Staffy Peeing On Curtains

pazza

Hi all, our 15 month male staffy has started peeing on the curtains :eek: This has just started in the last three weeks, he is housed trained and we haven't had an issue until recently. We haven't caught him in the act as yet,I clean the spill and then advised to spray a mix of water and white vinegar 50/50 mix to discourage him to return. But he still does, any advice thanks. :D

Edited by pazza

lots of desexed dogs suddenly start marking

im no expert but have observed this either with multi-dog households where all are desexed or with visiting dogs

usually happens as the dogs mature...even though they can have been perfectly house-trained

id suggest that great vigilance be employed from now on

contain the dog

do not let him roam around the house

we have moved house and i was worried that my own tribe would start marking because there was a puppy raised in this home ( evidence in the carpet we tore up lol) and dogs can detect urine traces from way back apparently so no amount of laymans scrubbing could eradicate that, i thought

we tiled the whole house...(we dont have any rugs except small ones that can be machine washed, if necessary) and promptly drilled anchor points into the skirting boards so the dogs could be clipped on with their leads

the house is open plan so the whole living area is one big area...the dogs can be planted around the house on their beds but do no wander at will because we have no doors except to the bedrooms

the dogs are supervised all of the time

theyre either crated

out in the yard

on our laps

or

tethered on their beds

and we usher them past the new curtains that frame the sliding doors

i guess we are just trying to establish a new routine...theyre all older now and have ahd to adjust to a new house and new rules

you may have to think about how you can monitor their moves so they dont get the chance to cock their legs

certainly get those curtains laundered and ...if youre going to wash them yourself use Biozet cos it breaks down the three molecules that make up urine

if dry cleaning...ask the people if its going truly eradicate the odour that is only sensed by dogs

good luck with it

Edited by percyk

Thanks for that. I will certainly monitor his moves through out the house and probably isolated him from certain areas.

Our other two dogs are desexed females and have no issues with this sort of behaviour.

One of my desexed dogs marked the curtains in my daughters room after we had an entire dog visit and pee in there. He stopped for about 8 months but started up again a few weeks ago. Ggrrrr.

I have an 8 mth old entire Brittany who has just started peeing on everything out the back, luckily he hasnt done anything in the house.Yet!

Its revolting, I havent had an entire male for so long I had forgotten about this :eek:

I have splashed arofectant (animal safe disinfectant) everywhere out there and then hosed and swept it out, and after it dryed I have sprayed Natures Miracle on the spots where I can still smell urine.

I hope that this settles down a bit as he matures, surely he wont continue to mark anything not moving???? :confused: