Dobermann Puppy With Docked Tail Surrendered

erinonthefarm

Hi all, been absent for a while, but thought Id ask around regarding a docked 6 month old black and tan Dobe which turned up in Alice Springs. The story I've heard goes that a elderly lady bought a puppy of someone interstate, when she went to pick up the puppy there were 2 puppies in the crate?!

She kept both for a while but then as they weren't getting on as they came into adolescence she surrendered one.

I think the story sounds like BS but I wonder as the puppy had a docked tail it is either a NZ import or a dodgy back yard job. There aren't many dobes (especially with docked tails) in Alice Springs. Do many people dock illegally in Australia?

I know loads of people don't tell breeders when they can't handle the dog anymore and try to quietly get rid of it, but if it were one of my pups I would want to know, althought the puppy was adopted very quickly.

The registered ones are registered as having been born in NZ and imported. There are possibly still some BYBs docking without even knowing or caring that it is illegal but Dobes are not common as pets so you don't see many around.

If you can post a picture a dobe breeder should be able to tell if the conformation and tail look like an imported dog or a byb dog.

I don't think any Australian breeders are risking docking these days unless the bitch is sent to NZ to whelp but I'm only a pet owner so don't take my word for it!