August Challenge

tlc

Puck looks so happy! Lovely shot.

Vickie, I have always admired your photos, that one of Shine is just lovely, love the foot up!

Huga, your project sounds interesting!

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick action shot taken in the back yard yesterday afternoon

- my foster Boxer :heart:

Canon 7D

lens 30mm

AV mode

ISO 800

shutter speed 6400 (never go much slower for greyhound action shots)

aperture 3.2

exposure compensation (for white dog) - 2/3

metering centre weighted (again for white dog - then cropped/recomposed)

week31sm.jpg

Great capture Annie, white dogs are tough! When I looked at the picture I thought Mmmmm that dog doesn't look like a boxer. :laugh: Then I realized boxer had to be his name! Do you love your 30mm?

here's some more of my favourite portraits. All of the same dog, and she's not mine. It's Iggy Mums beautiful little girl Zoey, who has to be about the most photogenic little princess I've ever met. I'm not big on editing so they're all pretty much straight out of camera.

5176776172_055f5b38e4.jpg

IMG_4535dpp by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 7D

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)

Aperture f/1.4

Focal Length 50 mm

ISO Speed 400

Taken with my old 400D

Looking very Demure

4250153500_a249e5f878.jpg

demure by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 400D Digital

Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)

Aperture f/2.0

Focal Length 50 mm

ISO Speed 400

3227762361_bc35f5d894.jpg

IMG_3021 by kirislin, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 400D Digital

Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)

Aperture f/2.0

Focal Length 50 mm

ISO Speed 200

:laugh: Its amazing how hard it is to get good shots of them, I love my white girl with a good colourful back ground, I think black dogs are harder to shoot than white. Ive just been to the hospital to do my volunteer work with Tully and her ebign white and the other dog that we go with being black, the photos are always a bit hit and miss, I just snap away with my iPhone. They are like ebonie and ivory. :laugh:

Black and White & the good old iPhone!

Great capture Annie, white dogs are tough! When I looked at the picture I thought Mmmmm that dog doesn't look like a boxer. :laugh: Then I realized boxer had to be his name! Do you love your 30mm?

mmm sorry - he has one brindle eyebrow and ear - that's how he got his name I expect, but yes he is a greyhound.

Yes I love my Sigma 30mm 1.4 - it is just the right 'size' for capturing greys. 50mm is 'too close' for portraits in the house, and for zoomies in the yard. My everday day lens - that I attach for a day out for no particular reason (if you know what I mean), is my sigma 17 - 70.

White dogs are the worst, especially if next to a black dog.

Love photographing black dogs on their own though - easy peasy with 'nice' light.

White and black dogs should be banned I say :laugh:

yes my dog has (roughly) half a white face and half a black face. And it can make things very difficult!

Also I have an extremely pale, fair-haired child and she has these lovely moments with our black dog Digby and I can never capture them properly because of their colouring!

Oh yes, white dogs. Who on earth would have one of those? :laugh:

I am really partial to any white dogs, I just love the lighter colours, very dam hard to keep them clean though especially with a full coat and a park full of horse poo. :rofl:

Raineth, you have a dane right? For some reason I thought you had a lab?

Oh yes, white dogs. Who on earth would have one of those? :laugh:

I am really partial to any white dogs, I just love the lighter colours, very dam hard to keep them clean though especially with a full coat and a park full of horse poo. :rofl:

Raineth, you have a dane right? For some reason I thought you had a lab?

hey tlc yeah I have a Dane (rescue- so she's not your 'classical' looking Dane) and maybe you thought I had a lab because of Digby, he can look a bit labrador-like at times :)

Taking selfies today was not successful :(

selfies are quite challenging I think!

Definitely! Not for a newbie. I had fun at the start but it wore off quickly when I couldn't get any good shots. Was wishing my remote was here already too. I learned something new though - the self timer can only take multiple shots if the flash is off.

The photos were supposed to be an anniversary present to my husband so I will make do with what I have and the rest of the gift can be that he can take some of me himself LOL

Another question- my camera has 2 card slots so I use both, I chose to have one as JPEG and one as RAW so that I can experiment with RAW files. But when I put the card that's meant to have RAW on it into the computer, it says they are JPEGS. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? I have checked both cards.

Taking selfies today was not successful :(

Thats a pity I know how you feel, Selfies are not my thing, too hard, might have a crack if I get a remote. Not sure about your card issue?

I have had a play today, the back yard int he arvo can be tough light so much sun and shadows today, I have a big shaded area from buses too but I had fun, so did the dogs.

Ok I have a question for RAW users, can I import a RAW file to LR and then just edit it to a preset and thats it? I am not sure Im doing the RAW thing right as I look at the pics and think they look fine and don't need anything doing to them?? I tweak them a bit, but not much and I think they look ok, they way I hear people talk about RAW files I feel I'm not doing enough to them?

ANyway here are two that were RAW with a preset added, do you think they work?

fa5c5d4d.jpg

07e3c9ad.jpg

Im working on getting the whole body in as I usually only get the top half.

Thoughts anyone?