Pound Rounds?

Thanks Julie, I agree it is tough.

The dogs declared dangerous have been in new adoptive homes when the attacks have occured. The dogs are then removed by pr's (usually MN herself) before the dogs are seized by rangers.

These dogs are moved into another state and rehomed without disclosure of behavioural issues nor the DD order.

I will add an example:

***name removed*** you want proof I can give you one example where I have proof, reports, and screenshots. A certain dog, was with a foster carer and whilst there it was responsible for attacking and injuring 3 kids. It also was a major escape artist and would then dig under the pens of other dogs to let them out. He killed farm animals, and was moved to kennels. He was reported to the council for the attacks on kids. This dog was advertised on gumtree as the perfect kids dogs, it stated that he loved kids. When I wrote on the crew wall that stated: Please remove my phone number off the advertisement for Milo I will not be associated with rehoming a dog that has bitten a child under any circumstances. Please make sure my phone number is not on any gumtree advertisements.

Mel Norman then arranged I have proof for the dog in question to be sent to QLD before the council could follow up the attacks further. This dog is still in QLD, and it was never assessed by any professionals at all. Thats just one example, and I have many more all with screen shots, and emails and proof that they do not always do the correct thing by the general public

There is also a screen dump of the dog listing on gumtree. The dog is being advertised as in QLD.

the dogs are not DECLARED DANGEROUS before they are moved and taken out - though clearly they probably ARE dangerous but unless they have actually been officially declared or officially been proposed dangerous BEFORE it is rehomed its not against the law. being reported and being declared aren't the same thing .If there is any evidence that a dog has been officially declared dangerous before it was rehomed then that's breaking the law regardless of whether it was in this state or any other and its a police matter.

This is a very emotional issue not just because we feel the impact which is coming down on individual dogs,and the people who take them but also against the long term impact on private rescue PR but spending energy on this isnt in my opinion the answer because unless they are breaking the law they have as much right as anyone else to decide what they will risk, compromise on and consider to be ethical. [sadly]

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way what sort of system are we working under where dangerous dogs are able to be released from a pound to anyone ?

Released to rescue only is nothing more than a cop out and an assumption they will make the assessments but there are no agreements that they will and no laws or regs requiring them to .If it wasnt PR getting these dogs out in most cases it could be the highest bidder or the first one to want the dog and pay the money .Before any dog is released to anyone or any group these assessments should be made rather than leave it up to the ethics of a bunch of cowboys or the luck for a new owner. Time for some reviews as to how these sort of dogs dont get back into the community.

May I reiterate...

But please still feel free to perpetuate the ugly rumours that have no basis in fact... I'm over giving a rats about them...

I'm not even bothered to respond to the allegations any more - because it doesn't matter what is said or done, these people are hell bent on believing what they will anyways.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way what sort of system are we working under where dangerous dogs are able to be released from a pound to anyone ?

Released to rescue only is nothing more than a cop out and an assumption they will make the assessments but there are no agreements that they will and no laws or regs requiring them to .If it wasnt PR getting these dogs out in most cases it could be the highest bidder or the first one to want the dog and pay the money .Before any dog is released to anyone or any group these assessments should be made rather than leave it up to the ethics of a bunch of cowboys or the luck for a new owner. Time for some reviews as to how these sort of dogs dont get back into the community.

Hawkesbury Pound have been "temp testing" dogs for a few months now which has its own pros and cons.

Hawkesbury Pound have been "temp testing" dogs for a few months now which has its own pros and cons.

Is temp testing via shelter staff? independant? or Rob Zammit Shmoo? Email me if it is easier...

Is temp testing via shelter staff? independant? or Rob Zammit Shmoo? Email me if it is easier...

afaik still by Rob Zammit. I have emailed you too :)

Hello there,

I want to do some christmas fundraising for an animal rescue group, and perhaps organise for others to do the same. Originally I was going to try and raise money for pound rounds due to their very vocal and continuous pleas for help on Facebook. However, after reading what I have here, I no longer want to be involved with Pound Rounds whatsoever... I feel sorry for the dogs they are adopting out willy nilly and the poor people that get the raw end of the deal when it comes to aggressive or unsuitable dogs :(

I was also thinking about helping Needy Paws based in Griffith, NSW, but I thought I would check with the experts on here before going through with that plan.

How can I tell a responsible rescue group from an irresponsible one? Who do I know who to support? I plan on becoming involved in animal rescue as an adopter/fosterer once I have the right resources/situation, but I would like to begin a productive relationship with a worthy rescue group now.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you

Jaid

Jaid it is a hard question to ask. I guess look at what has been said in this thread and make a list of things you believe are essential for you to rank a rescue and then a list of things you believe they should do but are not essential and then look for one that fits your criteria. I would suggest you contact the rescue group and ask if you can visit and speak with someone about how they run, what you believe you have to offer them and what they can offer you in return. All rescues are run differently and it is important to find one that runs as close to your values as possible, that offers clear lines of communication and allows for in-house discussion on why and how things are run.

Most of us agree on these MUSTS:

Dogs quarantined for a min of 10 days post pound.

Temp test dogs before placing in foster homes

ALL necessary vet work completed prior to re-homing

Things you may want to include:

Do they provide all the necessary things for their foster carers, some or none at all.

Do they provide back up in case of the foster placement not working.

Do they have a system for foster carers to gain medical treatment for the dogs (both routine and urgent)

Hi Jaid,

Your desire to help is commendable and whichever group you choose to help will appreciate it, I'm sure! Katrina from CVAR has written a blog post about how to find a pet which includes advice on picking a rescue group, which will give you some more pointers in what to look for. Go to http://www.headingforhome.asn.au and the link is on the front page.

Cheers,

Janey

Hello there,

I want to do some christmas fundraising for an animal rescue group, and perhaps organise for others to do the same. Originally I was going to try and raise money for pound rounds due to their very vocal and continuous pleas for help on Facebook. However, after reading what I have here, I no longer want to be involved with Pound Rounds whatsoever... I feel sorry for the dogs they are adopting out willy nilly and the poor people that get the raw end of the deal when it comes to aggressive or unsuitable dogs :(

I was also thinking about helping Needy Paws based in Griffith, NSW, but I thought I would check with the experts on here before going through with that plan.

How can I tell a responsible rescue group from an irresponsible one? Who do I know who to support? I plan on becoming involved in animal rescue as an adopter/fosterer once I have the right resources/situation, but I would like to begin a productive relationship with a worthy rescue group now.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thank you

Jaid

I take it that you are in the Griffith area?

Maree

CPR

I also have a problem when groups get a dog out of the pound and then go on their FB page and ask people for money to pay for their vet work when in fact the adoption fee would cover the vet cost, unless the dog needs more work done ie dentals, treatment for flea allergies anything outside the norm, this is when you post an appeal on your fb page asking for people to cover those costs.

Maree

CPR

Hi Jaid,

I second Ams' response.

Only I would add that vet work inculde mandatory desexing.

Since you want to look to foster or adopt in the future, do you have a specific breed or type of dog which would suit you/your lifestyle? ie. bull breeds, large breeds, small breeds etc as this may lead you towards a particular rescue group.

Since you are in NSW maybe take a look at the list of rescue organisations on Renbury Farm Animal Shelter website. Renbury really care about the animals and will not deal with groups such as PR. If you don't decide on a rescue group in time for christmas Renbury have a christmas appeal on at the moment. They don't accept monetary gifts but they will always welcome toys (preferably washable) and treats for the poundies in need, details can be found on their FB page.

A lot of the groups have facebook pages, ask questions on there about their operations and if you find your comments get deleted, not answered or you get attacked for asking them then it's probably not a group you want to deal with.

Good luck and thank you for caring about the needies!

Jaid it is a hard question to ask. I guess look at what has been said in this thread and make a list of things you believe are essential for you to rank a rescue and then a list of things you believe they should do but are not essential and then look for one that fits your criteria. I would suggest you contact the rescue group and ask if you can visit and speak with someone about how they run, what you believe you have to offer them and what they can offer you in return. All rescues are run differently and it is important to find one that runs as close to your values as possible, that offers clear lines of communication and allows for in-house discussion on why and how things are run.

Most of us agree on these MUSTS:

Dogs quarantined for a min of 10 days post pound.

Temp test dogs before placing in foster homes

ALL necessary vet work completed prior to re-homing

Things you may want to include:

Do they provide all the necessary things for their foster carers, some or none at all.

Do they provide back up in case of the foster placement not working.

Do they have a system for foster carers to gain medical treatment for the dogs (both routine and urgent)

And more.. :D

http://www.greyhoundhaven.com/ethicalrescue.htm

If a rescue is not willing to answer those questions, I'd be donating my money elsewhere.

Just a quick question - do most reputable rescues temp test (or at least meet) a dog that is surrended (never went to the pound) before being given to a foster carer?

Most reputable ones will definitely make sure that the foster carer is not lumped with a dog they can't handle...

That said, some foster carers are experienced enough to make their own judgement calls.

T.