Review Of Australian Quarrantine Importation

zeebie

Dasha - how do the dogs work then in the grooming area (interested as only been there the once, and couldn't obviously go anywhere else but the one bank of cages where the cats I was visiting was) - how many dogs can be in there at the same time, and what is the setup like?

Only know that on one of our visits, we found one of the cats had a huge clump of no 2 on his backside, which had impacted in and started to chafe, and had been there at least a couple of days by the damage it had done, as well as the amount that was there so they had obviously not checked him too much for at least that time. Since we could not get into any grooming areas, he had to be butt bathed in a sink and left to dry naturally. Would have killed then for a sink and liberty dryer!!!

What you said about transmissable stuff then makes sense, and makes me feel better about things being not done (still took no chances myself since things like ringworm are not something a longhaired cat owner wants to bring into their home!!!)

Sheridan, as far as importing from Russia, they cannot come straight into Australia, I do not think their health testing is so stringent, they have to go to eg. the USA and stay there for six months, go through all the health testing there before leaving.

I know this as two friends of mine in the USA took to look after two dogs for Australia, one of these puppies spent quite a bit of time in a veterinary clinic as it was very sick when it arrived, hence my thinking do they do any health testing at all in Russia. :mad

no.

It is about the perceived level of Rabies control and relations between AQIS and other government bodies.

Edited by lilli

1343717776[/url]' post='5915743']
1343683735[/url]' post='5915078']

Sheridan, as far as importing from Russia, they cannot come straight into Australia, I do not think their health testing is so stringent, they have to go to eg. the USA and stay there for six months, go through all the health testing there before leaving.

I know this as two friends of mine in the USA took to look after two dogs for Australia, one of these puppies spent quite a bit of time in a veterinary clinic as it was very sick when it arrived, hence my thinking do they do any health testing at all in Russia. :mad

no.

It is about the perceived level of Rabies control and relations between AQIS and other government bodies.

Well, whatever it is, there is still a question about what happens if you want to import a Russian dog.

1343717776[/url]' post='5915743']
1343683735[/url]' post='5915078']

no.

Well, whatever it is, there is still a question about what happens if you want to import a Russian dog.

Same as always. Same as what happens and happens if you want to import a Turkish dog or Kazakh dog or Belorus dog.

It's a PITA

and you send the dog to another country first.

And it wont be eligible for travel to Australia until it is at least 10-12 months old, usually older.

And if you are not fluent in the native language

get an interpreter.

That's my advice :)

And expect no help. And goodness if you are returning to Australia from the above and a woman traveling on your own, expect to be stopped in Australia.

haha the suspect foreign countries will welcome you but your homeland will treat you like a criminal stranger.

Oh and they wont know the dog breed and they wont believe you.

Edited by lilli

Linda, at Eastern Creek it is one dog in the grooming room or out for exercise at a time from each row. This means there is no chance of them coming into contact with any other dog. The next dog due out into the yard is not allowed out until the previous one is locked back inside its kennel. If there is any doubt regarding the health status of the dogs, they are not allowed out of the kennel. And they are not allowed until after 1 week of being there to allow time for their vet paperwork is audited and multiple tick searches are done. Once they are clear, exercise appts can be made. If the pre export checks are in any way incorrect or wrong tick treatment/worming done, they are not allowed out until further testing is done.

Some incorrect tests or results can mean the dog is re-exported or euthanised (at owners request)

Cats the same.\. Only 1 allowed out in grooming room at a time. Even if there is more Quarantine staff around. No animals (except from the same family) are allowed to come in contact with any other animal.

As for the cat with mats, it is pretty bad. A lot of cats hide in their igloos A LOT so they may not have seen it if the cat hides all the time. Ideally they get a weekly groom but I am not sure of staffing levels at other stations and how much extra time the can afford each individual cat.

Thanks Dasha, interesting to hear how the different set-ups work

at Melbourne, the cats were not allowed out at all, they had to stay in their pens at all times (the only exception we got was for the boy with the poo smeared on his bum that they had missed, and that was only because the AQIS employee was not certain at being able to wash the rear end, so my friend went with him and they butt-bathed him in the sink - took all of 4 minutes to get rid of it - if we had had to dry comb it only with powder it would have taken way longer, so happy we were granted that exemption.

We did see though 1 poor cat who came in already with such horrendous matts on him (longhair) (he was in the enclosure next to our cats), who I felt so sorry for, the AQIS guy told us they could not get near him to even attempt to groom him, let alone get those out, they were so bad they were going to be needed to be cut out as his whole side was involved (certainly don't blame them at all for that, as for sure they are not paid to remove things like that)

Please send in a well written logical submission so the powers to be will consider all options, if no one comments then they can pass through whatever they want without any opposition, and then it will be in place an unable to be undone. :(

Africa is still the longest. The reason is that Rabies has such a long possible incubation (180 days) and so thats why they need to wait so long. Total Quarantine time from current countries is also dependent on the level of Rabies Control in that country. As Africa has active Rabies with very little prevention, it means the animals must be isolated from other animals for that long to ensure they don't get it.

Eastern Creek allow dogs to exercise after 1 week to allow for vet check, vet paperwork audits etc

For the UK, russia falls im lime with most other coumtries amd dogs cam travel here 3 weeks after a radies vaccimatiom. However, certaim coumtries, like the Ukraime still have the to de titre tested amd wait for 3 momths - at least it is still much quicker them how it used to de for us!

Amyway, poimt deimg, Russia is fime for health testimg amd passports/travel papers for dogs.