Pound Rounds?

Hopefully GAP Vic can help these people. Even though not their problem

It is about making sure people dont lose faith in rescue organisation's which sadly is happening

not only with PR but with cowboy fly by the seat of your pants I think I know better rescue

groups popping up everywhere

What happened to people joining ethical established groups and learning the "right" way to do things

before going out and starting another ethical group

They all just seem to want to make a big name for themselves and collect accolades and money

That's right - sadly these morons are going to ruin the hard won fight to get the general public to consider rescue dogs. It will always be the dogs that lose out in the end.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to people joining ethical established groups and learning the "right" way to do things

The general thinking from these cowboy types is that the ethical established groups aren't doing it fast enough... dogs are dying in the pounds while they wait for ethical groups to "save" them... didn't you know that by now? (tongue firmly in cheek with that last comment)

Does anyone know how the PR process works? Does the new "foster carer" (let's cut through the crap and just call them the new owner, shall we) pay PR any money for the dogs they are given?

What liability does the pound have when placing "reclaim/rescue only" dogs? If that dog goes on to harm humans or other animals, who is legally then at fault? A case could be made by any decent lawyer that the responsibility is that of the council/pound for releasing an animal that had those tendencies - at least that's what PR would assert if legally challenged on that point.

Pounds also have the ability to exercise discretion over who they release animals to - 16D or not. A 16D does not automatically mean that the pound HAS to release animals to a group.

The fact that other established and ethical rescues are increasingly being called upon to help clean up the messes made by PR - not to mention the evidence showing that people are being sent unsuitable animals willy-nilly, often to areas that are not tolerant of the breed types being sent there, and in a few cases ending up with the animals being euthanaised in interstate pounds, etc... kind of indicates that this group is not one the pounds should be wanting to have a close relationship with.

I can see the attraction from the councils for working with PR - lets face it, they are getting a lot of dogs out of the pounds they are using to date - and the councils' "rehoming rate" is looking better... not to mention that they are having to dispose of less animals after euthing them, etc. What attraction is in it for them if they stop releasing animals to groups like PR? If PR are sending large numbers of dogs interstate, by the time problems arise, they are then the responsibility of some other council area, right?

Make no bones about it - PR have obviously thought out their plans/strategy very well, and it's probably going to be extremely hard to slow them down, let alone stop them.

What I don't understand is how they reconcile all the bad things that have happened to date - when they purport to care so much about the fate of animals in pounds. It's almost as if the only goal is to get animals out of a couple of Sydney pounds - with no thought about their fate once out of those pounds... very strange!!

T.

The general thinking from these cowboy types is that the ethical established groups aren't doing it fast enough... dogs are dying in the pounds while they wait for ethical groups to "save" them... didn't you know that by now? (tongue firmly in cheek with that last comment)

Does anyone know how the PR process works? Does the new "foster carer" (let's cut through the crap and just call them the new owner, shall we) pay PR any money for the dogs they are given?

What liability does the pound have when placing "reclaim/rescue only" dogs? If that dog goes on to harm humans or other animals, who is legally then at fault? A case could be made by any decent lawyer that the responsibility is that of the council/pound for releasing an animal that had those tendencies - at least that's what PR would assert if legally challenged on that point.

Pounds also have the ability to exercise discretion over who they release animals to - 16D or not. A 16D does not automatically mean that the pound HAS to release animals to a group.

The fact that other established and ethical rescues are increasingly being called upon to help clean up the messes made by PR - not to mention the evidence showing that people are being sent unsuitable animals willy-nilly, often to areas that are not tolerant of the breed types being sent there, and in a few cases ending up with the animals being euthanaised in interstate pounds, etc... kind of indicates that this group is not one the pounds should be wanting to have a close relationship with.

I can see the attraction from the councils for working with PR - lets face it, they are getting a lot of dogs out of the pounds they are using to date - and the councils' "rehoming rate" is looking better... not to mention that they are having to dispose of less animals after euthing them, etc. What attraction is in it for them if they stop releasing animals to groups like PR? If PR are sending large numbers of dogs interstate, by the time problems arise, they are then the responsibility of some other council area, right?

