Which Breed?

thowra

Hi all

I am starting to look for a dog that will primarily be for my youngest son, aged 12, who is mildly autistic, ADHD and ODD. He does have behaviour issues but his pyschologist and I believe they have gotten worse since we had to put our cocker spaniel down in March. They are also not animal related, he has never ever harmed an animal.

I am after a small to medium breed dog, short hair/smooth coat, will live mostly inside with us, will be walked probably a couple of times a day. I am a stay at home mum so there will be someone home most of the time with it. Oh and we want a female dog.

Are there any breeds in particular that would be best suited do you think? The only one that I am against for my own reasons are staffies. I am sure there are many nice ones out there but I have my reasons about not wanting one.

Kathy

Edited by thowra

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe look for an adolescent/ young adult dog that's been in foster are so you know the temperament and suitability for your son? least that way you can be sure of the dogs temperament, activity levels, tolerance for children etc.

Edited by indigirl

We have 2 kelpie x with our Autistic son

if i was doing it all again, i would get an adult dog, either from a reliable rescue or from a breeder

and i wouldnt go too small, it needs to be big enough that it doesnt feel threatened by any sudden or eratic movments, and that it can get away if needed

good luck, i'm sure you will find the right dog for your family

our first dog was a staffy, he was ideal with our boy

Edited by k9's-mum

Hi all

I am starting to look for a dog that will primarily be for my youngest son, aged 12, who is mildly autistic, ADHD and ODD. He does have behaviour issues but his pyschologist and I believe they have gotten worse since we had to put our cocker spaniel down in March. They are also not animal related, he has never ever harmed an animal.

I am after a small to medium breed dog, short hair/smooth coat, will live mostly inside with us, will be walked probably a couple of times a day. I am a stay at home mum so there will be someone home most of the time with it. Oh and we want a female dog.

Are there any breeds in particular that would be best suited do you think? The only one that I am against for my own reasons are staffies. I am sure there are many nice ones out there but I have my reasons about not wanting one.

Kathy

Whippet. They can be very good therapy dog. Just find a decent breeder who will guide you towards the right pup.

What activities did he do with the Cocker that he enjoyed ??

What activities are you ideally wanting from the dog ,do you want a calmer soothing dog or something more suited to rough & tumble play but also easy to switch off.

How big would be your limit be??

As for sex any reason for female only??

We have placed pups with families with the same issue but found what they wanted & what pup best suit often is different things.if your just limiting it to females you could be missing out on the best pup/dog for your child becase the dog will also need to be special aswell

Schipperke.

Small, short coat - minimum grooming - they have a special affinity with children. Black is the most common colour. Worth researching further. Active and fun, very smart.

When I was reading your post i instantly thought Staffordshire Bull Terrier - smaller than Am Staffs etc, and awesome nanny dogs. Also they have the build that if they are knocked accidentally it doesn't usually even register (we had a SBT that would run flat out into a table/wall/anything when playing, shake it off and get on with it!)

However you have to be comfortable with the dog, so a SBT wouldn't work for you.

What sort of play would be involved?

I would suggest an older dog that has been throughly tested (with a professional rescue/behaviourist), as they will be calmer. Do you have a centre nearby where you could go for a chat, meet some dogs and see how you feel?

Ideally you want a dog who has been assessed as suitable for your needs by an experienced dog handler. Breed is a good general indication of temperament, but individuals can vary.

Calling up a reputable rescue and telling them your needs and asking them to match a suitable dog to you would probably yield good results. They will let you have the dog for a trial period so you can be absolutely sure it's the right dog for you and your son.

If you mentioned what area you are in perhaps someone could give specific advice on where to look or who to contact? A local dog training group might also be able to offer some practical help in finding a good match.

My son has been asking for a puppy over the past few weeks, and is thinking he might like a Foxie/Jack Russell type dog. His best mate (who is also autistic) has a foxie and I think that may be why he wants that type of dog.

Are there any real negatives to these breeds?

Some terriers can be a bit snappy. But this can be managed with good training and supervision.

JRT I know, sometimes kill small animals like mice and rats and sometimes tackle ones they shouldn't - like snakes. Again - a bit of supervision...

It can be hard on the kids if the snake "wins" though.

Maybe take your son to visit some whippets to see if he likes them or not. Otherwise JRT - I don't see why not.

My son has been asking for a puppy over the past few weeks, and is thinking he might like a Foxie/Jack Russell type dog. His best mate (who is also autistic) has a foxie and I think that may be why he wants that type of dog.

They can be very high energy IMO and perhaps a breed that is calm in general would be a better option.

I'll give another vote to the Whippet.

A real potential to be a barker.