A New Breed In Aust - Black Mouth Cur

Inevitablue

I was multitasking last night (phone, scratching the cat and net surfing when I found them) hence my brief post.

Stood out to me after reading the recent thread on pig dogs and, if these dogs can work cattle and do no more than bite like a cattle dog, but also bail up pigs, then to me, these seem like a safer pigging dog. If they don't maul the cattle then I cant envisage them mauling pigs just for kicks.

Crossbred or not, I kind of like the idea behind the dog. I could imagine they would serve as ideal allrounders on large cattle stations. I'm all for 'crossbreeds' if they are bred with purpose, data kept and some dollars thrown into it. Importing two dogs wouldn't have been cheap.

I can see these dogs being bred for purpose and there also being a need for them.

The americas have a lot of Curs they're part of their history. They're not AKC recognised by they do have standards and their own registration. From the looks of it there is predictability in the breeding but they are a working dog. I think it's a great idea to get some of the purebred workers in from other countries that are generations ahead of us in breeding

Are these ones that have special splayed feet for treeing coons etc. in the Florida/Louisiana swamps? Not sure if these are the came curs, there are a heap of varieties.

I was told (took with a grain of salt) that coonhounds and bloodhounds sank/got bogged so these were popular and were developed partly from the old Indian Leopard dogs (which themselves were a mixture of Axtec dogs with merle cattledogs brought in by early French colonists). They could guard and open cattle and track deer as well as hunt small game.

No idea how much of that was true. It will be interesting to see how well they go in Australian conditions.

They look like a very nice style of dog to me...wish people would realize that a well trained hunting dog does not touch domestic and native stock and in the process of hunting feral pigs will bail and "hold" till it's dispatched.

The americas have a lot of Curs they're part of their history. They're not AKC recognised by they do have standards and their own registration. From the looks of it there is predictability in the breeding but they are a working dog. I think it's a great idea to get some of the purebred workers in from other countries that are generations ahead of us in breeding

Looks like another good candidate to get scooped up in the restricted breed system.

Your thinking of Catahoulas Rural pug.

The Catahoulas share a fair bit of ancestry with most of the Curs so I can see why you'd think that. :)

It was definitely one of the regional varieties of Black Mouth Curs that I recall being lectured to about, but I can't remember if it was a Ladner or a Florida or a different type. Can't tell much from the feet in these pics, although the toes do look long and strong.

Edited for typos.:o

Edited by RuralPug