Should I Be Concerned?

Gus is always the one belly up and has NEVER defended himself in a situation where he could have(i.e another dog getting a little agro and putting him in place), he will crouch down, roll on his belly,, or slump down and walk away has never challenged another dog. Yesterday at the dog park a cav x poodle came along and Gus and this dog were playing fine, all of a sudden there was a tiff and Gus was really getting into him, ears back, strong stance growling and snarling and HE WENT TO BITE HIM!!! I had no idea how to handle that I pulled him back from the collar and waited for him to calm down, but he was pretty worked up, breathing very heavily, almost choking, I put him back on lead and waited till this dog left the park before I let him back off and he was absolutely fine with every other dog that was there.

But is this something I should be very concerned about? or how do I deal with this to make sure it doesnt happen again....it took me completely left of field.

I've never had to worry about my dog retaliating, his always just whoosed out and come back to me (luckily this happened around my feet)

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would've guessed something like this. IMO he is moving out of the puppy submit to anything stage and moving on to being an adult dog. Adults don't necessarily react the same way puppies do! Time to stop him randomly meeting dogs when you don't know how he or they will react and go back to more controlled meetings until you have an idea of his adult character.

Without being there it's hard to be positive, but I would suggest Gus acted appropriately towards a dog who overstepped the mark. It probably did look like Gus was going to bite the SWF, and obviously you don't want to know for sure - but it's highly likely he wouldn't have done any harm and would have just shown the other dog who was the boss and then they may well have gone on to play happily again.

Pretty common, dogs playing enthusiastically, one hurts the other or does something unacceptable, one reprimands the other and they make up almost instantly

Would've guessed something like this. IMO he is moving out of the puppy submit to anything stage and moving on to being an adult dog. Adults don't necessarily react the same way puppies do! Time to stop him randomly meeting dogs when you don't know how he or they will react and go back to more controlled meetings until you have an idea of his adult character.

Without being there it's hard to be positive, but I would suggest Gus acted appropriately towards a dog who overstepped the mark. It probably did look like Gus was going to bite the SWF, and obviously you don't want to know for sure - but it's highly likely he wouldn't have done any harm and would have just shown the other dog who was the boss and then they may well have gone on to play happily again.

Pretty common, dogs playing enthusiastically, one hurts the other or does something unacceptable, one reprimands the other and they make up almost instantly

I guess im used to older dogs doing this to him not the other way around!! but thanks back to onlead for a while.

Cocoa reacted to a dog going her today for the first time, she is 18 months old so I'm not surprised or concerned.

She was meeting the dog on leash and she was being very calm and appropriate. The dog went her, and she barked back and kind of air snapped.

I don't blame her, the other dog was really out of line and she didn't carry on and was happy to then lie down a meter from her at the cafe for an hour.

She also met another two dogs very appropriately after that.

Once they start hitting the 12-18mo mark they tend to stand up for themselves a little more. Without seeing the other dog's behaviour it's hard to say if gus was being appropriate. What did the other dog do immediately preceding him reacting?

Cocoa reacted to a dog going her today for the first time, she is 18 months old so I'm not surprised or concerned.

She was meeting the dog on leash and she was being very calm and appropriate. The dog went her, and she barked back and kind of air snapped.

I don't blame her, the other dog was really out of line and she didn't carry on and was happy to then lie down a meter from her at the cafe for an hour.

She also met another two dogs very appropriately after that.

Once they start hitting the 12-18mo mark they tend to stand up for themselves a little more. Without seeing the other dog's behaviour it's hard to say if gus was being appropriate. What did the other dog do immediately preceding him reacting?

well, this other dog was snapping at him and Gus stood his ground instead of submitting, he was stamping his paws and making himself look very tall, it was once the oodle lunged forward and the owners tried to get between them that Gus let of a snarl and went foward but I pulled him back, I've never heard him growl at another dog before.

I took my eye off them for a second but I think the oodle did snap his ankle and it set him off...... but then the staffy he went to play with was play biting his neck and he didnt do anything but lick her face and play back, the oodle was 9 months.... I'm not sure if he has played with younger dogs before they have always been older I think.

I'm going to have to keep him on a long lead for a while until he figures out his place again.

Sounds like something that I might have to watch out for in the next few months with Tin Tin. I take her to the local dog park every weekend and last weekend she had a bad day. I don't know what it is about her, maybe her excitement level and being a large breed puppy (8 month old Bullmastiff), but she is constantly getting picked on by other dogs. I think it's the way that she tries to play with dogs. She likes to try to plant kisses all over other dogs faces and a lot of the time they do not like it and react with aggression, she also tends to be very bouncy and full of energy (she is a puppy after all) She is very submissive when dogs try to correct her behaviour or are aggressive towards her (rolls on her back and shows her belly). This weekend, three different dogs attacked her (yes I say attacked because one actually pierced her ear). I had to take her home after that and I am reluctant to go back because this is not the sort of socialization that I want to expose her to. These dogs were all fine with other dogs in the dog park for the most part, so I can't say that these were DA dogs. Her play is very bouncy, tail wagging and kissing, and very in-your-face.

I am worried about the affect this will have on her as she gets older. I am scared that when she matures, she might do what Gus did and stand her ground or fight back because that's how she was treated by other dogs when she was a pup. She is already 35KGs and is a pretty solid girl so if she gets into a fight, she would do a lot of damage before I could get her off.

I will be reading this thread to see what sort of responses you get :)

Guest _MADCAT_

Sounds like something that I might have to watch out for in the next few months with Tin Tin. I take her to the local dog park every weekend and last weekend she had a bad day. I don't know what it is about her, maybe her excitement level and being a large breed puppy (8 month old Bullmastiff), but she is constantly getting picked on by other dogs. I think it's the way that she tries to play with dogs. She likes to try to plant kisses all over other dogs faces and a lot of the time they do not like it and react with aggression, she also tends to be very bouncy and full of energy (she is a puppy after all) She is very submissive when dogs try to correct her behaviour or are aggressive towards her (rolls on her back and shows her belly). This weekend, three different dogs attacked her (yes I say attacked because one actually pierced her ear). I had to take her home after that and I am reluctant to go back because this is not the sort of socialization that I want to expose her to. These dogs were all fine with other dogs in the dog park for the most part, so I can't say that these were DA dogs. Her play is very bouncy, tail wagging and kissing, and very in-your-face.

I am worried about the affect this will have on her as she gets older. I am scared that when she matures, she might do what Gus did and stand her ground or fight back because that's how she was treated by other dogs when she was a pup. She is already 35KGs and is a pretty solid girl so if she gets into a fight, she would do a lot of damage before I could get her off.

I will be reading this thread to see what sort of responses you get :)

My 17 month old boy Bullmastiff had the same problem. When he was 8-9+ months old I used to take him to the park a lot and he got attacked a few times, once so bad I actually kicked their dog off from thrashing his neck the owner wouldn't put her hands near her dog she was only a little lady with one aggressive Labrador.....(the same dog attacked a 60kg rotty) now he won't let male dogs or Labradors go near him, he growls and barks to keep away from him, he doesn't attack unless they jump for him...

I've tried so hard to train this out of him but its just the awkward age where he is more sensitive to other dogs and takes things the wrong way...

I went to the bullmastiff club meet and he did try go one bullmastiff but it was all noise. After he met some others he really settled down. They said he will grow out of it if I keep my training up and he will settle down

I avoid dog parks altogether now... too many entire male dogs that have zero training or socializing skills.

Keep walking your dog and letting her meet others! I'd just suggest avoiding parks when they are busy..

Edited by _MADCAT_

Totally agree with Sandra, he's maturing and temperaments, or more what dogs will put up with, can change.

He gave warnings to the oodle, it was out of line, not Gus.

I wouldn't be too upset/worried but don't let him off lead with any dog as was said. :)

Edited by Aussie3

Think of it like different types of people.

Some people if some stranger started abusing them in the street would just ignore, or would try to appease them etc.

Other people would tell them to go away, or defend themselves.

Same in dogs!

From what you've said it doesn't sound like his behaviour was out of line. If the other dog was barking and snapping at him he has a right to defend himself, Cocoa did the same thing today.

