Guide Dog Killed

SkySoaringMagpie

If only the government would support registered breeders and implement a law against unregistered and back yard breeding....in a perfect world hey :(

Everytime I read a heading in here about a dog attack, I always find it disappointing and find myself shaking my head at so many ludicrous comments :(

What a tragic series of events :( two very innocent dogs pay the price for HUMAN stupidity !!!!

Pit Bulls and Bull x breeds need to be wiped out, sorry to say I used to argue till I was blue in the face with people about "blame the deed not the breed" but there comes a time when you throw your hands up in the air and admit defeat :(

I 100% agree that these breeds can be loyal and loving companions in the right responsible home, but in the wrong hands, a very head strong and high drive breed can be devastating .....society today is just not equipped nor educated enough to deal with these breeds anymore :( the irresponsible unfortunately outweigh the responsible ...

RIP Sweet Maggie, a sad end to your truly amazing and selfless life :hug:

Fingers crossed for Bosley xxxxxxxxxxxx

Pockets, you are entitled to your views in regards to the breed but if you read the paper I have linked above you will find that all attempts to ever wipe them out have resulted in no improvements in dog attacks - in Australia or the whole world. Areas that have used legislative framework such as proposed in the paper have seen a marked decrease in incidents like this one without focusing on breed.

We are all entitled to our opinions and we all have breeds that we like and don't like, and the most important thing is we all despair when we hear about these incidents happening. Our hearts break for all the victims, human and canine.

Because our hearts break and we want to see this end, we need to look to what is PROVEN to work, not continue to push what is PROVEN ineffective.

If we want to see these sorts of attacks on the decrease we need to all support documents such as this paper and bring it to the attention of the policy makers in our areas.

Incidents like this should NEVER happen, and it is sickening that our policy makers ignore proven solutions and pursue 'popular' legislation that doesn't work.

They'll never wipe them out mate, regardless if what you say is 100% true. It just doesn't work. So lets push the real solutions and move towards a day where these sorts of incidents are few and far between.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I personally don't like the Pit Bull Breed or any cross bull breed for that matter, however I don't like many breeds and that's solely because they would not be suitable for me to own for various reasons. Nothing to do with events such as these :)

This even comes after a bull breed x attacked my brothers GSD pup, ripping him in the throat and pinning him to the ground screaming...

Or the Bull Breed crosses that pulled my in laws boxer through the fence and tore his face and leg to shreds causing him to almost bleed to death, and ending up with an amputating to his front leg :(

Or the other time a work collegues Bull Breed attacked and mauled its own mate, resulting in a leg amputation and intensive care...

So as much as you want to throw statistics around about reported dog attacks and death...neither of the above incidences were reported in the media, so statistics ad far as that's concerned mean nothing as there would be many many attacks that go unreported by the media ....

Again, i am not anti any breed..... :)

Those events sound horrible, and inexcusable, and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do after all that. Not one bit.

But the paper isn't based on media reports (and I dare say if it was things would look a lot MORE dire for the breed), it's based on actual reported attacks to the authorities and also accounts for non reported attacks.

It also covers the areas of the world who have implemented legislation based on the other factors that are much more consistent than breed in attacks. These areas have seen a marked increase in bull breeds but because of the great legislation and education they have seen a drastic reduction in attacks.

Like I said, I don't blame you for feeling the way you do emotionally, but do you really think we should make policy based on emotion as opposed to facts? Breed specific ordinances are 100% proven to be a complete failure in reducing dog attacks. They don't even reduce them a little bit. Non-breed specific legislation aimed at education, enforcement and targeting both dangerous dogs and potentially dangerous dogs is 100% proven to work.

If you truly want to see these incidents reduce you need to focus on head over heart in this one, as that's the only way to get the outcome you (and all of us) desire.

There will never be a solution no matter which way the cookie crumbles :(

But that's the thing... there is! It's been done and is successful elsewhere. There will never be a solution in Australia while we cling to outdated ideas and policy that is not based on facts and science.

Just disgusting. That poor young man has lost so much more than his best friend and faithful companion. His brother will never forgive himself for making the decision to take the dog for a walk.

These dogs should be euthed and the owner should face a very very hefty fine. Until the laws we have in place are policed correctly things like this will keep happening.

