How Much Does Your Dog Sleep?

If sleeping was an olympic sport Esky would win gold, silver and bronze.

She sleeps like a pro.

Not sure if it's normal though.

For example two nights ago she went to bed with OH at 11pm, I got home and went to bed at around 2am and woke up at around 11.

She wasn't up until I kicked her off ( speaking in metaphors) at 2pm.

That feels like a looong time, close to 15 hours and no loo break or anything.

Please tell me she's not the only sleepysaurus rex :o

Stan is Captain Snooze. He sleeps most of the day either in the sun on the deck or on the lounge. They get fed around 4pm and Stan will go to the toilet after dinner and that's it. Lounge until I go to bed then he doesn't raise his head again until breakfast. He usually goes straight back to my bed until mid morning. A walk and a couple of zooms around the yard with Maddie per day is enough for him. He is the ultimate lounge lizard my boy :)

Guest donatella

Mine is energy efficient. Has a mid morning nap at about 9.30am and then in the afternoon at about 5 and sleeps all night but is awake the rest of the hours.

Mind you that's when I'm home, I think she sleeps more when I'm not.

No idea in actual hours. My little ones are lively. They don't sleep long overnight, maybe 7 hours but they nap more in the day if I have the fire on & its warm otherwise its go, go & more go. My 10 year old wouldn't sleep 15 hours straight. I wonder if its bred related how much they sleep ?

My JRT cross is a lazy bones. We wake her up, literally in the morning. She'll walk to the lounge and then go to nap again until we call her (and sometimes persuade lol) her to come on morning walks.

Then it's home, a bit of brekkie and into the bean bag where she will sleep almost all day. Then evening walk/run, dinner and then more sleep!

We have cameras to watch them and when we first adopted her I rushed home as I actually thought she may have died as she hadn't moved position in so long!

My lil boy pup and I play a lot but if it means waking up she won't join in.........not interested lol.

But then this is also the dog that has faked a limp/thrown herself to the ground to avoid running or to cut a walk short. I even had her checked at the vets incase it was arthritis or something but it just turned out to be lazyitis. So much for being my running buddy! :laugh:

Mine don't tend to sleep that much, my 7yr old wakes abt 6am then we go walking for an hr/ hr 1/2 then he will stay awake till abt 10 30 then sleep till abt 3pm as we usually go out in the arvo as well. He then sleeps through the night from about 9pm.

My 11 month old is much more active though, tbh some days im not sure she even sleeps at all :laugh: she has the same routine as Troy but she tends to stay awake longer at night :scold: lol

Edna is the biggest lazy bones. She sleeps with me all night, so usually around 11 until 7-9 and go out to the loo. If I'm off to uni for the day she'll sleep with my partner all day (he works night shift). If I'm at home she'll come sit on the couch and sleep there. If the weather is nice the back sliding door is left open, so she comes and goes and she pleases. Sometimes she'll move from the couch to go sleep outside in the sun. Usually around dusk she'll have a big burst of energy and do zoomies and we play a game with her fave toy. She get's amped up for walkies, when she hears my car come home, going in the car, but the rest of the time she's a total lazy bones.

Heidi sleeps a lot now. When she was younger she was full of beans but now she's sowed down a bit. She sleeps on the outside couch if no one is home during the day. If someone is home she'll either follow my dad around or sleep inside. Of a night she has a routine she loves. Couple of walks in the paddock, lay by the heater, dinner, lay by the heater, bickie ball when everyone's finished eating and watching tv, roll about the lounge do zoomies, lay by the heater, loo, and then bed.

Mine are up with the sun. They have a nap mid morning and mid arvo but only for a hour or so each time. Then I'm usually up once a night to let them out.

They are very active :(

:laugh: Sounds like you need some greyhounds Aussie. I have a t-shirt that says "Adopt a greyhound...lose a couch" :)

My border collies are pretty lazy. They eat breakfast at about 7.00am and then play wrestle for a while, sleep until lunch time, eat and sleep again until dinner. Sleep after dinner and for the rest of the night!!

If I am out and doing stuff they would keep going 24/7 though. They have a good 'off' switch!

If one of the cats is outside Amber will follow them around and be 'busy'. They are both very alert though even when they appear to be sleeping and are off running if they hear something that needs investigating.

Today we slept in til 10 after going to bed at 12am. Dogs didn't get up til then. When I had a nap at 2.30 because I had a headache, Bundy slept with me and we didn't wake up til 5. He got up and went to sleep in front of the heater and still is. Sleeping is an olympic sport. However if i want an action packed day, he'll be there helping me.

Is 23.5 hrs a day too much lol, if Raspa had her way she would sleep the day (and night) away and due to a foot injury and being in plaster (me not her) she is not getting any exercise or stimulation so the only thing she can do is sleep. Poor baby

Mine are up with the sun. They have a nap mid morning and mid arvo but only for a hour or so each time. Then I'm usually up once a night to let them out.

They are very active :(

:laugh: Sounds like you need some greyhounds Aussie. I have a t-shirt that says "Adopt a greyhound...lose a couch" :)

I've already told my OH that we're getting a greyhound next :laugh: