef shank with plenty of meat and a large size bone & marrow in the middle that he can't swallow whole are a favourite but occasional meal as are lamb shanks.

All human grade and I keep an eye on him just in case he decides to do something stupid.

Canidae kibble plus raw otherwise.

Princess gets the puppy teethers for medium sized dogs and we also give her pigs ears.

she's still only a puppy at 17 weeks, would you advise us giving her shanks yet or is she still a bit young.

often wondered if these pal puppy things were good for her and if there was any additives in them.

Lamb bones, brisket bones, chicken wings and necks and plenty of chew toys, including a Dental Kong.

Brodie destroyed one chew toy in less than 24 hours, so I hope that doesn't keep up. :cry:

I am another who gives bones - chicken frames and chicken wings. Excellent for cleaning, plus Abel loves them!

As for the others mentioned...

+ Not sure about pig ears being a cleaning aid - they seem more like hard treats to me? I give Abel one occasionally.

+ Nylabones are quite good, although I had some difficulty convincing Abel to chew on his. I eventually gave up, although I might try again with a larger bone.

+ Greenies are too expensive!

+ I have read conflicting literature on rawhide. Some advocate using only rawhide strips, as large chunks [i.e. rolled rawhide, rawhide bones] can cause blockages. Others discourage all forms of rawhide, on the same grounds. I give Abel rawhide strips about three times a week [at most, often less] and have had no problems.

+ Dental sticks are okay, in my opinion. They had an average effect on my older dog.

I don't understand how the "Greenies" people can justify the price of those chews!!! They are just unbelievable!!!! A labbie sized one is about $4... times that by how ever many dogs you might own!!!

I would prefer to buy a big $2 marrow bone cut into four - that keeps them happy for a long long time - lots of chewing and teeth cleaning... AND the benefit of marrow - which is excellent for their immune system.

• 2 weeks later...
I would prefer to buy a big $2 marrow bone cut into four - that keeps them happy for a long long time - lots of chewing and teeth cleaning... AND the benefit of marrow - which is excellent for their immune system.

Exactly what we do :o

We get one not cut though however lol cause Max is a good chewer..he gets through one whole no probs..Knuckles and all lol

thats all I pay for them as well $2.00

Sugar even though small chomps on them for ages

Max does all the hard work for her :laugh:

My little guy gets the occasional small pile of chicken necks (on bright shiny days that he can go outside - we live in an apartment so no bones inside!), has a nylabone (somewhere......) and has an Enzadent rawhide chew just about every day - he lurrrrrves them :laugh:

He does like Greenies, but even with a generous staff discount I can't keep him well supplied, lol. A box of chews lasts him about a fortnight and is only $11. I tried the Schmacko's and Nature's gift ones and he turned his nose up at them which is VERY unusual.....so he gets the ones he likes :o

I've never heard of dental dinosaurs before... are they similar to nylabones in material or made of animal product?

My two get plenty of bones, whatever is on special at the supermarket... sometimes it's lamb flaps/necks.. other times it's beef necks (their favourite)

Occasional pigs ear... and greenies when i can justify the expense!

Both the cats love the greenies sprinkles (for tiny dogs) on their food, keeps their breath a bit fresher.