Tail Docking Laws

jackofhearts

Hi , I show JRT's in Tas and I am looking at buying a puppy to show from New Zealand. The puppy has been docked. My question is , am I allowed to show her here with a docked tail. I am not fan of the docked look but that is the way she is so cannot change it. Cheers Sharon

Silly question, as I'm not involved in the showing or breeding world, but wouldn't the judges naturally be drawn towards the dog with a full tail rather than the one with the docked one? I'm only asking because it's illegal in Australia.

No the majority of judges are not drawn towards full tails.

Edited by Aziah

Hi , I show JRT's in Tas and I am looking at buying a puppy to show from New Zealand. The puppy has been docked. My question is , am I allowed to show her here with a docked tail. I am not fan of the docked look but that is the way she is so cannot change it. Cheers Sharon

You need to contact your canine control and find out exactly what paperwork you need to re-register a docked dog in Tas. I have just done a litter in NZ & we needed specific paperwork for each puppy.

The banding MUST be done by an accredited bander listed with the NZKC.

I show Min Pins which used to be a docked breed before the law passed, and I own a long tail Min Pin and have shown others too with long tails and they have beaten dogs with docked tails.

Recently was under Japanese judges which is traditionally a crop (Ears) and dock (tail) country which saw two long tail Min Pins won both Challenges and BOB over docked Min Pins entered.

But I find most judges nowadays will judge tail docked or not as equal, and it just comes down to their opinion of the dog. I have not had experienced any judges that would only put up docked tails dogs thankfully!

It's taken awhile, but I think judges are getting used to seeing tails now and CAN look past it :thumbsup:

I would say thats true in one of my breeds - Fields but definitely not true in Aussies. Tails are still rarely shown as judges will prefer to put up a NBT - I guess its because thats such a defining feature of the breed.

It's taken awhile, but I think judges are getting used to seeing tails now and CAN look past it :thumbsup:

LOL u think? I showed my Schipperke in Gilgandra a couple of weeks ago and the Judges comment was "Gee, they really look different with a tail!" So whilst that may be true in some breeds, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case with Schipperkes.

LOL u think? I showed my Schipperke in Gilgandra a couple of weeks ago and the Judges comment was "Gee, they really look different with a tail!" So whilst that may be true in some breeds, unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the case with Schipperkes.

I had a Canadian judge say similar to me about the OES I was showing "it's the first time I've judged them with a tail and it's a lot to get used to". He went on to put him up for BOB. Just because they commented on the tail it doesn't mean they were biased about them having one.

I had a Canadian judge say similar to me about the OES I was showing "it's the first time I've judged them with a tail and it's a lot to get used to". He went on to put him up for BOB. Just because they commented on the tail it doesn't mean they were biased about them having one.

Unfortunately, I have found that every time they make a comment about the tail they then proceed to put up the docked dogs. The ones that don't say anything or have something complimentary to say about the tail, usually go for the tailed dogs....

This issue applies to many breeds and not necessarily about the tail. Yes, some judges may be biased against a natural tail, but there are many judges that look past the tail and judge the dog for the dog.

Even with breeds that have always had long tails, sure you have come across judges that may put up certain exhibitor no matter what your dog looks like. There are also exhbitors out there who are kennel blind and think their dogs are the ants pants and either say "my dog lost because it has a tail" or "I didn't win because the judge always puts up so and so". At the end of the day, it is a dog show and you pay for the judge's opinion and if you don't feel the judge was good, then don't enter under him or her in the future. Everyone loves their dog(s) and you are going home from the show with the dogs you love.

In response to the orginial query, agree with Bisart that each state will require certain paperwork and make sur that the tail banding is done by an accredited bander overseas.

Good luck with your new dog. Wishing you success, but more importantly, fun in the show ring.

Yes you can still show here. The day, if the day ever comes where you are NOT allowed to show a legally docked dog I will be quitting showing. I am in dobes, hate them with tails, and whilst people complain that Judges dont put up their dogs because they have "tails" they dont realise its just because their dogs arent good enough! the excuses some people will make haha.

Any way, the tail issue with dobes is kinda fun because most of the dobes with tails have curly tails (this is not correct),as IF the dobe was docked, the tail would clearly be what is called a "gay" tail. Its much harder to hide a bad tail set if your dog has a full tail in my breed but nonetheless the Judges dont realise bad tail sets when they see them because they cant comprehend tails to begin with!

My dogs are docked by Martyn Dobermanns, I have never been asked to produce proof but I have a "sheet of paper" with their banding licence or whatever it is and my dogs registered name.

Bloody RSPCA and idiotic public, cause all this mess for the rest of us when they could just be saving dogs in puppy mills and other relevant situations.

Yes you can still show here. The day, if the day ever comes where you are NOT allowed to show a legally docked dog I will be quitting showing. I am in dobes, hate them with tails, and whilst people complain that Judges dont put up their dogs because they have "tails" they dont realise its just because their dogs arent good enough! the excuses some people will make haha.

Any way, the tail issue with dobes is kinda fun because most of the dobes with tails have curly tails (this is not correct),as IF the dobe was docked, the tail would clearly be what is called a "gay" tail. Its much harder to hide a bad tail set if your dog has a full tail in my breed but nonetheless the Judges dont realise bad tail sets when they see them because they cant comprehend tails to begin with!

My dogs are docked by Martyn Dobermanns, I have never been asked to produce proof but I have a "sheet of paper" with their banding licence or whatever it is and my dogs registered name.

Bloody RSPCA and idiotic public, cause all this mess for the rest of us when they could just be saving dogs in puppy mills and other relevant situations.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: