Focus On Focus

tlc

You know what I find is funny the pics I snap and don't think about are the best ones. These two I just picked up the camera looked thought he view finder and snap. Where as the ones I try so hard to get right somehow don't turn out as well. I know the others in my last post are probly not as sharp as the last two you mentioned Snook but they are in focus yea?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least your not looking at them and saying they are completely oof, I was beginning to get paranoid about the camera but I know it's me. Once I can get out and about in better weather and give it a proper test run ill be happy! The waterfall pics were ok and all seemed well focused, ( you may have seen the whole set on FB) and it was an ok kind of day.

I do have it, just gotta find time to read some of it. So much to do so little time. :laugh: it all seemed so much easier with a less complicated camera! Kirislin did warn me! :laugh:

Edited by tlc

I do have it, just gotta find time to read some of it. So much to do so little time. :laugh: it all seemed so much easier with a less complicated camera! Kirislin did warn me! :laugh:

:laugh: It really does require a fair amount of committment to learn. I didn't buy books but I read the manual, and alot on POTN and I took alot of action photos and experimented. There's still some things I'm not sure if I have set in the best configuration, even last race meeting I was chopping and changing settings, except now I forget which ones worked better. :laugh:

I told MnDm alot of the settings I use at the races when we were together and I can see it helped her photos alot, but overall, it's probably better to figure it out yourself. The other thing you will have to do eventually is get a longer lens. I'm sure you're saving up for it now.

Yes it is to me too. :eek: I've had a great read of so much stuff and found a few things people have suggested for focus and how to set it up.

This one was interesting and this guys page/blog is fantastic, he is a 7d owner and after each section is a questions dn answer thing, seems a lot of people have trouble with the AF, so glad it's not just me. I'm going to change some of my settings and hopefully over the next couple of days get out with the dogs and go nuts!

Thanks I think so too, I have learnt to toggle focus points with spot, single point or expansion depending on what I am shooting which seems to be working. with the dogs and close ups I nearly always need to have the focus point/points at the top of the screen to get their faces in focus. Its such a learning curve with this camera as it is obviously capable of so much, focusing was never an issue with the Nikon it just worked but then again it wasn't such a sophisticated camera like the 7D. I also notice how some images seem soft, not just on focus but all over but I have read a few times that good quality filters can help with the image being better. I have only got cheap filters on both of my lenses, so must invest in some better filters soon.

Thanks also for the advice about the tracking.

:laugh: Oh goodie, look forward to your shots, these few threads in here have gone a bit quiet.

Usually they do comply but Cooper seems to have an aversion to the camera lately, I wonder why. :laugh:

Yeah it does help to just go mental and shoot lots using different settings. I find at race meets I stick to what I know works for the most part, then experiment with one thing each time... I find as the race only occurs one, I only really get one opportunity to get that shot.... Bearing in mind I only picked up a camera in January this year. I have found Lightroom has made a difference too, being able to edit, crop, sharpen and de-noise shots .

It's all about confidence I think!

A shot from today, I was close, the focal point was right on his face but the image looks a bit soft, not out of focus but just soft all over with no obvious sharp bits if that makes sense. Although when I zoom in on the image on the computer it is still pretty clear.

file-46.jpg

iso 100, f/5.6, 1/100

Then there was this Magpie. I think he looks more in focus. It was the worse kind of day, spiting rain and so overcast, no good light at all. :(

file-53.jpg

iso 100, f/4, 1/125

Focusing on bigger things seems to be fine.

file-48.jpg

file-49.jpg

file-52.jpg