Pound Rounds?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest muttrus

NOW asking everyone to save a pound dog as a xmas present ! save a life and give the gift that keeps on giving :eek:

I must say I was shocked I happen to own two poundies will offer to help other groups where possible have even saved a couple myself I also educate people about the pounds these days BUT I always tell people to go in with their head and not just their heart .Im sorry but the truth is without knowing the dog its history or without some form of testing its completly dangerous .Im all for giving a pet for xmas AS LONG AS BOTH THE GIVER AND RECIEVER are well aware it was happening or willing .How long are the pounds closed for over xmas would there be help available and/or would people know who to turn to This is a risky bussiness especially while peoples emotions have gone into over drive at this time of year .

Using animals to play with human emotions and use for and against is not right .

NOW asking everyone to save a pound dog as a xmas present ! save a life and give the gift that keeps on giving :eek:

I must say I was shocked I happen to own two poundies will offer to help other groups where possible have even saved a couple myself I also educate people about the pounds these days BUT I always tell people to go in with their head and not just their heart .Im sorry but the truth is without knowing the dog its history or without some form of testing its completly dangerous .Im all for giving a pet for xmas AS LONG AS BOTH THE GIVER AND RECIEVER are well aware it was happening or willing .How long are the pounds closed for over xmas would there be help available and/or would people know who to turn to This is a risky bussiness especially while peoples emotions have gone into over drive at this time of year .

Using animals to play with human emotions and use for and against is not right .

OMG,their tactics never fail to sink lower than you can imagine ...

OMG :eek:

Please think about your next Christmas present - make it a baby boy and girl from Blacktown Pound - visit the pound this weekend and take home a present that gives and gives - every year...! Every year a tail wag - smiles for twenty years - loves and cuddles for every family member - fureva! Besdies they are full :-( And we want to save their lives together don't we ......

And the dogs they're advocating are the poor leftover Amstaffy types from Blacktown Pound (where many rescues will have already assessed them). Yep, sure, everyone should get a 30kg Amstaff for their random Christmas present. Maybe I should give one to my sister, surely it will get on ok with her Iggy and three cats and all the visiting foster kids! I have so much sympathy for these dogs but more for the unsuspecting adopters who believe the sales pitch!

Edited by Katdogs

Please think about your next Christmas present - make it a baby boy and girl from Blacktown Pound - visit the pound this weekend and take home a present that gives and gives - every year...! Every year a tail wag - smiles for twenty years - loves and cuddles for every family member - fureva! Besdies they are full :-( And we want to save their lives together don't we ......

And the dogs they're advocating are the poor leftover Amstaffy types from Blacktown Pound (where many rescues will have already assessed them). Yep, sure, everyone should get a 30kg Amstaff for their random Christmas present. Maybe I should give one to my sister, surely it will get on ok with her Iggy and three cats and all the visiting foster kids! I have so much sympathy for these dogs but more for the unsuspecting adopters who believe the sales pitch!

Apparently you should give two to your sister, as they say make it a baby boy and girl!

So, please everyone go and pick two random dogs from the pound and hope they get along with not only the existing family members, but each other too :eek:

Apparently you should give two to your sister, as they say make it a baby boy and girl!

So, please everyone go and pick two random dogs from the pound and hope they get along with not only the existing family members, but each other too :eek:

Oh and they will live for 20 years.....

Guest muttrus

while at my local produce store today a lady and daughter were spending big on dog products she was asking alot of questions so I hung around and offered some advice she was worried about what to feed her new POUND dog I asked from which pound she said BLACKTOWN ---Suprisingly my first question was ""you didn"t get him through pound rounds did you""

She hadn"t and I found myself letting out a small sigh of relief It turns out she adopted a greman shepard she was very happy with him but also abit worried she has kids and assumed he had been fully tested to be safe

I did congrat her on choosing a poundie and gave her my phone numbers should she want any advice on feeding etc

I do feel alittle bad that I was concerned at first about how she got the dog rather than the fact she chose to adopt as her option

while at my local produce store today a lady and daughter were spending big on dog products she was asking alot of questions so I hung around and offered some advice she was worried about what to feed her new POUND dog I asked from which pound she said BLACKTOWN ---Suprisingly my first question was ""you didn"t get him through pound rounds did you""

She hadn"t and I found myself letting out a small sigh of relief It turns out she adopted a greman shepard she was very happy with him but also abit worried she has kids and assumed he had been fully tested to be safe

I did congrat her on choosing a poundie and gave her my phone numbers should she want any advice on feeding etc

I do feel alittle bad that I was concerned at first about how she got the dog rather than the fact she chose to adopt as her option

Glad you offered hope did she get it through a rescue or the pound? One thing I find interesting is that we are all on PR butt (not defending them at all) but pounds generally let you walk in and out with a dog with very little questioning and very little temp testing should pounds be held to a high standard or not allowed to adopt out dogs?

Edited by Greylvr

Glad you offered hope did she get it through a rescue or the pound? One thing I find interesting is that we are all on PR butt (not defending them at all) but pounds generally let you walk in and out with a dog with very little questioning and very little temp testing should pounds be held to a high standard or not allowed to adopt out dogs?

Pounds are not advertising themselves as Rescue Groups.

Pounds are not advertising themselves as Rescue Groups.

No they arnt your right I was just thinking that like the lady above some people do think that the pounds have done things much like a rescue but then again its on the adopter to ask a lot of questions.

Guest muttrus

Please don"t take this the wrong way but the lady was asian and didn"t understand alot so I was telling her in basic terms that she could understand. She did look at me and paused then asked if pounds tested all their animals to make sure they were safe as she said she had several children (only a young girl was with her) There are no local pounds here only the RSPCA .

She said she went looked found the dog and just picked him up after desexing she said the pound was quite clean and seemed to be impressed with her experience .I myself own poundies and have no problems but I did explain that sometimes dogs react differently when in a pound enviroment and just offered some places to look up should she need help or have any questions .

Im not sure if the dog was a pup or adult male or female she said german shepard and was buying adult food not puppy ----Not that that makes a huge difference .

I did get the impression she was very happy with her choice and just wanted to make sure she was giving her new dog a good start in her family afterall she was asking alot of questions about the food varieties and seemed very devoted to doing all she could which for me is wonderfu"l not everyone is able to openly ask for so much help . :D

I have a feeling the dog will be very happy with his new home and the awesome food he will be getting

The pound I worked at did quite a lot of questioning of new adopters, refused quite a few while I was there. The temp testing there was also very strict.