What :eek: dog aggression is out of line unless you want to train the dog to fight the dog needs a damn good correction and put back in it's place.........the only one who does the fighting is the handler and the dog needs to learn that. Too many dog owners try and place discrimintory reasoning when a dog is allowed to react and when they are not, ideally unless you want a full on fight to death to occur down the track, any bristle up's need to be corrected and stopped.

From what you've said it doesn't sound like his behaviour was out of line. If the other dog was barking and snapping at him he has a right to defend himself, Cocoa did the same thing today.

What :eek: dog aggression is out of line unless you want to train the dog to fight the dog needs a damn good correction and put back in it's place.........the only one who does the fighting is the handler and the dog needs to learn that. Too many dog owners try and place discrimintory reasoning when a dog is allowed to react and when they are not, ideally unless you want a full on fight to death to occur down the track, any bristle up's need to be corrected and stopped.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If you punish a dog for warning of it's intentions you get a dog that "snaps" "for no reason".

By punishing the dog for communicating in correct 'dog language' you are teaching the dog not to exhibit the behaviour which allows the intelligent owner to read their dog and act appropriately. The dog learns not to do something which causes it to be punished, which shows that on the whole dogs are considerably more intelligent than some DOL members.

Guest donatella

Never a dull moment at a dog park :eek:

Also, we're only hearing one side of the story here. Gus could have been getting up in the SWF business hence the snapping. I know mine cowers away from big dogs, she's not a fan but she'd never snap at them (she knows her size). Could be all sorts to the story we don't know.

Edited by donatella

Hahah yea, I would fully assume Gus was being annoying, he tends to annoy other dogs in his teenage months... it happened quite a few times after he tried to mount a few male dogs, they pinned him down and Gus was happy as Larry to be told what to do the they would play for a good hour and he wouldn’t try and mount them again... Nala does the same things when dogs mount her so I understand most dogs just do not like it and can react accordingly (we generally don’t take Nala off lead if we are in a heavily off lead area just in case some dogs don’t get the hint to back off).... I think he was confused more than anything, dominant isn’t his game, but his happy to try on the pants and see if they fit, I think in this mutts case it over reacted and a combo of its owners reactions just set both dogs in some anxiety.....

Gus does have very good bite inhibition, so even if he did go for a nip i highly doubt he would have done any damage he went for the side of the neck and not the jugular.

.....I was more concered it was out of character for him to react that way, so dogs he is familiar with im letting him play with... the dogs he has just met I will need to put him on lead and see how we go... its like introducing him to the dog park all over again....

It was a little frustrating how every 5 seconds the SWF owners would be of panic when any dog larger than theirs would come around they would call it back in panic and of course it didnt come back, it would play with the dogs and the owners would hover over trying to get their dog away its like PEOPLE ITS AN OFF LEAD DOG PARK!! if you dont want your dog playing with other dogs of all sizes (there are rarely small dogs there) dont take it off lead IMO.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

:banghead:

Guest donatella

I agree about the offlead park thing which is why I think councils should divide more of them into smaller and larger dog sections.

The reason we get concerned about our smaller dogs playing with larger dogs isn't always that the larger dog is aggressive, but moreso because a bit of rough and tumble can lead to broken bones and all sorts of unpleasant injuries.

I think i've been to off lead parks maybe twice, but I don't go for the reason you stated above, its an off lead park and everyone should have the right to play without me calling my dog back however the owners are just being protective and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I agree about the offlead park thing which is why I think councils should divide more of them into smaller and larger dog sections.

The reason we get concerned about our smaller dogs playing with larger dogs isn't always that the larger dog is aggressive, but moreso because a bit of rough and tumble can lead to broken bones and all sorts of unpleasant injuries.

I think i've been to off lead parks maybe twice, but I don't go for the reason you stated above, its an off lead park and everyone should have the right to play without me calling my dog back however the owners are just being protective and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Yeap I can totally understand the rough play and small dogs, my parents have a SWF and so we have had to teach Gus gentle... this is also a lesson for me to NEVER take my eyes off my dog haha... damn dogs are like children can never have a proper conversation with the adults!!

Sometimes you can see dogs react to their owners emotions, and it can cause problems that may not have occurred otherwise.... I guess there are always going to be dramas at a dog park just never thought my dog would cause it ,I now have no reason to put my spots on a pedestal

:o