Make no bones about it - PR have obviously thought out their plans/strategy very well, and it's probably going to be extremely hard to slow them down, let alone stop them.

What I don't understand is how they reconcile all the bad things that have happened to date - when they purport to care so much about the fate of animals in pounds. It's almost as if the only goal is to get animals out of a couple of Sydney pounds - with no thought about their fate once out of those pounds... very strange!!

T.

Spot on T. The Pounds must take on a huge level of responsibility for releasing a dog that is either dog or human aggressive or both and gets sent to God knows where - to inexperienced or dumb owners with inadequate fencing. And then a disaster happens. It doesn't take much to imagine does it?

In today's litigious society, Councils need to be taking a very long, hard look at themselves and their release policies.

Surely the public deserve protection - don't they?

Is this the reason we have no HP thread anymore?

Yes Juice, there is enormous concern for the dogs. PR's copy all photos taken by temp testers to use on their site though delete all temp notes, make up their own story and the dog is pulled by them.

PCC 607 listed as needing a home. The dog is NOT FOR SALE.

When a volunteer posted on PR's page the dog is NFS her comments were deleted. People are donating money for this dog and want to help her.

I expect this page will be deleted once they find out it is here, thank god for screen dumps.

ETA

This page has not been deleted, instead they changed the wording to say RIP instead of AVAILABLE FOR REHOMING NOW. I will try to put up the screen dump. You can see the dog is on a pole.

ETA again!

Edited by Nic.B

Just read some of the comments on FB for the first time.

:(

ETA :eek::cry::mad:confused: as well!

Mange fixed with a couple of baths? Fence jumping?

Amstaffs settle with their new family within hours, it's in the breed?

Edited by Katdogs

If they are not abiding by the 16D then would the person who has proof please report them?

I am not able to comment much on this, though steps have been taken. It appears it is quite a process.

If anyone is able to offer legal advice or has experience with the DLG regarding a clause 16d it would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

Nic.B

ask Kellie at the pound to put you in contact with Beth PCC

If they are not abiding by the 16D then would the person who has proof please report them?

I am not able to comment much on this, though steps have been taken. It appears it is quite a process.

If anyone is able to offer legal advice or has experience with the DLG regarding a clause 16d it would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

Nic.B

ask Kellie at the pound to put you in contact with Beth PCC

[email protected]

Thanks, I know Beth :)

Just read some of the comments on FB for the first time.

:(

ETA :eek::cry::mad:confused: as well!

Mange fixed with a couple of baths? Fence jumping?

Amstaffs settle with their new family within hours, it's in the breed?

Yep, suck people in and spit them out. Save them all at ANY cost.

Our small group does breed rescue....we had one instance where we had our name down on a dog who was still doing it's time so not even for sale as yet...and I found her advertised on PR's page as being in danger and asking for donations WTH!!! :eek: I fronted them on it and they backed away at that time. We got the dog out and adopted to a lovely home who knows the breed.

I'm confused. Is this group simply a misguided, irresponsible "resuce" who wants to save all animals at any cost? or are they actually making some sort of profit from the donations they receive for dogs not even in their care (and are therefore operating some sort of scam)?

Surely if its the latter there are processes by which they could be reported or shut down?

Do rescue groups actually receive any of the donations that PR collects?

I have seen so far two of my dogs on their page asking for donations to save them when they have already been in my care and they have had nothing to do with the saving of these dogs, and no I haven't received any donations. And when I asked about the first one I was blocked from the page.

I believe they think all dogs should be saved which anybody that has done rescue know that this is not true and some dogs the damage is too far gone.

I know at one of the kennels where I have my dogs there was one that was rescued by them and none of the staff were prepared to take it out of the kennel because of its aggression.

That dog has now been moved to another kennel and god help the person that eventually gets it without true knowledge of this dog.

Although it is hard in rescue to make that decision to pts, it has to be done for the good of that dog, for rescue to continue to be trusted and also I can't afford to be sued if I place a dog into a home where it will do damage to a person or child.