Hot Spots

smisch

First off thanks to those few Dolers on my FB who replied to my call out..

Okay Miss Ella has decided with help of our other dogs licking and cleaning break out in a sizable hot spot on the shoulders.. I've delt with hot spots on my sheltie before but it's been a while and his were due to an allergy so as soon as we saw the signs we had his pharmacy in the fridge for him..

So far I've clipped and trimmed the site and surrounds and cleaned it thoroughly with Chlorexide and dryed and applied medicated curash powder (as in the nappy powder) to help dry it up..

Anything else?? I have Epi-Optic here which is for skin and ears should I look at applying that.. I know the first rule with hot spots is keep it clean and dry.. Poor girl is having a sook ATM she's inside isolated so the others can't "help" her but she's not too happy with me either and has taken refuge under my bed..

Suggestions appreciated if she's no better I'll have her in at the vet but would like to avoid it if possible!!

TIA

Edited by smisch

I think you've covered all areas unless it gets worse then to the vets for meds :)

I'm thinking at this stage it's as bad as its gonna get but already I'm noticing that's it's not weeping like it was which makes me hopefully as medicating dogs here is a PITA !! I'm still trying to figure out where she got the spot from as noone else has it and it's not a flea issue as we treat for fleas regularly and my partner baths and dries her but it's been a few weeks since that as well.. One of life's mysteries

Alot of people and vets recommend the brown listerine to apply.

Ourselves when we have had hot spots on the Bulldogs we have used Athletes foot powder.

In saying that we havent had a case of hot spots with any of our dogs for years. And with NZ's climate it was always a worry. Here in Aus we have never had a case.

Hot spots usually occur with a humidity change(but not always) Wet eczema can be a bugger to get control of for some. We never clipped our dogs but the hair was dead and we just pulled it out in cleaning it up.

Zinc in my opinion is the best form of treatment and in the powder form. Try not to put too much on but yes the main thing is to keep it dry. If you are finding that pus has developed then of course you will need antibiotics as a secondary infection has occured.

I'm still trying to figure out where she got the spot from as noone else has it

They are not 'caught', as such

it's a bacterial invasion of a nice moist /irritated area .. bacteria is all over your dog .....and it happens very quickly!

keep it dry and clean ..if it is large she may also have a low grade fever ... so just good nutrition, plenty of liquids and vet if it looks nasty.

if a spot is oozing and pus covered ..I may clean it with betadine about 4x a day ...for teh first 24 hrs or so ,as letting a thick scab form at this stage just provides a roof for the bacteria to live under :(

yes, it can hurt!

I have tried a lot of remedies for hot spots and had reasonable success with some but my vet recently gave me a tube of Panalog and seriously 1 application stops hot spots in their track. Just trim the hair and put some of this on it and all fixed. Great stuff.

I have tried a lot of remedies for hot spots and had reasonable success with some but my vet recently gave me a tube of Panalog and seriously 1 application stops hot spots in their track. Just trim the hair and put some of this on it and all fixed. Great stuff.

I think we used to use Panalog years and years and years ago(the name rings a bell but I could be way off track) and there was also a powder prep that was a human medication but the vet could prescribe and we could get the med from a chemist. Then they stopped that med. It wasnt cheap. Cant remember what that was called but it was brilliant.

I agree you have done as much as possible,we also use powder once we have cleaned up hotspots,just seems to heal them faster than creams. Alfie and Issy get a few every summer and we always used to go straight to the vet. Now if we catch them at the weepy stage before the yellow pus stage we manage them at home (we have discussed this with the vet of course). Just do exactly what you have- clip off all hair leaving a clean margin, irrigate with cleansing agent and then we use human grade antiseptic powder from the chemist - the one we have found the best is called Medi-pulv.

One thing I would say and obviously every dog is different but the only time I used listerine, despite the fact I had diluted it; Issy absolutely went through the roof and she is usually very, very stoic so it must of hurt like hell so I wouldn't do that again personally.

My girl must get them very mild as I dont clip the fur but just use the Ilium Neocort cream which on the label says antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic ski Emollient Cream. Also good if you get bitten by a green ant as really takes the sting out!. The hot spots seem to clear up within a day but I have seem then turn pus like or anything.

