Help/advice Needed - Paralysis Tick, He's In Intensive Care

Grove_burger

Well, my King Charles, Melton, is at the vets in critical care been treated for tick paralysis. It caught us out this year!! Normally the dogs get clipped and treated but over winter I put them on Comfortis instead of Frontline Plus since I was interested in the new fle treatment and it wasn't suppose to be tick season. Also, I will point out that we live in part of Brisbane which doesn't have a high infestation rate of ticks and they haven't been out for walks this week as I'd been in hospital.

Anyway, Friday 3pm we rushed Melton off to hospital when my OH found him in the back yard unable to walk.

He has been at the vets now for approx 51 hours and is still in critical care. He has a tube down his throat to get oxygen into his lungs as he cannot maintain his oxygen levels breathing without assistance. He also has to get a LOT of fluid sucked out of his respiratory system which is partly regurgitation (sp?). He is on two types of antibiotics due to potential of aspirated pneumonia. There is no immediate plan at this stage to remove the tube that is helping him maintain his oxygen levels.

The vet has him classified as a 'guarded prognosis' but still reckons that it is worth persisting.

I'm just wondering at what point should we be weighing up the terrible alternative? What signs should we be waiting for?

I have spoken to the vet/s a lot and he is the best of care but I just don't know what to expect???

I would really appreciate some advice/feeback/thoughts/anything!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Oh my gosh you poor thing, and poor little Melton :cry:

I don't have any advice as such but I live in Brisbane and would love to know what area you guys are in so as I can be more weary. I'm in Morningside and only flea/tick treat mine (with frontline plus) every few months in winter, i'm wondering if I should be more vigilant :eek:

How early! All I can say, My Stella had a very bad paralysis, that is total, was on breathing machine for 2 days and then on oxygen for 2, had bad pneumonia, and she is 10. She eventualy got out and as good as always today. So dont give up, though there is a chance of sad outcome..:( And she had 2 doses of anti-serum.

Stella has sore legs and she often doesn't go anywhere at all, just 100m down the street and then back, all on footpath. The tick or bite spot was never found. Go figure... you don't need to go bush to catch it.

Edited by Katrinka

I don't have any advice as such but I live in Brisbane and would love to know what area you guys are in so as I can be more weary. I'm in Morningside and only flea/tick treat mine (with frontline plus) every few months in winter, i'm wondering if I should be more vigilant :eek:

We're in Wynnum so almost neighbours, so definitely start treatment! Melton is at Manly Road vet hospital and he's not the first case they have seen this winter but a bad case because of his complications :( .

Guest donatella

We're in Wynnum so almost neighbours, so definitely start treatment! Melton is at Manly Road vet hospital and he's not the first case they have seen this winter but a bad case because of his complications :( .

:eek: You are close!

I put some on her only a week ago when I started letting her play in the garden more frequently, will definitely be keeping up to date with my treatments after your story.

You poor poor thing, this is everyones worst nightmare, I hope the little guy pulls through :heart: :heart:

Guest lavendergirl

So sorry - will be thinking of Melton and hoping he rallies. I am in Brisbane too and have not been using the Frontline over winter - will get back on it now.

I am out near Jimboomba and the vet said when I had Harley in for his shots that they have had at least one paralysis tick case per week. I thought it wasn't tick season so hadn't used anything. They have the collars back on now though.

Hopefully you have caught it in time and you pooch makes a full recovery!

Grove burger don't give up on Melton yet, we live in the mountains near Rocky and it has never been a tick area, let alone a paralysis tick area, but apparently all the rain that Qld has had in the last year, has the paralysis tick popping up in places that once were safe. One of my dogs earlier this year was in hospital for 4 days on a drip and they would not let her home until her gag reflex had returned. She recovered well, but we are now aware of the ticks and go over the dogs constantly. We also have an abundance of bandicoots around the area which are paralysis tick hosts.

Sending Melton healing thoughts.

You poor thing! Hoping for a speedy recovery for Melton!

It is difficult to tell with tick paralysis cases. Especially when they get to the stage where intubation and mechanical ventilation is required. Unfortunately, for a lot of people the treatment/supportive therapy becomes cost prohibitive and they just can't afford to continue.

However, if you are able and willing to keep going, I know of dogs that required days of mechanical ventilation and intensive care that have made a complete recovery.

Ticks have been bad all year here, hate to say it but Cavi's,pugs etc generally are no good when they get ticks their survival rate is very low .....Here's hoping your boy is one of the lucky ones.I advise everyone to put tick prevention on your pets now as its only going to get worse from here.

A week ago I pulled a paralysis tick from my girl, so lucky I found it before it began feeding, have a look at the size of the crater it left. It was a large tick :(

The hair loss is where the Advantix burnt her a little (we are guessing, the hair fell out within 30min of applying it).

I'd noticed her being a little flat at a show and I'm so lucky she jumped up on my lap for a cuddle. I never would have thought to look for a tick. Seems it was quite painful as she perked right up after it was removed.

Fingers crossed for you, many dogs survive so the odds are in your favour

post-38176-0-27441900-1344766613_thumb.jpg

Sorry if I caused a little confusion, he's not on a ventilator yet but has intubation, tube passing oxygen into respiratory system. Although ventilation still isn't off the table so to speak.

Cost wise, yes it is expensive esp as we didn't have pet insurance but our animals are our kids so we'll just have to make sacrifices to continue as long as we can. It's all based on the prognosis but I would be very disappointed if we could have spent a little and lost him vs spending a lot to still lose him but we're just waiting for something/anything positive!

We went in to see him tonight, he's under a semi sedation not quite full. There is an awful lot of fluid that has been suckered out of him :(

*hugs* my 11 yr old sheltie had a tick last year, his breathing was that bad that I thought I was going to loose him on the drive to the vet which was 20 min away.. He's pulled up damn well.. A little wonky in his back legs and he could never run agility again but he was alive and happy!

So try and stay positive I think he ended up in the vet for about 3-4 days but anything is possible!!

It was a rather costly excerscie but you do what you have to! Close to $1200 later my boy was out.. sadly per insurance was not an option as he was simply "too old" by their books

Thinking of you guys hope your boy heals up