Council Registration Laws

G.S.P.S/K

Just wanted to know what people think about this and at what age most people's local councils expect dogs to be desexed? My council specifies that a dog must be regeistered and desexed by 3 months old. Most vets recommenend desexing at around 6 months old. I havent yet registered my pup becasue he's not desexed. Only problem is my council have been advertising that they will be conducting a door-knock over the next 2 months to check up on unregistered animals...and you could face fines...

If most vets recommend desexing at 6 months why do councils have this rule? I just hope they dont come to my house prior to my pup's desexing which incidently is booked in and only a couple of weeks away...

Ah, here we go. Another desexing age debate!

Most vets don't recommend desexing at 6 months. Some vets do. Apparently yours is one of them, this doesn't make them most vets.

Desexing pups at 3 months isn't necessarily bad for them (sweeping generalisation). I know people who want to use dogs for guarding/protection etc prefer to leave for 12 months or longer, but a standard pet dog isn't harmed by desexing at 3 months.

:flame:

Same with pounds or rescues selling desexed dogs no matter what. Blanket idiotism I'd call it. Desexing increases risk of osteosarcoma and other problems. Owners should have right to decide which risk to take ... at least some sense could be applied.

Its easier if the puppy is yours and is not desexed forcefully, you can do it later andjust pay higher registration. I did not have that choice :( not happy.

Same with pounds or rescues selling desexed dogs no matter what. Blanket idiotism I'd call it. Desexing increases risk of osteosarcoma and other problems. Owners should have right to decide which risk to take ... at least some sense could be applied.

Its easier if the puppy is yours and is not desexed forcefully, you can do it later andjust pay higher registration. I did not have that choice :( not happy.

Are you saying that pounds and rescues should NOT desex before re-homing :eek: ????? You cannot be serious !!!

Some councils enforce desexing now Katrinka, so the OP may not have a choice.

I don't agree with desexing so young, unless from a shelter. I also don't agree with compulsory desexing.

Unfortunately a lot of councils have no clue about what is good for dogs, they just want them all neutured asap.

If I was you I would contact them and tell them you just aquired a puppy and you will be getting it neutered on such and such a date.

If they are not happy with that you could maybe get your vet to write a letter to the council giving reasons why the dog won't be fixed until 6 months.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else you could do...move?

Are you saying that pounds and rescues should NOT desex before re-homing :eek: ????? You cannot be serious !!!

I am saying, ]at least some sense could be applied. Size, age and the owener's credibility can be taken into account. I'm not for BY breeding, but desexing, say, large breed at 6m instead of 18 is not right.

Most vets don't recommend desexing at 6 months. Some vets do. Apparently yours is one of them, this doesn't make them most vets.

Desexing pups at 3 months isn't necessarily bad for them (sweeping generalisation). I know people who want to use dogs for guarding/protection etc prefer to leave for 12 months or longer, but a standard pet dog isn't harmed by desexing at 3 months.

It is definitely not recommended for giant breeds. I have never come across a vet who would recommend desexing of a giant breed.

To the OP - I'd ring the council - without giving them your details - and say my vet recommends I should only get the dog desexed at 6 months (or whenever). In my council, you pay a higher fee for registering an undesexed dog, but so be it.

Couldn't you just register the dog, pay the extra rego for having an undesexed dog, and then pay less rego next year when the dog is desexed?

Some councils in Vic don't let you do this. If you aren't a registered breeder your dog needs to be desexed at 3 months.

yes he has papers, maybe i should investigate that option.

I suppose I could pay more to register him- but i think it's a lot more. Anyway like i said- he's already booked in to be desexed- it's not far off.

What i think? I think Vic is led by imbeciles.

Where I am you can desex when ever and if ever you want ,and micro chipped it's then free registration for life.

Where are you?

Pet registrations generally fund local laws. I don't know any where it's free - apart from remote shires that have no animal management set up yet.

NSW laws are that you pay a once of registration for life fee. This fee is heavily reduced if you register your pet with proof of sterilisation papers.

If they changed the laws to demand that dogs be desexed by a certain age, unless it was reasonable for ALL dog breeds, there is no way i'd follow the law :mad .

Mastiffs take so long to grow, and there are numerous studies that have proven that desexing your pet prematurely can adversely affect it's long term health. I am just about to be the proud

owner of a mastiff pup next week and unless there is a really serious health or behavioural issue that necessitates him to be neutered, I will not be desexing him until he is at LEAST 18 months old.

That being said, I do believe that the dog and people population would be much better off if more dogs were desexed. Not everyone is responsible enough to control their entire dogs :(

Down here they have to be registered by 3 months, but we have no age for desexing. Some people register then get a refund once desexed, others just pay the higher fee for the first year then take in the desexing info and pay the cheaper rate the next year.

What i think? I think Vic is led by imbeciles.

Where I am you can desex when ever and if ever you want ,and micro chipped it's then free registration for life.

Where are you?

Pet registrations generally fund local laws. I don't know any where it's free - apart from remote shires that have no animal management set up yet.

Cooloola shire, all rate payers fund local animal management laws whether dog owner or not.

entires are 80, desexed is 20, and desexed and microchipped is free.

It is definitely not recommended for giant breeds. I have never come across a vet who would recommend desexing of a giant breed.

To the OP - I'd ring the council - without giving them your details - and say my vet recommends I should only get the dog desexed at 6 months (or whenever). In my council, you pay a higher fee for registering an undesexed dog, but so be it.

+1 was just going to say the age is reflective of the breed, larger breeds tend to benefit much more from being desexed later in life, there is much growth and development that can be compromised otherwise.

But NSW is 6 months and if they are entire is $150 if i remember correctly.

Edited by TheCheekyMonster

Take your papers into the council, not sure which council you are with but most with this rule have an exemption for ANKC registered dogs, some also give a discount for rego for papered dogs too. Some councils ask for proof of membership but alot just glance at the papers.

http://www.frankston.vic.gov.au/Animals/Desexing_and_Vaccinations/index.aspx

Exemptions are:

Vet with dog

A cat/dog that is the subject of written Veterinary advice that the health of the cat/dog is liable to be significantly prejudiced if it is desexed

A Dangerous Dog that is kept for guarding non residential premises

A Dangerous Dog that has under gone protection training

A cat/dog that is owned by a person or body that conducts a domestic animal business registered with Council. Where the cat/dog is used for breeding purposes in connection with that business. (Frankston does not have any registered breeding establishments)

If a dog or a cat owner is a registered member and the dog or cat has a registered pedigree certificate the dog or cat is exempt from desexing - applicable organisations are as follows (proof is always required - membership card and pedigree certificate)