Rspca Puppy Farm Raid On Channel 7

Christina

Double edged sword i thought.

Yes they were rescued, but how many would have made it out alive from the RSPCA'S hands? I am sure all the pups sold well, mums would not have been so lucky.

Plus great money earner for the RSPCA, i bet lots gave money after last night.

I would like to have known how many actually got rehomed.

Aweful result allowing them to "own' only 3 dogs, easy to work around that one.

They should have been banned from living on a property with any dogs forever.

$35,000 doesn't come close when they had that many dogs churning out pups ,lots of the mums were old, so wasn't a new venture, they would have earned alot more over the years than that.

Took along time to do anything too, those dogs didn't get into that condition overnight.

I also have to disagree about making it out of the RSPCA's hands alive. I would assume that the 'viable' dogs would have been found homes. Just as an example, that poor black lab, renamed Tess, who was at the end of the program with her new owner is proof that the RSPCA did all it could to save these dogs. What about the one who had cataract surgery. Not an organization that doesn't care. What did you expect them to do with the pups. Give them away? They would need to recoup expenses.

I do agree that the sentence handed out to the dreadful owners is too lenient.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly too many people just can't see the reason to spend the extra $ to buy from a reputable breeder. They'd rather not think about where pup came from :( Very sad.

Ban pet shop/Internet sales and I'm pretty sure the stray/homeless dog issue would greatly improve, not to mention the quality of life for many dogs/responsible ownership. Good breeders don't just sell their pups to the highest bidders.

By the time the court case concluded all of the pups were fully grown dogs and had been in care for over 12 months. Due to the length of time it took to prosecute this matter there was only a very small number of the dogs whose foster carers decided to put them up for adoption. The rest were all adopted by their foster parents for a discounted fee. I can assure you the dogs were well looked after and even those with some quite difficult medical issues were actually adopted by the staff members who had worked very hard at keeping them alive.

I watched in horror.

If they can take proceeds of drug 'business' from those found guilty or drug pushing, why can they not take the massive proceeds of sale of poor pups from these ratbags????

And they should have been banned for life from keeping ANY pets.

I too don't understand how people who have been so negligent with any animal can ever own any of them again. They should not even be allowed to own freaking goldfish because they have proven to have either an inability or disinterest in meeting the basic needs of the animals they have had. It is not a case of one strike you're out but 250 strikes and you are out because that is how many dogs had to be removed from their 'care'.

If I ever I forget to get fired up about the puppy farming issue/back yard breeding issue then all I need to do is remind myself that a dog with no eyes was basically allowed to be raped so these 'inhuman beings' could make money. That dog would've had no idea what was put in the pen with her or what was going to happen. She could not read body language or see to protect her own body in some way (like sitting down). She was at thw owners mercy and in my mind she was raped. I've never used that word in relation to a dog before but there was no way she could've consented on any level to that mating so to me she was violated in the worst possible way.

You know I'd really like to see a show on tv sometime where these BYBs and PFs speak out and defend themselves, even if their identities are kept anonymous. I'd really like to know what drives them to do this and whether they lack empathy towards human beings, their children, spouses or other animals as well? Do they kid themselves that they are doing it because they love animals or because they don't know any other way to make a living? I'd really like to know how they justify this to themselves and their local communities, let alone to the owners they sell these poor puppies to. How can they look in the faces of these damaged dogs? How can they bare the stench of where they keep them accomodated? How the hell can they look at a precious new born puppy and not want the best for it? I truly don't understand them and perhaps if we did we could address the problem at their level because going to court and being fined don't seem to change much. Perhaps they should have to go to court ordered therapy as well???

Sadly too many people just can't see the reason to spend the extra $ to buy from a reputable breeder. They'd rather not think about where pup came from :( Very sad.

Ban pet shop/Internet sales and I'm pretty sure the stray/homeless dog issue would greatly improve, not to mention the quality of life for many dogs/responsible ownership. Good breeders don't just sell their pups to the highest bidders.

Tibbie Tabbie have you seen what pet shops are charging? In some cases they are charging more than a registered breeder AND there is no guarantee the dog is the breed it is advertised as! People are buying bitsa's from pet shops for like $985 because they think it is a pure bred! Would you buy fake Jimmy Choo shoes or a Gucci handbag for the same price as a real one? Nope, so why do people do it with dogs??? People impulse buy shoes and handbags too so it can't just be an emotional buy and it certainly isn't a bargain!

Really?! I didn't realise, I refuse to buy ANYTHING from stores that sell pups/kittens and just assumed they were cheaper (as mixed breed, etc)

So it really is a case of impulse buying/ no questions asked then? I guess my question is why do people buy from pet shops?

Lol, a client of ours was going on about their cavoodle.... I asked how much they paid for her $1800!!!!!! i was like :dropjaw: you paid that much money for a mutt!!

Whaaaaaaat?! Lol, I've never bought from a breeder myself (although my parents did), so I didn't have any idea those were the prices! What would a pure poodle cost out of interest?

No Poodle prices up but cav puppies were $850 to $900. I'm going to look at huskies now as they are common in pet shops (and rescue!) up here. Couldn't find any puppy husky prices. I remember seeing an older shar pei puppy in a pet shop for sale for $785 and being told by the shop owner that she could tell it was pure bred by the black tongue. The dog was terrified. Now I actually know more about shar pei I know that dog was a cross with something much larger and it has probably ended up in rescue for being unmanageable as it would've not have gone to the right kind of home. Oh and there is a 14 month old pure bred pei being sold on DOL for $450 so some idiot paid $785 for a bitsa. When I was a kid the only way you could get rid of a bitsa was to give it away!

People are being ripped off and dogs are suffering and dying. The only winners are pet shop owners and the so called 'breeders'. Maybe there should be some kind of legal cooling off period for live animal purchases (like with door to door sales people) so that people go home and do their homework to make sure they got a healthy dog and can meet its needs? I accept this would be hard on any puppies returned BUT if pet shop owners had to accept returns and provide refunds perhaps they would be more careful in sourcing healthier puppies to sell, selling them as the true breed they are (ie obtaining more history on the animal) and be more focussed on selling to the right homes? Surely if they want to be in the business of selling live animals they have to take some responsibility in the process? Even when you buy fish you will get asked which size and type of tank you already own so you don't go trying to put a large warm water fish in a small tank without heating.But all pet shops seem to be concerned about with puppies is if you need a collar and leash, bed, coat, food, etc. Where is their duty of care to the animals and customers?

This issue is totally bugging me today after the show last night. Whatever consumer education is out there is not working.

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

Really?! I didn't realise, I refuse to buy ANYTHING from stores that sell pups/kittens and just assumed they were cheaper (as mixed breed, etc)

So it really is a case of impulse buying/ no questions asked then? I guess my question is why do people buy from pet shops?

I would think a few reasons, but mainly uneducated and convenience

True, I forget not everyone grew up with dogs.....

I've met people who think their dog will automatically act a certain way (ie train itself) as soon as it gets old enough : /

Thing is if they bought from a breeder they would learn this stuff, traits etc.

I also saw a shar pei in a pet shop, it was there for 4- 6 months, its fur was so bad had bald patches and its nails were starting to curl under, it was $1600 and they would not drop the price.

Could the RSPCA not take the dog in this instance? Sounds like abuse to me.

Lol, a client of ours was going on about their cavoodle.... I asked how much they paid for her $1800!!!!!! i was like :dropjaw: you paid that much money for a mutt!!

Whaaaaaaat?! Lol, I've never bought from a breeder myself (although my parents did), so I didn't have any idea those were the prices! What would a pure poodle cost out of interest?

My toy poodle was $1300 and my standard $2000 both from registered breeders

People are being ripped off and dogs are suffering and dying. ...

This issue is totally bugging me today after the show last night. Whatever consumer education is out there is not working.

Yes. I've always argued that the sale of puppies/dogs, and their breeding, is a double issue.....welfare and consumer.

The Australian consumers' association, CHOICE, actually has a good webpage with guidelines on how to buy a puppy/dog.

In a subtle way, they point people to registered breeders and ethical rescues. But even then, more specific guidelines on what to look for in those instances, would be helpful, for the general pet-buying public.

http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/household/backyard/pets/buying-a-dog.aspx

But how many people would know to look up the CHOICE website? And then take it even further?

Consumer education needs to be more widespread in its reach, and more specific in the guidelines.

Edited by mita