Cruciate Injury

Clemevi

Hi

My friend has a 7 mth old Lab puppy who is limping and been on anti inflamatories to see if it gets better.

She has been told it may be her cruciate, is she too young for a cruciate injury or is it common in young pups? I had never had it so thought I would ask the experts :D

Thanks

1344596113[/url]' post='5925653']

Hi

My friend has a 7 mth old Lab puppy who is limping and been on anti inflamatories to see if it gets better.

She has been told it may be her cruciate, is she too young for a cruciate injury or is it common in young pups? I had never had it so thought I would ask the experts :D

Thanks

Not sure sorry but I have my aunts lab going in for surgery on her cruciate at the end I the month, she is nearly 5. I would say make sure the vet who is suggesting it might be cruciate does all the tests X-ray etc to determine before rulling out other possibilities.

1344596113[/url]' post='5925653']

Hi

Thanks

That is very young, and Labs also have a tendency to OCD, so I would definitely investigate further.

I remember a 9 month old Boxer who had completely ruptured his cruciate a few months before and it had been misdiagnosed at the time. By the time they found a vet that worked out what was going on the growth plate had been damaged as well. So yes, they can do a cruciate at any age.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replys!

Hi Clemevi,

I month ago my vet "thought' my 4 yr old BC had Cruciate Ligament Injury. I didn't have x-ray done as Ii found out the reason why they like to give them Anesthetic is because they do the "Draw Test" & it does hurt them. X-rays do show other things like Arthritis & bones. After many soul searching for my boy I did take him back for a check-up & had him on Metacam chewables for 2 weeks as he was holding his back leg up. I also put him on 2 fishoil capsules a day & He was restricted to a small pen I made in the yard. But that was well after 3 weeks of complete crate rest & leashed short toilet trips. I also had to put a ramp on my 4 back steps for him, Everything was a go slow for 3weeks. Mind you my boy is a VERY active boy just like a big puppy. He knew in himself he had to rest.. He continued on Metacam chewables for another 2 weeks but I slowly pulled back on them as he was getting stronger. Mind you my vet wanted $ to give him a pain injection I also put a warm wheat pack on his knee with a blanket over him. It actually pacifiied him. I did some massaging on all legs so he wouldn't favour the bad leg. But make sure you learn how to massage properly 1st & gentle. I now have some 'ODZON' Embrocation. it is used for horses & greyhounds. great stuff & he is no longer on Metacam & currently stronger on his leg & doing well. But on saying all the above I had to seriously stick to Rest for 1 month for him, but on saying that, this is just his good outcome. It will be different for every dog. It really comes down to complete crate rest or confined small area with leashed always on leash for toilet trips. we only had two setbacks with a yelp because he is so active. They can "Appear Strong" but not ready yet. you have to guage on you own observations. I went for "Conservative Management". I didn't rush in to vets as they are not always your friend.Also heres a great link I was put on to. http://pets.groups.y...tiveManagement/

Edited by Angel3

Dogs can get actue cruciate rupture from traumatic injury, which is what we typically see in younger and small breed dogs. The dog will go from being fine to being quite lame (often non weight bearing) very quickly.

Is there a history of acute injury for the lab pup?

Dogs can also get chronic cruciate weakening which eventually ruptures but typically the dogs are older as time is needed for thr cruciate to weaken over time. The clinical signs are often more gradual in these cases too.