Horse The Dog

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am guessing because he has to serve his time to give his owners a chance to collect him.

He was a stray, a found/dumped dog with no id or obvious owner.

Edited by Clyde

dogmad said - "He looks very similar to another dog I've come across that is also extremely dog aggressive."

Say what?!?!

Whether or not Horse actually has aggression issues, this is a ridiculous statement - based not in knowledge but in prejudice. He probably reminds a whole bunch of people of a whole bunch of various dogs they've all known before but that doesn't mean that his temperament can be predicted based on any of those previous associations with OTHER DOGS.

Horse's merits or otherwise are HIS, and he doesn't earn a 'pass' or 'fail' based on any other dog's past performance. Be fair.

dogmad said - "He looks very similar to another dog I've come across that is also extremely dog aggressive."

Say what?!?!

Whether or not Horse actually has aggression issues, this is a ridiculous statement - based not in knowledge but in prejudice. He probably reminds a whole bunch of people of a whole bunch of various dogs they've all known before but that doesn't mean that his temperament can be predicted based on any of those previous associations with OTHER DOGS.

Horse's merits or otherwise are HIS, and he doesn't earn a 'pass' or 'fail' based on any other dog's past performance. Be fair.

Oh the joy of it when people miss your point. Just ignore the other assessments that have already deemed him dog aggressive and keep going until you find someone that agrees he isn't. 70 kilos is easy to handle, he won't be able to pull a sensible person over I'm sure.

Edited by dogmad

Oh the joy of it when people miss your point. Just ignore the other assessments that have already deemed him dog aggressive and keep going until you find someone that agrees he isn't. 70 kilos is easy to handle, he won't be able to pull a sensible person over I'm sure.

That's funny. I didn't say I had any particular opinion on Horse's temperament or the assessments that have been done. I said "Whether or not he is actually aggressive", which means whether he is or whether he isn't. I also didn't make any comment about him being able to pull someone over; so it seems to me that you've managed to miss the point quite adeptly yourself. My point is this: Horse's temperament has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he looks like some other dog that is aggressive, so be fair and don't bring SOME OTHER IRRELEVANT DOG into the picture.

If he was a "toy" dog would this discussion even be happening?

Is he a big dog - yes

Is he a strong dog - i would imagine so

but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the same access to "treatment"

by a trained and professional behaviourist if a rescue is willing to give him

a chance as we would give a chihuahua, malt, Italian greyhound, cattle dog or Amstaff

He may have issues and he may not come good, but he may just surprise everyone and

end up a bloody awesome family pet.

I would just like to think that if someone does give him a chance that they are equipped

with the right people to work with him.

Sorry Bartok, I don't buy the whole all dog have teeth thing. This is a giant dog and obviously the element of danger is more of a concern than a dog of two kilos. I'm not giving an opinion either way on Horse as his feedback isn't consistent enough but given his size I can certainly see why there is more cause for concern/discussion.

Can we please not let this turn feral like most other threads? This is the reason so many people and rescuers avoid these forums.

We're trying to find possible options for a dog that, having been assessed by our own Behaviourist, has so far shown no negative behaviours. His handlers at the pound have recommended he not go to a home with small dogs but also have not seen other concerning behaviours from him.

We are not talking about an aggressive dog here. Based on the facts.

Yes, the information from Dane Rescue that has been supplied has led us to believe that a Behaviourist who found him tied to their fence took him to Rossmore Vets and then Renbury and, somehow, managed to properly assess him during that period. Based on the information given, that is all we know of that.

Another Behaviourist that went out earlier today for a different rescue group, who originally had a tag on him, has said he is very workable in experienced hands. And one of the main reasons relayed why he could not go to the rescue is because the person did not feel comfortable controlling a dog of his size.

Our own Behaviourist said the same. This dog needs to go to someone who can be confident with him. Preferably a man, just because of the sheer size of him.

Speculation does not help.

Sorry Bartok, I don't buy the whole all dog have teeth thing. This is a giant dog and obviously the element of danger is more of a concern than a dog of two kilos. I'm not giving an opinion either way on Horse as his feedback isn't consistent enough but given his size I can certainly see why there is more cause for concern/discussion.

Exactly.

I love the big strong dogs, I grew up with GSD's. However with the larger dogs you can't risk getting it wrong, if you do it can have horrific consequences.

It also isn't fair for a dog to live a lifetime of being confined to a small area due to aggression.

However, it seems Horse is in the right hands, being assessed and he won't be released without a number of tests. I can understand why the second behaviourist would like to speak to the first - they need to know what was presenting and try to work out why it isn't now.

There should always be precaution taken with any dog. But a huge dog like Horse... absolutely a lot more.

This is why we've called for experienced people.

I hope people can just stick to the main post and, if in a position and have given it consideration, please let us know if we can help in any way.

Plan B, would it be more feasible to give Horse the shot of living with the behaviorist for that two weeks and then go from there? I understand there would still be that risk of not being able to find care after this period, but someone suitable might be able to take him on while they have a better indication of his temp. It would be a risk as he still might not find care and have to go back to the pound, but it might give him that little more of a chance? It's not the best idea but it buys him two more weeks.

Clyde, we could only do that if we knew there was a Group or experienced individual waiting on the other side of it. We just couldn't take him out and then be left with nowhere to place him. :(

just found this topic, Horse is not mentioned in the main Renbury thread which makes me think he may be in the too hard basket?

He would also be a financial burden for the group with behaviourists, and foster carer with a (perhaps) long time before a suitable forever home could be found. $100 seems little in this context but I would like to offer it.

EDIT -

Horse is no longer on the Renbury Farm website but if he was rescued please contact for donation.

Edited by Dog Rescue Facebook

• 5 weeks later...

Just saw this update from AWL on facebook about Horse and thought I'd update those following this thread:

Facebook link

Blurb:

Horse is ready for adoption! He requires a family that understands large breeds as he is a very big boy, a lovable galute!

He has been assessed as good with other dogs, though smaller dogs may be inadvertently stepped on. He would suit a family with children provided they understand he is still a little clumsy with his strength. He would also suit an individual.

There are more photos of him on the Dogwoods Country Kennels page, where he is staying, that show his size.

I'm so glad he was given the chance he deserved, and I think his story shows it is important to find out first hand about a dog rather than condemn a dog solely on second hand information.