Puppy With Fleas!

Guest _MADCAT_

Guest _MADCAT_

Hey everyone...

We recently picked up our 8 week old Red Bullmastiff bitch (which we paid a decent price for!) and noticed she had fleas... not just one or two, but quite a few!!!

I'm really confused how she comes from a good breeder (off of DOL and has some great dogs) but she comes to us infested with fleas?

I searched on DOL for solutions to wash a puppy with fleas and we tried that, but shes still got heaps no matter what we do!

We had problems a few weeks before Dora came to us with the cats but we washed all the pets, flea bombed the house etc.. We are yet to treat the back yard as we are pretty unsure whats the best method...

Shes always itching just above her tail and I always run over to her and there is ALWAYS a flea or two there, I kill as many as I can find.

We clean the house quite regulary as I don't do too well with dust sometimes and get weird allergic reactions so I make sure the fleas cant breed and get to adult stage..

Tonight we are going to the shops to find something suitable for puppies, can anyone recommend a GOOD flea treament for puppies? - shes just over 8 weeks old now..

I'm a little disapointed she came to us covered in fleas as I know how dangerous it can be for puppies to have fleas, it can be fatal!

Would it be in the breeders interest to be informed how many fleas the puppy had when she came to us? COULD they have come from the plane trip over here? from QLD to Adelaide?

I just don't want the breeder to cut contact with me like my boys breeder did...

we are ripping our hair out as we are trying so hard not to get the other pets re-infected which it's already too late since the puppy is always with us and the cats etc.

Can anyone help us out? whats the best treatment for a young pup?

She has her vet checkup in 1 1/2 weeks but theres no way we want to wait that long with the little bub!

Thanks in advance,

Josie, Josh & the gang - Dora, Zeus, Frank and the cats Cloud & Meowington.

img6685z.jpg

img6746s.jpg

img6739a.jpg

Exactly, if you are not doing monthly preventative treatment on all your pets they could have them.

You need to kill them first,( Capstar) then do the spot on every month.

Yep, capstar is awesome, then find a spot on/monthly tablet for her.

Did you notice the fleas at the airport or only after you get her home? If it was at home she probably picked them up as soon as you brought her into the house. Fleas just love young puppies. If the fleas were on her at the airport she could have picked them up from another dog on the flight or if she was sent through a transport company she could have got them there, so I would let the breeder know but not accuse them.

Guest _MADCAT_

Did you notice the fleas at the airport or only after you get her home? If it was at home she probably picked them up as soon as you brought her into the house. Fleas just love young puppies. If the fleas were on her at the airport she could have picked them up from another dog on the flight or if she was sent through a transport company she could have got them there, so I would let the breeder know but not accuse them.

I wouldn't dream of accusing the breeder, she's a wonderful lady. I mainly wanted to make sure her dogs are ok if she didn't realise how many the pup had.

We noticed the fleas at the airport, while sitting in the car saying hello for the first time we saw she was covered in fleas...

I'll give the capstar a go for sure! Will also grab some more advantage...

Does anyone know what we could use to treat the backyard?

I use Frontline as it kills fleas and ticks. Worth every cent in my opinion.

Its efficacy on ticks is questionable. I'd not stake my dog's life on it.

Fleas aren't necessarily a poor hygiene or husbandry problem. However if a pup arrived with a heavy infestation I would tell the breeder.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I use comfortis and it is the ONLY thing I have used that 100% keeps fleas off my dogs. When I had baby pups I used the front line spray every few days and it was very effective. I could be wrong but arnt some types of flea treatments only reccomended to pups over 3months?