Horse The Dog

Plan B, can you tell me more or point me to a link about the black dog in the front of that photo? I'd swear you must have dognapped my Stevie!

Well done Horse, I hope you find good strong owners to give your big heart to.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan B, can you tell me more or point me to a link about the black dog in the front of that photo? I'd swear you must have dognapped my Stevie!

Well done Horse, I hope you find good strong owners to give your big heart to.

That photo is at Dogwoods Country Kennels where Horse is staying. :)

What a beautiful photo :) I love it when my dogs play with sticks together, it always makes me laugh.

Best budget toys ever. :laugh:

Edited by Plan B

It's wonderful that the dog was given another chance.

And just as an FYI - the dog was not condemed on 2nd hand information.

There was 1st hand information from the owner that the dog in question was attacking dogs it lived with, it had been dumped with them and they then decided to dump it themselves.

The Rescue's that decided not to take the dog did not do so because they did not feel the dog was not homable but more because the resources were not available to them at that time to rehab the dog if it were dog aggressive.

I stated publicaly what I knew about the dog 1st hand and stated that I did not feel the dog should not go to a regular carer especially given his size not that it should never be rehomed.

It's important that factual information is shared and that the rescue community is not condemmed because they said no. People say No everyday to dogs that display less problems that what this dog was doing.....maybe not as cute as this dog though.

I think the condemnation of those who said No is pretty piss poor and another reason that I just typically keep to myself and don't involve myself with other rescues but I bet those who condemmed me would have condemmed me even more if I had kept my mouth shut and didn't share what I knew about the dog and it went onto attack another dog.

People had every opportunity to assess the dog themselves, take their own Behaviourist with them or use what information was out there which at the time contricted each other.

Perhaps this dogs previous environment was not suited to it, perhaps it was a victim of attacks and not an instigator.....perhaps, perhaps, perhaps either way it's great that the dog got an opportunity with a professional to assess it in a calm environment and I wish it only the best.

There was 1st hand information from the owner that the dog in question was attacking dogs it lived with, it had been dumped with them and they then decided to dump it themselves.

The Rescue's that decided not to take the dog did not do so because they did not feel the dog was not homable but more because the resources were not available to them at that time to rehab the dog if it were dog aggressive.

I stated publicaly what I knew about the dog 1st hand and stated that I did not feel the dog should not go to a regular carer especially given his size not that it should never be rehomed.

It's important that factual information is shared and that the rescue community is not condemmed because they said no. People say No everyday to dogs that display less problems that what this dog was doing.....maybe not as cute as this dog though.

I think the condemnation of those who said No is pretty piss poor and another reason that I just typically keep to myself and don't involve myself with other rescues but I bet those who condemmed me would have condemmed me even more if I had kept my mouth shut and didn't share what I knew about the dog and it went onto attack another dog.

People had every opportunity to assess the dog themselves, take their own Behaviourist with them or use what information was out there which at the time contricted each other.

Perhaps this dogs previous environment was not suited to it, perhaps it was a victim of attacks and not an instigator.....perhaps, perhaps, perhaps either way it's great that the dog got an opportunity with a professional to assess it in a calm environment and I wish it only the best.

I find it odd that you've assumed I was condemning you with my 'second hand information' comment. I actually wasn't aiming it towards you at all, because you were going by what your own behaviourist had said, and you weren't condemning other rescues for attempting to help, simply stating that you yourself would not take him on (nothing wrong with that). But the fact that you seem to be quite defensive about it now makes me wonder if you are regretting some of your comments in this thread.

My comment was aimed purely at the people in this thread who had nothing to do with Horse who were suggesting that the dog should not be given a further chance. People who were making assumptions on the dog because they once knew a dog that looked like him that attacked another dog. People who have said they 'can't be positive' about the dog or a rescue taking him on.

It's one thing to say that you don't have the resources to take the dog on (and a commendable thing!) but it's something else altogether to judge or argue against rescues who are seeking the resources to assess the dog further and allow him the chance to shine.

I find it odd that you've assumed I was condemning you with my 'second hand information' comment. I actually wasn't aiming it towards you at all, because you were going by what your own behaviourist had said, and you weren't condemning other rescues for attempting to help, simply stating that you yourself would not take him on (nothing wrong with that). But the fact that you seem to be quite defensive about it now makes me wonder if you are regretting some of your comments in this thread.

My comment was aimed purely at the people in this thread who had nothing to do with Horse who were suggesting that the dog should not be given a further chance. People who were making assumptions on the dog because they once knew a dog that looked like him that attacked another dog. People who have said they 'can't be positive' about the dog or a rescue taking him on.

It's one thing to say that you don't have the resources to take the dog on (and a commendable thing!) but it's something else altogether to judge or argue against rescues who are seeking the resources to assess the dog further and allow him the chance to shine.

If you had recieved the amount of PM's and e-mails I got about this dog harrassing us about not taking it then you'd feel a bit pissy too.

I did take offense at your '2nd hand information' commention because it was not factual.

I don't regret it at all, I absolutely would not take a dog into general population foster care with the dogs history, I would however send it to our boot camp - where we send all our behavioural cases if space permits - space did not permit in this dogs case,

I did at no time judge any other rescue for trying to help the dog. I stated what is very logical and not emotional that given the dogs history it wouldn't be responsible to put it into general foster care which I stand by.

You can get as argumentative as you want but I run an ethical, accountable and repsonsible rescue service.

I have learned my lesson not to post about logical things in these threads - thank you for reminding me.

If you had recieved the amount of PM's and e-mails I got about this dog harrassing us about not taking it then you'd feel a bit pissy too.

I did take offense at your '2nd hand information' commention because it was not factual.

I don't regret it at all, I absolutely would not take a dog into general population foster care with the dogs history, I would however send it to our boot camp - where we send all our behavioural cases if space permits - space did not permit in this dogs case,

I did at no time judge any other rescue for trying to help the dog. I stated what is very logical and not emotional that given the dogs history it wouldn't be responsible to put it into general foster care which I stand by.

You can get as argumentative as you want but I run an ethical, accountable and repsonsible rescue service.

I have learned my lesson not to post about logical things in these threads - thank you for reminding me.

I have just clarified that I was not in any way aiming my post at you. Why are you still defending your actions? You have nothing to defend! Unless you think you do?

I'm sorry but:

I'm not touching him or reccomending any of my Dane folk take him, I have a responsibility to the general public and don't believe dog aggressive dogs should be rehomed.

And yet, you didn't pass that assessment from your Professional Behaviourist onto Renbury, for the entire week Horse was available to be adopted directly from the shelter by the general public?

While I'm not surprised at some, I was shocked at the complete lack of support and general help from those I thought Horse could rely on. Some washed their hands of him, based on an assessment that was never fully divulged by yourself, based on comments like "he looks like an aggressive dog I know," or someone even having the audacity to diagnose him as brain dead, based on nothing more than guesswork, and from someone who has no veterinary history.

The comments and downright dangerous assumptions made about this boy could have cost him his life.

And you're pissy?

But regardless, what's done is done, and a dog got to have his chance. It looks to be a happy ending, somehow.