The problem with large strong breeds is they attract idiots, the other problem is when allowed to get into a stituation such as this the damage is far more devisating than if they were smaller or less powerful.

Everytime I read a heading in here about a dog attack, I always find it disappointing and find myself shaking my head at so many ludicrous comments :(

What a tragic series of events :( two very innocent dogs pay the price for HUMAN stupidity !!!!

Pit Bulls and Bull x breeds need to be wiped out, sorry to say I used to argue till I was blue in the face with people about "blame the deed not the breed" but there comes a time when you throw your hands up in the air and admit defeat :(

I 100% agree that these breeds can be loyal and loving companions in the right responsible home, but in the wrong hands, a very head strong and high drive breed can be devastating .....society today is just not equipped nor educated enough to deal with these breeds anymore :( the irresponsible unfortunately outweigh the responsible ...

So my dogs don't have a right to live in your eyes because some other idiots can't look after their animals properly? What a silly comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't just say this. For the sake of the vulnerable in our society a solution must be found.

I agree with others that BSL is ridiculous.

You can't just say this. For the sake of the vulnerable in our society a solution must be found.

I agree, and also will stress that is has been found. Our Governments just ignore it as it won't be popular and will take work to implement. An absolute crime.

If it's correct that the dogs were declared dangerous, and they were out in the streets offleash attacking people and other dogs with owners nearby who "rounded them up" after the attack, then there is no need for new laws - just enforce the existing ones and throw the book at the owners of the dogs.

I agree, and also will stress that is has been found. Our Governments just ignore it as it won't be popular and will take work to implement. An absolute crime.

I have just read the article you recommended and I have problems with some of it

Effective identification and registration of all dogs

A national reporting system to track dog bite incidents consistently with mandatory reporting of dog bite incidents to the national database

Temperament testing encouraged by reduced registration costs, and able to be mandated by animal control authorities

Education of the whole community including pet owners, breeders, parents and children

Adequate enforcement and resourcing to ensure compliance.

Number 2 - Is a playful nip a reportable incident

Number 3 - Temperament testing is still in its developmental stage and I would hate to see a dog's life hanging on the outcome

So my dogs don't have a right to live in your eyes because some other idiots can't look after their animals properly? What a silly comment.

I can understand where Pockets is coming from.I was there too last nite after seeing this trivialised you wonder ...But bottom line is still we need education and enforcement of laws that do make a difference regardless. Even if B.S.L worked,the problems will remain with other dogs of all sizes and types owned by irresponsible owners who can't recognise their dogs potential to do harm,or their responsibility to avoid it.

As for the govt. outlawing backyard and unregistered breeders,that would 1st require breed registries to move with the times,accept that cross breeds will always be in demand and creating some thing like appendix registries to cater for that in a responsible way.Would also deflect a lot of critcism of elitism and fallout from P.D.E.since they could argue they have "controll groups" to measure effectiveness of breeding practices.

Edited by moosmum

I am sorry that you think my post is silly how dare I have an opinion or differing thoughts :(

The problems when you get a debate/discussion happening like this is people like yourself take posts personally and therefore your resulting comments are just insults, for instance saying my comment is "silly"

Unfairly and Unfortunately the Government is under constant pressure to "implement change and get results" and the people making the decisions are uneducated and unknowledgable...they don't care about the good examples of the breed in caring and responsible homes :(

Edited by Pockets

I have just read the article you recommended and I have problems with some of it

A national reporting system to track dog bite incidents consistently with mandatory reporting of dog bite incidents to the national database

Temperament testing encouraged by reduced registration costs, and able to be mandated by animal control authorities

Education of the whole community including pet owners, breeders, parents and children

Number 3 - Temperament testing is still in its developmental stage and I would hate to see a dog's life hanging on the outcome

I'm assuming you just read the briefing? If you can take the time to read the actual report (it's 47 pages, I know) then it elaborates hugely on this and your concerns are addressed.

Yeah BSL works, where ever in the world, lol, when are the clowns going to wake up and realise a living breathing entity can't be prohibited or restricted any more than a non entity anything.

wankers.

Someones guide dog was ripped apart by a non restricted race of dog last year too, not scared into a road.

f***headmedia and sheeple followers.

Get a clue peeps, not directed at Dolers but anonymous guest tosspots trawling.

I'm assuming you just read the briefing? If you can take the time to read the actual report (it's 47 pages, I know) then it elaborates hugely on this and your concerns are addressed.

Sorry I don't have time at the moment. A summary might be useful if you want the article discussed on this thread

Sorry I don't have time at the moment. A summary might be useful if you want the article discussed on this thread

Well, the summary is what you read. If you're concerned by those points maybe have a skim and a read of just those areas, do a search of the PDF for the terms used. I can't really summarise in-depth statistical analysis and model legislative framework.

Guest lavendergirl

Yes - because thats pretty well how our society works. Laws are made to cater for the lowest common denominator and the rest of us have to wear the results.

RIP Matilda -a horrid way to go.

I am sorry that you think my post is silly how dare I have an opinion or differing thoughts :(

The problems when you get a debate/discussion happening like this is people like yourself take posts personally and therefore your resulting comments are just insults, for instance saying my comment is "silly"

Unfairly and Unfortunately the Government is under constant pressure to "implement change and get results" and the people making the decisions are uneducated and unknowledgable...they don't care about the good examples of the breed in caring and responsible homes :(

So that was a yes or a no? calling your comment silly wasn't as insult. I could have said something much more colorful but though I had best keep it nice. And of course I am going to take it personally. When you have people making comments such as all pit bulls and bull breeds should be wiped out, why wouldn't I? These are mine and many other peoples pets around the world we are taking about, not some common pest.

Yes - because thats pretty well how our society works. Laws are made to cater for the lowest common denominator and the rest of us have to wear the results.

But you can see that comments like "they should be wiped out" aren't useful, don't impart any knowledge and don't constructively help anyone. ANY head strong dog (all breeds) with a high prey drive can be an issue in the wrong hands, regardless of size.

FYI twice this week I've had an off lead GR run at me and my dogs, sure i wasn't worried but they came over to my dogs (on lead) to ponce around them and posture... Oblivious owner couldn't care that my 2 though not DA do not like other dogs putting their heads over them..

SO here's why nothing occurred: I have years of knowing my dogs, other breeds, triggers etc.. and this is what it takes to be an owner of any breed. Education for me started with my parents teaching me dogs behaviors, training classes etc.. which i'm now teaching my daughters.

Could something have occurred..?? you bet and without training my dogs, myself and knowing a little about dogs in general helps. BSL doesn't.

Just moving away from the devastating 'accident' that occurred, WHY was the 'guide dog' being walked with another dog in the first place this is highly irregular :( and yes had the owner of the dog been with it he also may have been more seriously injured etc). But the fact remains that when Guide dogs are 'off duty' with their owner they are usually free to move around the owners property but usually stay within close contact at all times. I may be wrong but I know in my own service dogs case NO one can just take him for a walk as such let alone with another pet dog. Most guide dogs do so much 'walking' in course of their work they don't need to go out for 'walkies'

I feel very sorry for this unfortuneate situation, which ultimately came about due to a whole set of dynamics. :mad

There are laws in place to prevent things like this occurring but some in society don't seem to be following them and the ones who do still get penalised. So it harks back to the same old thing 'Don't blame the animal, blame the owner'.

But you can see that comments like "they should be wiped out" aren't useful, don't impart any knowledge and don't constructively help anyone. ANY head strong dog (all breeds) with a high prey drive can be an issue in the wrong hands, regardless of size.

FYI twice this week I've had an off lead GR run at me and my dogs, sure i wasn't worried but they came over to my dogs (on lead) to ponce around them and posture... Oblivious owner couldn't care that my 2 though not DA do not like other dogs putting their heads over them..

SO here's why nothing occurred: I have years of knowing my dogs, other breeds, triggers etc.. and this is what it takes to be an owner of any breed. Education for me started with my parents teaching me dogs behaviors, training classes etc.. which i'm now teaching my daughters.

Could something have occurred..?? you bet and without training my dogs, myself and knowing a little about dogs in general helps. BSL doesn't.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/dog-breaks-collar-attacks-woman/story-e6frea83-1226422663719

How do you educate morons like this? How do you stop morons like him owning strong powerful breeds?

Some people don't wish to be educated.

Edited by Puppoochi