I'm still trying to figure out where she got the spot from as noone else has it

They are not 'caught', as such

it's a bacterial invasion of a nice moist /irritated area .. bacteria is all over your dog .....and it happens very quickly!

keep it dry and clean ..if it is large she may also have a low grade fever ... so just good nutrition, plenty of liquids and vet if it looks nasty.

if a spot is oozing and pus covered ..I may clean it with betadine about 4x a day ...for teh first 24 hrs or so ,as letting a thick scab form at this stage just provides a roof for the bacteria to live under :(

yes, it can hurt!

Sorry I didn't express it as such I mean I don't understand why she has one and no one else does as they are all living in the same conditions, eat the same food and have baths and stuff in the same shampoo ect.. Nothing new recently..

I would say that yes she is running a low grade fever, I've just left her to her own devices, kept her comfy and offered water and food.. Sadly no betadine cos I'm allergic to iodine which is the base of that stuff!!

Thanks everyone for your replys.. She's a bit more settled this evening but keeping a close eye on her.. Poor Ellie

I feel your pain - my girl currently has 3 on her head :(

Shaving, betadine (or salt water), Desitin nappy cream (has 40% zinc oxide in it) to dry and heal it, at worst antibiotics. Keep it clean and dry and when you're cleaning it out, make sure you scrub it back to pink skin. Also up the intake of Omegas with oily fish, I also supp with Rosehips (extremely high in Vit C - good for immune system (and also arthritis)). Then keep your fingers crossed that they go away by the next show date :(

I've noticed that feeding lamb or mutton (including bones) to my dogs brings on hotspots.

Since stopping all lamb and mutton we haven't had any hotspots.

Last year, I fed one of my bitches mutton bones twice in a week. Didn't think of them having the same effect as actual meat!

SHe got an awful hotspot within days.

To fix the hotspot, I used Elocon lotion, which is only available form the vet or on script from the chemist. Works incredibly well - better than anything else we've tried.

I don't understand why she has one and no one else does as they are all living in the same conditions, eat the same food and have baths and stuff in the same shampoo ect.. Nothing new recently..

because the bacteria colonise an area to which they can get good access - an area which may be scratched/chewed/rubbed/have had an insect bite ... and be perhaps warmer than surrounding skin , have a tiny break in teh skin, and be more moist ....

I feel your pain - my girl currently has 3 on her head :(

Shaving, betadine (or salt water), Desitin nappy cream (has 40% zinc oxide in it) to dry and heal it, at worst antibiotics. Keep it clean and dry and when you're cleaning it out, make sure you scrub it back to pink skin. Also up the intake of Omegas with oily fish, I also supp with Rosehips (extremely high in Vit C - good for immune system (and also arthritis)). Then keep your fingers crossed that they go away by the next show date :(

We've got the curash with zinc oxide going but I may try the desitin... Tomorrows task is to also see if we can find some cortisone spray as well as a cone collar as she has started chewing also vet wrapping her foot to stop her scratching the area..

Thankfully she's out of the ring, this would put her out anyway it's too big to be hidden lol she is gonna have a lovely bald spot for a while! Thankfully agility they shouldn't care it's just gonna be a matter of keeping it all clean and pain free... Little brat is supposed to be demoing Sunday and competing Tuesday so hoping we see improvement!! Crossing fingers for my girl..

As long as you have clipped the hair short & scrubbed it cleaned with the chlorhex it should clear up in a few days if it is not a bad one.

I would keep using the chlorhex. I don't rinse that off.....I get a bit blob of wet cotton wool with a blob of chlorhex and rub at the red spot, then don't rinse this off. If you have some human cortisone cream you could put some of that on.

If it doesn't heal you will need some AB's

I have always just shaved the spot and applied some Neocort for the first attack - and if it doesn't look happier in 24 hours, then I whack on the antiseptic powder to dry it up faster.

Growing the hair back was the slowest part of the whole process.

T.

Thanks all :) she's looking brighter tonight.. The clorhex combined with ectosol and curash is making a difference combined with vet wrapping her back feet so she couldn't scratch it is making a difference.. We also discovered a natural itch free spray with tea tree oil thats supposed to help relieve her...

Poor girl is rather frustrated due to the itch so think it may be time for another clean soon to freshen her up

The listerine that works does so because it contains chlorhexidine. Having said that, you may as well just buy a bottle of chlorhex.

I've found that Malaseb diluted 3mls to 100 of warm water, put in a sauce bottle, quirted on and massaged and then rinsed off the area with more works a treat. I usually treat the area at least twice a dog and make sure you dry it off with a clean towel or paper towel.