Very Slightly Elevated Potassium Levels...

westiemum

Mac is a very happy almost 13 year old. He's just had his second 12 monthly routine blood test. The first one this time last year was 'perfect'. This year was fine too except for a tiny potassium elevation - 6.0 where the top of the normal range is 5.8. Last year was 5.4. Vet not concerned at this point and recommended a further routine test in 12 months.

Should I be doing anything preventative? IS there anything I can do?

I haven't noticed any other change in him at all. No changes in urine output, appetite (he still adores his food!) and is happy and spritely for an old boy. :)

Thoughts?

I work in a human pathology laboratory and delayed centrifugation (where they seperate the cells from the serum) of a blood sample can cause a rise in potassium. Another specimen problem is haemolysis (where some of the blood cells break open) due to a difficult collection. We often see potassium levels that are raised and the doctor will retest in a couple of months and things have returned to normal. If it is trending upwards it can be a sign of decreasing kidney function as a patient ages but you would probably see other abnormalities with creatinine/urea. Hyperkalemia (high potassium) can also be asymptomatic with no clinical significance.

If everything else is fine I wouldn't worry too much, just something to keep an eye on :) Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone - yes thats all a big help. :) I work very hard with these aging westies of mine... so don't want anything that can be dealt with early to slip under the radar. Will re-test in a few months when I'm gainfully employed again! :)

Edited by westiemum

this is from my test, I assume that it would be the same, my pot level was up in my recent bloods,everything else was perfect, the dr said that often the way the blood is transported changes the blood and they often get higher pot , so she had me retested at the medlab , where they were going to spin the blood b4 sending it , so that they can get a more accurate test . I haven;t got the results yet, but this may explain the pot level ,may be worth asking the vet

this is from my test, I assume that it would be the same, my pot level was up in my recent bloods,everything else was perfect, the dr said that often the way the blood is transported changes the blood and they often get higher pot , so she had me retested at the medlab , where they were going to spin the blood b4 sending it , so that they can get a more accurate test . I haven;t got the results yet, but this may explain the pot level ,may be worth asking the vet

Thanks C & C - will ask the vet when I'm next there. :)

Thanks C & C - will ask the vet when I'm next there. :)

let me know what they say please :)