Pets Paradise In Receivership

Katdogs

I'm not a poster child for petshops, I'm just embarrassed at the narrow minded behavior on this forum in this regard. There are god knows how many people out there who have purchased a puppy from a pet shop (not always spontaneous and yes, believe it or not special 'pure breed dogs') and have bought a healthy, amazing animal that they have had the pleasure of owning..you all seem to assume every pet shop in Australia supports puppy farms and all the dogs they sell are treated poorly and sick...I'm not the one who needs to be educated

Narrow minded on this forum? - are you for real? :eek:

Have you ever been to a puppy farm or rescued a puppy farm dog? I have. We have rescued many ex pf dogs - and am glad to say all rehomed in loving homes. I have seen first hand the cruelty, horror, the non existent vet care, open wounds, maggots, massive infections, malnutrition and the list goes on.

Then there is the mental trauma and physchological damage. Puppy farm dogs often circle continuously from lack of exercise, being confined to a pen for many years with no social interaction and no exercise.

I own two ex puppy farm dogs - one spent six years confined in a very small pen. Their rehabilitation has been long but the rewards have been immense.

The public needs education as Dogmad states, to buy their new puppy from a good registered breeder.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with schanuzer on this one. My girl was used for breeding pups at a well known pet shop. She didn't have a name, was never groomed (she is a mini schnauzer so was a ball of knots), was never, ever walked or positively interacted with. She never saw a vet and had ear and eye infections when rescued. She has been out of there for 3 years and still bears the scars. She will most probably never be a normal dog.

I'm sure her puppies are wonderful (well, not so sure, she is fear aggressive and they lived in terrible conditions for the first 8 weeks, so who knows?), however, the price that my Lucy paid to give people their cute puppies was FAR too high.

You can get a great dog from a petshop or puppy farm - I got my boy from Freedom Kennels before I knew what they were like and he is an amazing dog - however, no ethical breeder would outsource the sale of their pups to a pet shop. No ethical breeder wants their dogs to be living in a glass cage 24/7 having strangers poke and prod at them. No ethical breeder would be happy with the sales process being "you have the money, you get the dog". They want to meet the buyer, find out about them, tell them about the breed, get a "feel" for them etc. They tell buyers that, if things go wrong, they can always return the pup.

i think pet shop throw aways are not just the fault of shops but the sort who throw away a pet do so even if they are from a regoed breeder, they are the sort would not return the dog to the breeder.

i have 4 retreads in this house all bred from breeders at some point and thrown away by a throw away owner.... nothing to do with a pet shop...

I'm not a poster child for petshops, I'm just embarrassed at the narrow minded behavior on this forum in this regard. There are god knows how many people out there who have purchased a puppy from a pet shop (not always spontaneous and yes, believe it or not special 'pure breed dogs') and have bought a healthy, amazing animal that they have had the pleasure of owning..you all seem to assume every pet shop in Australia supports puppy farms and all the dogs they sell are treated poorly and sick...I'm not the one who needs to be educated

The day the public stop focussing on the cute puppies and asks hard questions about the lives their PARENTS lead, will be the day this ghastly trade's days are numbered.

Friend of mine lived next door to a puppy farmer. All breeding dogs shedded in uninsulated colour bond sheds with no outside access. Winter or summer, that was it. They went in and the ONLY way they left was to the skip at the back of the property. But hey, they were fed and watered so there was nothing the RSPCA could do.

And those pups were supplied to pet stores all over Sydney.

Pull your head out of the sand Sorks and ask yourself what kinds of puppy suppliers can supply litters often enough to keep the perspex prisons full at chain petstores.

Then ask yourself what confining a puppy to a small area where it eats, shits and plays in the one spot for weeks does to future house training prospects. Friend of mine bought a petstore pup (yes, she knew better but couldn't leave it there after two months) and her vet said she'd NEVER seen a pup with weaker muscle development. That's what living in a box without room to play and access to direct sunlight does for pups.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

My tactic with pet shops is to talk quietly to people who look like they may be going to impulse buy a "cute" pup... I tell them some stories about the dogs we've had through our rescue, then tell them that there are heaps of rescue dogs/pups available through petrescue.com.au - at a MUCH cheaper price and with all vetwork, etc, done...

T.

Yay! Snap T! One of my favourite lunch-time past-times was seeing how many potential pet-shop puppy buyers I could put off in half an hour! My record is 7...

It is closed now but I was frequently ejected from a large Hobart city petshop for "harassing" their clientele and after the last time was told if I went back in there, they would call the constabulary.....

I dont "harass" the clientele... just offer them better options at better prices... *grin*

I don't get loud or demand an audience - just attempting to change one mind at a time... the store staff don't even cotton on to what I'm doing... hehe!

T.

I dont "harass" the clientele... just offer them better options at better prices... *grin*

I don't get loud or demand an audience - just attempting to change one mind at a time... the store staff don't even cotton on to what I'm doing... hehe!

T.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My tactic with pet shops is to talk quietly to people who look like they may be going to impulse buy a "cute" pup... I tell them some stories about the dogs we've had through our rescue, then tell them that there are heaps of rescue dogs/pups available through petrescue.com.au - at a MUCH cheaper price and with all vetwork, etc, done...

T.

Yay! Snap T! One of my favourite lunch-time past-times was seeing how many potential pet-shop puppy buyers I could put off in half an hour! My record is 7...

It is closed now but I was frequently ejected from a large Hobart city petshop for "harassing" their clientele and after the last time was told if I went back in there, they would call the constabulary.....

:rofl: Ah Ellz! You need some lessons from the westiemum school of subtle unobtrusive persuasion with a smile!! :rofl: :rofl: I didn't harrass people either - with a smile on my face I would engage them in conversation so the staff never twigged what I was up - and sweetly told them to go to a registered breeder or onto petrescue fo a cheaper and much better, less risky option - many people thanked me. :) And I had a story ready if I was ever quizzed - but I wasn't - and those staff weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the block... :)

Edited by westiemum

T.

:rofl: Ah Ellz! You need some lessons from the westiemum school of subtle unobtrusive persuasion with a smile!! :rofl: :rofl: I didn't harrass people either - with a smile on my face I would engage them in conversation so the staff never twigged what I was up - and sweetly told them to go to a registered breeder or onto petrescue fo a cheaper and much better, less risky option - many people thanked me. :) And I had a story ready if I was ever quizzed - but I wasn't - and those staff weren't exactly the sharpest knives in the block... :)

I actually wasn't "harassing" people either...that's what THEY said I was doing. I think the problem was more the amount of times I went in there moreso than what I might have been saying. Being a small place with only 3 staff members at the time, it was a bit hard to slip under the radar and remain unnoticed after the first few occasions.

There are some really good pet shops out there, there is some that aren't good....there are some really good breeders out there, then there is also some that aren't good...stop assuming and categorizing every pet shop you see as being inhumane, disgusting and assuming they have no care in the world for animals because that is entirely untrue...not all pet shops buy from puppy farms and just because some breeders have gone out there and got themselves 'show titles' that makes them oh so much better...and for the record, some breeders confine their pups too! I know first hand many breeders that sell their pups to pet shops and are quite happy to do so, the reason: because not all pet shops are as evil as you all make out!

1343908583[/url]' post='5918208']

There are some really good pet shops out there, there is some that aren't good....there are some really good breeders out there, then there is also some that aren't good...stop assuming and categorizing every pet shop you see as being inhumane, disgusting and assuming they have no care in the world for animals because that is entirely untrue...not all pet shops buy from puppy farms and just because some breeders have gone out there and got themselves 'show titles' that makes them oh so much better...and for the record, some breeders confine their pups too! I know first hand many breeders that sell their pups to pet shops and are quite happy to do so, the reason: because not all pet shops are as evil as you all make out!

I think you're on the wrong forum.

Ta ta.

Yes, there are some really good pet shops out there - ones that don't sell live animals. Any pet store that sells live animals is as evil as we make out because they cannot know all they need to know to make an informed decision about the homes those puppies are going to. Inappropriate home choices lead to problem behaviours and dogs ending up in pounds.

Any breeder who would put the future home choice of any puppy they bred in the hands of shop assistants is irresponsible, unethical and quite frankly, an idiot. Individual breeds have individual needs. Individual lines within breeds have special needs. I'm yet to meet anyone who works in a pet shop who knows the needs of EVERY breed out there and knows the lines of every dog they sell so that they can choose an appropriate home.

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Yes, there are some really good pet shops out there - ones that don't sell live animals. Any pet store that sells live animals is as evil as we make out because they cannot know all they need to know to make an informed decision about the homes those puppies are going to. Inappropriate home choices lead to problem behaviours and dogs ending up in pounds.

Any breeder who would put the future home choice of any puppy they bred in the hands of shop assistants is irresponsible, unethical and quite frankly, an idiot. Individual breeds have individual needs. Individual lines within breeds have special needs. I'm yet to meet anyone who works in a pet shop who knows the needs of EVERY breed out there and knows the lines of every dog they sell so that they can choose an appropriate home.

+1. Couldn't agree more Shell. Very well said.

The only pet store I will enter is a living animal free one :)

Edited by BC Crazy

It sounds like you own one of these pet shops? Thanks for trying to tell us how wonderful some are, but I'll continue to support stores that don't sell live animals.

You're right, Sorks. There are plenty of registered breeders who have terrible ethics and poor breeding practices. And I've seen plenty of dogs in my breed of choice with Champion titles who really shouldn't.

But at the end of the day, what makes someone a good breeder is a personal decision. For me, any breeder who sells to a pet shop, regardless of how 'good' they might be, is not a good one. Placing puppies in that sort of situation and not having control over the home those puppies go to? Not cool in my eyes.

Perhaps there are some pets shops out there who screen homes and ensure all their puppies have had the relevant health testing. But to me, selling animals in a shop like situation isn't something I agree with, on both a professional and emotional level. That's my informed opinion and nothing can be said to change my mind.

Thank you stormie, your the first person to at least understand what I'm trying to say, and I respect that that's your informed opinion...sure beats listening to people put on their blinkers and instantly slender all pet shops as evil and all breeders as god-like!