Pound Rounds?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read a few too many stories about people having their children bitten by dogs they have sourced from Pound Rounds, it's really clear that the people attracted to PR's incredibly sentimental and devoid-of-real-information descriptions, are exactly the kinds of people who shouldn't be adopting some of these dogs. Clearly people are well-meaning, but inexperienced and/or clueless, so that the initial error of the kind of dog they get, is compounded by a lack of capacity to assess, manage or train it.

I'm not opposed to cutting a few corners if it means more dogs get out; people adopt dogs from pounds every day and it generally works out OK. If all PR were doing was publicising the available dogs and maybe raising funds to subsidise pound adoptions, I wouldn't be concerned so much.

But by inserting themselves into the process, so that people think they are adopting from a rescue group, and thinking, from the descriptions, that they are adopting a trouble-free dog, PR are behaving unethically. I find their distinction between private adoption and rescue work really squirrelly because they can use it to absolve themselves from responsibility. I don't care if they call it a fancy acronym, it's basically suckering people into taking dogs and hoping that fate will work things out. The fact that things do work out is a credit to the fact that most dogs are solid citizens and most people well-meaing, and both do their best, whatever the circumstances, but it doesn't make PR's approach right.

I am really angry about them moving bull-breed types into Victoria with the kind of legislation we have. Lots of people don't understand the legislation anyway, so PR are putting people and the dogs at risk.

AWESOME! My job here is done, anyone up for joining me for cocktails, possibly on a beach in Fiji? We can call it the "Purists Piss-up".

S

:rofl: I'll join you Shaz

ETA You always make me laugh!

Edited by Nic.B

RSPCA dose do yard check or they used too n RSPCA dosnt home dogs known to be aggressive i dont see how they say they have the same approach. I am not a great fan of RSPCA at times but they are far better than pound rounds any day.

Yes they did one when we adopted our german shepherd and AWL have volunteers there constantly walking dogs etc and

they have behaviourists.

2) We are very excited about the roll out of nationwide program we lovingly call Inmates for Inmates (ex-poundie Assistance Dog Program) supported by training in Correctional Facilities. Began as an experimental program, this program is another first of its kind. The connection between inmates and abandoned pets was unprecedented and this has led, not only to an expansion of the program, but also a formal study on the benefits of poundies for rehabilitation of inmates – and all the while the rehabilitation and training of the pooch!

I would be interested to know which facilities they intend on sinking their teeth into.

there are already programs up and running and why would a govt correctional facility not

use RSPCA or AWL to advance the programs they currently already have in use?

I would be interested to know which facilities they intend on sinking their teeth into.

there are already programs up and running and why would a govt correctional facility not

PR seem to like re-inventing the wheel!

PR seem to like re-inventing the wheel!

... and then doing things their own "special" way... *grin*

T.

Is every single rehoming successful? Sadly no. Just like when we drive a car, the risk of having an accident is serious and all precautions taken.

Just like we drive a car?

This is absolute rubbish from Pound Rounds. When we drive a car we take reasonable precautions, but we expect people selling us cars to have made sure the cars are safe to drive and roadworthy at the time of sale. It's a legal and moral obligation they have to ensure that what they are selling is safe for any reasonable average lay person to buy and use.

Pound Rounds refuse to take any of the precautions that they could be taking to help ensure community safety. This statement claiming to take precautions is an outright lie, and shows how irresponsible they are. There are plenty of known practices which lessen the risk of an adoption going wrong and people and animals being hurt, and those people selling adult dogs have a responsibility to make sure they follow them. Not to blame a person buying a dog in good faith.

I look forward to somebody kicking Pound Round's arse in court and forcing them to take some responsibility for their actions.

I look forward to somebody kicking Pound Round's arse in court and forcing them to take some responsibility for their actions.

Have you seen any of the flak people get from Pound Rounds when the issue of an unsuitable/unsuccessful rehoming comes to light? It's not pretty... there are some scary people mixed up with them, that's for sure! I'm thinking that disgruntled adopters are scared off from seeking any kind of accountability from them - just based on some of the things I've seen and heard.

The big problem with this mob is that they are hell bent on showing the rescue community how "easy" it is to get dogs out of pounds and into homes... unfortunately - as we who have been doing this for some time know from hard experience - it's not as simple of getting an animal released from a pound to "save" it from "being killed". It takes time and effort to get to actually know a dog outside the pound environment, find out what (if any) triggers it may have for adverse behaviours, etc... and then to find a suitable FOREVER home for said dog, so that it has much less chance of ever seeing the inside of a pound again.

What is happening with a lot of Pound Rounds released dogs is that they are being shipped off all over the place, and so when they become a real problem and need to be surrendered to another pound or euthanaised, it is all someone else's problem - the animals never come back to the original pound.

T.

I'm just simply :confused::(:dropjaw::cry::mad: :scared: and a bit :vomit: .

:swear::swear::swear: about all the ethical hard-working rescues having their years of good work used and then ruined.

Local elections coming up. Who can get a story in the Gazette, Blacktown Torch(?) etc about how good rescues work with the pounds, not just fairy-tale weavers?

I was sent this today, I believe this dog is the dog who killed another dog while in foster care. Surely pound rounds have an obligation to disclose this information? she is now kenneled.

I have a favourite - Livia has been in and out of foster care now - through no fault of her own at all - she is such a loving girl and her eyes plead with me every time I visit to get her out of the kennel and take her home - if you have ot...her dogs they would need to be very placid - Livvy was used as a breeder and is sensitive to other dogs wanting to dominate and hurt her anymore - she is special. Beyond special she is beautiful from the very core of her being to the outside. Please think about what it's like to be cold at night - every night - and check with anyone you know who might be able to help her get the love, security and kindness and protection she so richly deserves for the rest of her life.

Edited by Nic.B

I was sent this today, I believe this dog is the dog who killed another dog while in foster care. Surely pound rounds have an obligation to disclose this information? she is now kenneled.

I have a favourite - Livia has been in and out of foster care now - through no fault of her own at all - she is such a loving girl and her eyes plead with me every time I visit to get her out of the kennel and take her home - if you have ot...her dogs they would need to be very placid - Livvy was used as a breeder and is sensitive to other dogs wanting to dominate and hurt her anymore - she is special. Beyond special she is beautiful from the very core of her being to the outside. Please think about what it's like to be cold at night - every night - and check with anyone you know who might be able to help her get the love, security and kindness and protection she so richly deserves for the rest of her life.

WTF is MN doing :mad:mad

It is enough to make you sick, unbelievable.

Another pr's dog bit a child twice on the face and then attacked another dog nearly killing the dog. That dog was sent to a home in VIC from BP. MN arrived at the ladies house in VIC, lied about who she was (gave a false name), took the dog and put him in kennels. He is still there, the kennel owner is not impressed. She left this family with a $2000 vet bill and has since then abused her, lied and bullied her.

She does the same thing every time and treats people exactly the same way.

Thank fully there is more support for pr's victims now and with that support something is being done. It is a lengthy process though and frustrating beyond belife!

There's a few on their facebook that are really worrying, just looking now.

400397_421134314590104_577369286_n.jpg

This one says nothing but 'needs to be an only dog at this stage' with no further details, she looks a strong enough dog for that to be a real, real worry!

It seems, no offence, but they get left with the dregs each week, and to be putting them out with sob stories, capturing some unsuspecting family then popping them on a truck with nothing is just heinous, moreso if there's going to be nastiness if/when it doesn't work out.

Really!