August Photo Challenge Part 2

gapvic

I'll have a better look at Flickr and see what I can find. Even that pic of Alec, its ok but Im struggling to see anything special about it! Didn't like the one of Clooney at all!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I think your right, and like a lot of techniques look better on some photos than others, I wasn't a fan of HDR till I found a preset in lightroom that does a similar style and applied it to one pic I took and absolutely loved it, now I will at least experiment whereas before I wouldn't give it the time of day. i love exploring techniques and seeing what people come up with.

So I went out this morning to grab some shots in the fog. Used my old 50 prime and was pretty sure I didn't touch the green button while taking all the shots (all on manual). I do the first stitch on sopme of the shots and it looks like exposure has shifted, but exif in bridge tells me they are all the same :mad You can really see it in stitching and it's also done a really crap job of stitching too. I can't even post an example as I can't upload.

Ok, this is really not good I tried a different set and same issue, there is noticeably different exposures even though the exif says the exposure is the same. Does anyone know what might be going on? Manual prime 50mm 1.7 and everything set on manual. I'm going to go ahead and do the full picture and go down and upload later to show the example.

Edited by Reverend Jo

I usually leave WB on auto and adjust in camera raw because I always forget to change it between shoots. I've got CS5 so use that. I just tried a two and three stitch shot and they were fine, but they were also a lot further away (trees in fog). The one I'm trying for the bokehrama practise is some moss on a rock, I was fairly close to it (about 3 or 4 foot away) and then shooting around it and it seems to be the area I'm closest to has exposure issues. I'm thinking it has to be something to do with the plane of shooting somehow changing the way the light is hitting the sensor. Even though I tried to keep it at the same level as I went through the shots. There are forty all together so I have to stitch in small batches. Bugger, it gives me a good bokeh at 1.7 but if it's going to do this it won't be much use. It will take a while but I'll do all the stitching and try to get a low res version that will upload,. Once I have it all on one canvas I can see if it is just a problem when it's close to a subject.

I am no expert on this method at all but I did read that it was essential to set your white balance or it would alter the exposure on each individual shots. Maybe try that and have another go?

Crap, I didn't see that on any other tutorials I had read, and it didn't do it on any other of the stitches or with other lenses. I'm still putting it together to show what happened. I'll do some test shots with this lens as well as all the panos I've done with auto WB have been perfect, even the three shot stitch this morning was ok with the 50. Might be just this lens that needs it on some shots. Wish it didn't take so damn long to process!

ETA, I am confident you are right about it being WB and have just been lucky with stitching and exposure on the other shots. I'll go back to that spot and redo it to see if that is it.

Edited by Reverend Jo

But you don't get the wide angle feel, which is why we are hurting our brains doing this :laugh: It's like a DD, a cross between tele and wide angle, except no puppies get hurt in the making of. My pc is hurting but that doesn't matter! I should do what is suggested and shoot in jpeg to cut processing times.

Jo your posts have made me laugh today, funny. :laugh: Look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

CC, your snail shot is amazing, what kind of macro lens did you use for that?

Its funny Macro is never really been something Ive been interested in but then I see awesome pictures like yours and absolutely love them. Iltby was another awesome Macro taker!

Im surprised at the price of that lens I thought they would be worth a fortune!

Edited by tlc