Lure Coursing

janisw

Does anyone do this. :o I think it would be a great excercise option for my girl yet im afraid she might go to far & chase any little thing that runs off if she is in a habit of doing this .

Never seen it before & I want to have a go but im not 100% . my local club is having a lure course day this coming weekend. I would really like to know what others have found with their dogs doing this, if they chase all & sundry if given the oppertunity or they are happy to leave alone at home & out & about . :confused:

Thanks KHM, I guess 1 go at it wont make her a little chaser anymore then what they are anyway. She is so fit & active I cant keep up So i need something to help burn some energy. :)

A lure is a bit different to any little thing... Dogs know the difference.

My dog loved lure coursing - and it hasn't made her more likely to chase other things. Being a farm dog bitsa herding breed - she's inclined to chase things anyway but not so interested in actually catching them. It's something we're always working on.

Will the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club be running it for your club day? If so the lure will probably be a plastic shopping bag. It didn't make my dogs more inclined to chase things, but it did make them more keen and focussed once they saw rabbits running. It is lovely to see dogs really enjoying an activity and not just as a trained reward or motivator response but total fun.

Edit to add - some lure coursing shots on the website in my sig, they are a bit old but give some idea.

Edited by PossumCorner

I've only done it once so far.

But my girl's prey drive hasn't changed.

If anything I was a little dissapointed with how she went.

I thought she would have been a lot hotter on the chase.

She's unfortunately got the better of some of my inlaws stupider chickens.

It's a different story when we see a roo while sledding in the forest.

Luckily my girl seems to be very dim when it comes to chasing things on the trail.

Shes just runs really really hard on the track, but has never tried to venture off into the trees.

If only there were roos at every race we'd kick some butt :laugh:

The road kill sounds like an awesome idea :o

I know she's chase that, especially if she were even slightly hungry :laugh:

ewwww no! we dont have the whole carcass dragging along :laugh: Just maybe a fox tail or a bit of bunny skin. I have visions of mangled foxes bouncing along the ground leaving a trail of bits falling off. :laugh:

Here, this is what we have.

7738028530_3d13e9b791.jpg

IMG_2058dpp1 t by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

Pretty sure using dead animals for lure coursing is not ok (illegal?). So is using live animals but that's obvious.

Ours uses a ball of dead tee-shirts and fake fur wrapped around something like a tight carpet roll or door stop thingy. It's not quite a carpet covered brick - but it's solid like that with tassly bits (tee shirt tassles).

I did LC with Solly (who has passed away), and LOVED it. Great fun! Stella did not have drive at all:) In October will take Argo The Puppy to his first run. He has drive!

Any smell-baiting is totally prohibited and leads to disqualification.

Thanks everyone. This girl of mine will run for hours if you let her. she has so much energy hence my reason for trying this out. I think i will give it a go.

I dont know who is running it for our club or if they are doing it themselves but its $10 a run for a trail to see how it goes. $10 covers insurance & if we want extra runs its $2 per run. I think I will do 2 runs & see how she goes. Worst that can happen is she is knackerd for the day YAY.

Your in Vic so if your not too far from Kcc park then go to the ridgeback club of Vic website n sign up for the lure coursing emails they have lure coursing once every few weeks inside the large off lead pen. It's 1 dog at a time (unless u own more then one n want ur guys to run together or with a friend) its 1 gold coin (or $2 - I can't remember) per run n they rotate all dogs so u get a break between runs. I have mini foxies n shepherds n they all love it it's great exercise n great fun for dog n owner. Highly recommend u try it out n at the cost of $2 max it's def worth a try!!!!

Pretty sure using dead animals for lure coursing is not ok (illegal?). So is using live animals but that's obvious.

Ours uses a ball of dead tee-shirts and fake fur wrapped around something like a tight carpet roll or door stop thingy. It's not quite a carpet covered brick - but it's solid like that with tassly bits (tee shirt tassles).

Can provide the details? I was involved with the greyhound industry until fairly recently and the track manager told me they are only allowed to use cured skins for training, not fresh killed, or, obviously live animals. The reason they must be cured is to prove the animal was not alive when first attached to the lure. That is my understanding.

Often the lure we use is a piece of rag that has been stored with fox and bunny skins in a bag. The day that photo was taken with just the fox tail as the lure, initially started the day with a piece of old rag, but it got wet and made the lure go too slowly so we had to lighten the load, so just tied the fox tail on.

Edited by Kirislin

The reason they must be cured is to prove the animal was not alive when first attached to the lure.

I found a lot of stuff about not using live animals or something about blooding, ie allowing a dog to chase and kill a lure animal (my phrasing of it).

So I imagine if you tied a whole carcass (or even something that started out whole and got a bit shredded) to the lure rope - it would be hard to prove it wasn't killed after it was attached. It would be really messy from a purely practical sense - I'm pretty sure my evil hound would have to stop and clean up the mess on the return journey...

So the cured skins bit makes sense. I'm pretty sure fox tails, bits of sheep skin, or rabbit skin is ok - but I'm not sure I'd want to use sheep skin just in case the evil hound got the wrong idea about it. My ugg boots are in enough trouble already.

Ps the relevant stuff is in the animal welfare acts or prevention of cruelty acts in various states.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Tess loved her lure coursing today.she had 2 runs & was litraly being held back by my arms around her neck to stop her going while she was in the waiting pen. Ridgeback club ran this today for our club & I am already booking in for their days in Melb. I will make the 2 hour treck for this. My girl loved it.

They used plastic shopping bags as lures today & works fine. So awesome. Cant wait to see the pics that were taken today . I am ordering mine . :)

Huge THANKYOU to Ridgeback club of Vic for doing this . :thumbsup: