August Photo Challenge Part 2

gapvic

I'm tired after a couple of big days so didn't get back there, am planning on doing some more tomorrow. With the above pics, I think the first has the best feel because you can see enough of the scene in the background that is out of focus, the second is a bit sharp around the building. The third would be better I think if the model was closer giving the opportunity for more behind her OOF. The wall of trees cut it off a bit. Good job on stitching and getting all the scene in. What F stop did you have and how many pictures in each?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are great GV, The first one is my favourite, it has kind of a macro 3d ish effect. I love the one of you, your dress is an awesome colour and I think it works well in the shot. Also love the cemetery one, that little teddy just got me. I must be really lazy because the thought of lining up all them pictures and stitching them all together just does my head in and I couldn't be bothered, :laugh: So well done great job. Sorry Im not familiar with the technique so can't really give you any technical feedback.

Oooh, there's more :D Ok, shot of the headstones needs a bit more of the area either side of the headstones I think, then it would great, it is good! Same with the fence, just a bit more extra real estate needed. By the end of this we should have this thing nailed, you are almost there :thumbsup: I've woken up a bit now so I might wander around a bit and see if setting WB to manual clears up my exposure issue.

I think the edits are better with the path and the fence, not sure about the crop with you. I think the path needs a thing on it rather than just the path to show something solid in focus to contrast with the OOF areas. when I do a Hungry Jacks run I think I'll go back through the flickr examples and save some outstanding ones to get a handle on what really works. I just went outside but ended up putting on the tele and shooting lambs in golden light :laugh: I want a foggy morning again to get the mossy rock I was trying out. I could do a drive around tomorrow in the hills and find something else.

Hmm, I had a go at this but I don't know if I like how it turned out.

firstgoatphotoexpansion.jpg

Yes, that is a kids headband :p , I found it just lying there so used it as the main focus.

It doesn't look right to me for some reason :confused:

Probably just the wrong angle on the headband, it's hard to tell what it is and maybe too shallow a depth of field, too much is really OOF so can't see what the surroundings are. I'm stitching together some I took this morning, but I think I stuffed up a bit and didn't get overlap on a bit on one set. I seem to have lost my ability to line things up correctly :( I also went to the stop between 1.7 and 2.8 and it seems to really have reduced my OOF areas, even though it is still wide open. Going to be a long wait for stitching and I suspect I'll be heading back there to reshoot, again.

How I did the first practise shot without hulk smashing everything I have no idea. Two hours to stitch, stitching not great in places and 10 minutes to crop. first time said not enough RAM, even though I have it set to use maximum. I have 4 gig of RAM but I suspect my CPU might be inadequate. The one I have near completion needs more of the surrounding landscape too I think, but that means more pictures and I'm not sure my computer can do it. I think I might have converted my first one to jpegs so they might have been smaller to start with before stitching. I'm going to finish this one if it destroys my will to live along with my frakking computer so it will be uploaded!

I've reached some zen point now after going through a whole lot of emotions :laugh: My tips, reduce the size of your jpegs if stitching a lot of shots, once your images gets to over 800mb photoshop goes catatonic and can't do anything. It also crashes taking three hours of processing with it! Photoshop also has mood swings where it says no, I will NOT align these images this time. Yes I know I aligned them a few hours ago but I need a pay increase or something, you work it out. If you do not surrender to my vague demands I will put these damn photos together any way I want, forcing you to eat that entire family size block of chocolate while you weep quietly and ponder stamp collecting.

So this has been a tale of one human's battle against adversity and the increasing free will of her previously compliant computer, which, it is now suspected to have been taken over by cylon technology.

:laugh: :rofl: Jo I feel your pain I really do! I have myself totally convinced that there is something wrong with my camera. :laugh: I have found so much bad stuff on the net about my particular model and now I keep telling myself there is bad stuff about everything! I know its me and I need to practice practice practice but this focus thing has really got me pissed off! Apparently its a well known problem with the 7D even as late as July this year. :confused::( but the thing I don't understand is if this camera has been out so long then wouldn't all the issues have been ironed out by now and why would they still be making it! So this gives me hope that it is handler error, Ill be happy once I get some constantly sharper images, just wish the weather would pick up so I could be out and about more. Cant wait to try some action with the puppas!

Sorry for going seriously off topic.

Edited by tlc

I know what you mean about getting paranoid about your camera capabilities. My K7 is known to be not awesome with AF, K5 much better and when I get some spare money (HA!) I'll get a K5. But really, we are our own worst enemy because our cameras are very good and we let the negatives colour our views too much. You've already improved a lot with focusing, think where you'll be in a months time with the progress you are making.

With this style, I'm going back to practising with my 28-80 macro (the one I used with my dog on a hill) till I get a fast prime. I thought I might be able to pull it off with a fast 50 but it's not going to cut it. Way to much barrel distortion to stitch and the lack of compression is really noticeable so I'm going to see what's on ebay. You can get 135mm fast primes for next to nothing. I have to submit for this months comp tomorrow and I have two still life photos to produce, I'm a bit behind :eek:

Had some good advice this morning and it was very similar to what Snook said in a different thread.

Sharpness can also be a matter of different things including camera shake, lighting-exposure-contrast of the scene, and most importantly good or bad choice of glass/LENS.

The "bad stuff about the 7D and constantly off focus issues" that are out there on the internet are most likely from people who doesn't understand and know how to use their gear properly.

I know all this stuff and need to stop second guessing everything!

Sounds like you need to get cracking! You are so right we are our own worst enemies!