Not A Dog Question

sydneygirl

Sorry I know this is a dog forum but we don't know where else to go and thought someone might be able to point us in the right direction.

We have a possum living in the roof and would like to relocate it's bedroom to a tree in our yard. We would be happy to get it to live in a nest box in our large tree. We do have a trap and are hoping to trap it so we can fix where it's getting in the roof.

Can anyone suggest anyone that could help us with the nest box and maybe some tips to help make the move not too stressful.

Thanks.

Oh we are in Sydney.

If you don't want to build one yourself, just buy a large parrot nestbox from a pet or produce store. You may need to weatherproof it if it's just chipboard - some thin tin or corrugated iron should do it. If you are able to get into the ceiling space, put it near to where the possum is sleeping. If it doesn't go into it of it's own accord, the box will at least take on its odour. If it does go into the box to sleep, you can just cover over the hole and relocate possum and box at the same time. The box will already be familiar to it, so it will be more accepting of it. If it doesn't go into the box, set the trap. Once you have the possum in the trap, make sure you mend the hole that it is gaining access to your roof through. Don't just use chicken wire, they can get through that.

Take the trap to the box, put the door up against the entry hole and stand back. Do this during daylight hours so that it goes straight into the box, If you let it out at night, it won't stay in the box and may not return to it.

Good luck

ETA - you may need to check with Parks and Wildlife about whether you need a licence to trap the possum yourself. They probably also have restrictions about how far away it can be released. Possums are very territorial, so you can't take it more than about 50 metres away from where you catch it, or you will be releasing it into someone else's territory and there will be huge fights.

Edited by j

when I worked in sydney rescue, we had a guy we refered people too, he would catch the possum, mend the roof and install a possum box in nearby tree , he charged a fee , but people were always happy with him , I can see if I still have the number if you like

when I worked in sydney rescue, we had a guy we refered people too, he would catch the possum, mend the roof and install a possum box in nearby tree , he charged a fee , but people were always happy with him , I can see if I still have the number if you like

Hi, can you PM his details...i have a friend with the same problem

Thanks for all the suggestions !!!!

Can you please send the details to me if you can find them. I think that would be the way to go for us !!

Thanks again all !

Thanks for all the suggestions !!!!

Can you please send the details to me if you can find them. I think that would be the way to go for us !!

Thanks again all !

pm sent, I don't know if he still does it, so I also gave u syd wildlifes number, they may know another that does it, I have been out of wildlife rescue for a few years now