Sydney Dog Training Center Opinions?

Interesting reading.....

after your dog has been trained by us it is your responsibility to have control off your dog and to keep up the training if your dog is dangers you must keep your dog on lead at all time and muzzled we do not take any responsibility if your dog bits anyone or animal

. We do not dock puppies tails when mating to your bitch from our stud dogs we do not take any responsibility if you dock your puppies tails. All puppies and Adult dogs have been vet checked wormed & vaccinated . NOTE ages of dogs are list on the time that the photos are taken the ages of the dogs do change as the month pass prices on dogs are [asis]. Dogs are priced on ability not age

Please note some dogs may need slip safety check chain or collars to be in control and work.

As you can see in the photo above the dog is happy to work no chocker chain or lead needed, My hands are away from the dog he loves it .We are the only dog training company in Australia that understands this method and use this method successfully.

From looking at the photos - though they say they use positive methods, I see several dogs on check chains, including on the agility equipment (check chain and lead on A-Frame), which rings alarm bells. While I have nothing against check chains, most places which advocate clicker training would not use them, and they should certainly NOT be used on agility equipment. Personally I would either get more information on how they train and be wary. Some places do not do what they say they do in terms of methods. My mum had a bad experience with one boarding and training place.

he seems to be a bit like Madonna.

:coffeesplurk:

Hmmmmmm odd , to not splash your name on a good product :)

That's what I thought. Along with the crappy website and hilariously self-absorbed email address it doesn't scream professionalism.

Stay well away from that place. The owner is a fool!

They also do boarding there.

A few years back someone boarded a west highland terrier puppy there approx 3 months old (yes the owner of pup was a fool to board a pup that young!!). Anyway, when the owner returned to collect her puppy - the owner (John) claims that there was a hot windstorm (it was January) and blew the gate open to the puppy's kennel run and the puppy allegedly ran away and disappeared. They made no effort to contact her to let her know what had happended and they still tried to charge her for boarding!

I helped the owner search for that 'missing' pup - nowhere to be seen - none of the neighbours had seen a stray pup and NONE of the neighbours had anything nice to say about John - quite to contrary actually. He was an obnoxious pig who proceeded to follow us around the area we were searching, and hurled verbal abuse at us!

During the search for the puppy we came across another dog training facility nearby - they appeared to be a professional set up and also had nothing nice to say about sydneydogtraining and John.

The owner of the puppy took John to court in order to get re-imbursed for the cost of her puppy and the associated boarding fees. She won and received 80% of what she asked for.

To this day - we have no idea what happened to that puppy.

I would never ever recommend anyone to either board their dog there or have their dog trained by this fool. His entire demeanour and attitude screamed unprofessional, obnoxious, arrogant, unhelpful - he was an awful awful man and I honestly cannot believe that he would be kind to an animal. Personally, I would not trust him with my dogs!

• 2 months later...

That is a shocking story :(

Sadly by the time I had read it, our dog was already there. We got him back safe and sound though.

Results of training. Total failure.

His one and only method is yell and pull really hard on a choke chain.

Looking for a dog behaviourist in the sydney area, as the K9 people are just too far away.

Edited by samjohn

Looking for a dog behaviourist in the sydney area, as the K9 people are just too far away.

What area of Sydney - Sydney is a pretty big place!

Eastern suburbs?

There is a barkbusters in the area, but reviews are mixed about them.

What area of Sydney - Sydney is a pretty big place!

Eastern suburbs?

There is a barkbusters in the area, but reviews are mixed about them.

I do know a few trainers in the Eastern Subs, but I do not think they take on many "students". I am not a big fan of the Bark Busters - not much experience with them, just a few anecdotes of techniques I would not choose, myself. What sort of dog (big or small) and is there anything in particular you want to teach your dog.

I know of a few good trainers that go to Eastern Suburbs Dog Training Club, but I do not know the overall training techniques taught by the club. Or are you hoping for some-one to train your dog for you. Even if you do that, you will still need to put in some hard yards yourself!

Cheers,

samjohn ...

is there any reason you want your dog boarded at training facility and have someone else train it?

My perception of dog education...is that it is a communication between dog and owner..and a terrific experience for both :)

It is all about an owner learning about their dog, how it thinks, and learns ..it is an owner learning to communicate clearly to their dog.

Once that communication is there..and you know how the dog will react ,and why ..then it is a wonderful buzz..of expanding skills .

Sure, someone can train your dog to sit & walk on a leash..but then , you still need the skills to consolidate this ..and you need to be able to communicate .

I love the "lightbulb moment" which happens with a pup/dog ..when ,all of a sudden dog'eyes light up , and it KNOWS what you mean ..and that ,by doing said action, a reward is in the offing :)

I would really hate to miss that by sending a dog away ....it's sort of like watching a baby human take a first step ... one of those things which should be witnessed by parents/those close to the baby :)