Puppy Farm Raided

korbin13

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/08/10/522251_latest-news.html

SIXTY dogs and a menagerie of other badly treated animals have been saved from misery following an RSPCA raid in Gippsland.

Inspectors swooped on the puppy farm to find one of Victoria's worst cases of neglect, the Herald Sun reports.

Senior inspector Simon Primrose said mostly small dogs used for breeding had been confined to tiny cages that had not been cleaned for months.

More than 30 skinny terriers and spaniels were locked in filthy outdoor pens. There was worse to come when officers entered the house to find another 20 distressed dogs in cages without fresh air or light.

"It was disgusting and appalling and our vet said it was the worst case of neglect he has seen," Mr Primrose said.

The owner of the property, who has not been named, faces multiple charges of animal cruelty.

She did not live at the premises and visited only once in five days or so, Mr Primrose said.

The officers seized 60 dogs, including a bitch with one-day-old pups.

They also rescued eight cats, five guinea pigs, a budgie and a pony with a severely infected leg.

The animals were taken to RSPCA Peninsula where they will be vetted, treated, cleaned and, hopefully, found new homes.

"It's most likely they will require extensive rehabilitation due to their lack of human contact and social stimulation," Mr Primrose said.

He said the raid sent a stern warning to anyone breeding pets for profit.

"With increasing community awareness of puppy factories, there will be a steady decline in the numbers who are willing to buy from pet shops or online operators for fear they source their puppies from puppy factories," he said.

"This will lead to more of these businesses closing down and we encourage the operators of puppy factories who close their businesses or stop selling to seek support to rehome their animals."

Under changes to the Domestic Animals Act in January, offenders face fines up to $69,000 or two years' jail and may be banned from owning animals for 10 years.

Why aren't these people named? Other people who commit lesser crimes can be named?

Won't the name of the puppy farmer be made public when charges are actually laid and the matter will come before the courts? The seizure of dogs is part of the investigation when vet assessments are made to provide evidence to then lay charges. Then the media will name the persons charged (I'd expect).???

Last bit says there are penalties provided for, in the particular law....when the matter has been heard by a court.

I know from the puppy farm raids done by RSPCA Q'ld that there's a strict legal process which has to be followed after dogs are seized from these places. If one part of the process is not adhered to, then the entire case can fall apart. I've heard it described as 'walking on eggshells', until a court hearing finally states that the RSPCA can have full legal possession (hopefully). Long time back, some legal technicality led to a court ordering seized dogs (in awful condition) be returned to the puppy farmer. Fortunately, out-of-court negotiations between RSPCA & puppy farmer, led to that farmer signing over the dogs so they stayed safely in foster-care. I had close friends who used to foster those cases.

I donate to the RSPCA Q'ld & will continue to do so.

Edited by mita

There is a whisper this is a purebred breeder - notice it said terriers and spaniels. Either way thank God they found them and helped the animals.

ANKC registered Steve? Puppy farmers have always abused purebred dogs.

theres several people down this way that are ANKC registered but unfortunately also breed designer dogs to make some money on the side and im hoping its one lady that had a huge farm and had about 500 breeding dogs and approval from the local council down there. the person was chucked out of VCA but managed to come back in somehow but this was several years ago. most of the farms are from Wellington shire area unfortunately. There is one that use to breed cavs. the terriers i don't know what breed that would be as i know they also have designer breeds with the pedigrees and have done for years and years. They have several breeds and all sorts and went into cats as well i heard. advertise regularly in the papers. 60 dogs would be a drop in the ocean for this person. I've seen their dogs as someone brought a dog around many years ago and the poor dog had that much wrong with it, it wasn't funny, long unclipped nails, very unsound, jaw protruding with rotten teeth, freshly bought from this place. I am hoping beyond hope it is this person and maybe this raid will make them shut up shop for good.

there are alot of farms down in gippsland so it could be any one of those. gippsland is puppy farm central as the council supports them. the only council that does. they see it as a money making venture. spoken to many councillors over many years and know their views on all of this unfortunately.

Edited by toy*dog

I would like to know where in Gippsland this happened. :mad

would be in the wellington shire area, gippsland is a big place. there is also some in the neighboring shire of latrobe valley not as many as in wellington shire though.